TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Jan-2010, 7:13 PM   #1
mike

Wpmt fox 43.1 antenna reception

Someone please help me solve this mystery. How can it be that I am able to receive WGAL (8) with a signal strength of 92 percent at the exact compass heading suggested with a fantastic picture and receive no picture or an occasional "blip" of a picture for a second or two at best with a signal strength of 25 at best intermittently for WPMT Fox 43.1 at it's suggested compass heading? The transmitters are only two degrees apart via compass headings and are basically the same distance from me in miles and WPMT if I read the tranmitter power correctly has a stronger signal than WGAL. I am using the StealthAntenna from Channelmaster complete with amplifier and properly synchronized rotor. The antenna's height is approximately 30 feet from the ground. I have even changed the antenna direction several degrees in either direction without any change in WPMT 43.1's perfomance of signal strength or picture. I have zero issues with all the other stations that I should be able to receive for my given location. Thank you in advance for the help.

mike

Last edited by mike; 17-Jan-2010 at 7:27 PM. Reason: additional info
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jan-2010, 8:44 PM   #2
mtownsend

Could you please provide a tvfool report for your exact location?

For one thing, WPMT is a UHF channel and WGAL is a VHF channel. If the performance of the antenna, amp, or receiver is different at such different frequencies, then you will get very different results even if the signal "in the air" is about the same strength.

It looks like the CM 3010 is a bit better at VHF than it is at UHF. That might be one of the main factors causing your troubles.

Last edited by mtownsend; 17-Jan-2010 at 8:50 PM.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jan-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
mike

tv fool report request

thanks for the prompt reply. you requested a location of my exact address and here it is 244 sarhelm road harrisburg, pa 17112. hope this helps and hope to hear from you soon.
Old 18-Jan-2010, 2:24 AM   #4
mtownsend

Here's a link to your tvfool analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c572c41b6ef2b6

It looks like your signals are very strong. You are only about 6 miles from WHP and WITF. You're about 10 miles from WHTM.

Your problem might be due to the signals being too strong and thus overloading your amp. I suggest you try your antenna with the amp completely removed from the setup. At this range, and amp should be unnecessary. The amp could be making things worse rather than better.
Old 19-Jan-2010, 3:54 PM   #5
mike

amplifier specs

Must I physically "remove" the amplifier board from the antenna and replace it with the original board or can I simply unplug the amplifier from it's power source to check for the desired effect? thanks

mike
Old 19-Jan-2010, 4:44 PM   #6
mtownsend

Yes, you usually need to remove the amp completely. An un-powered amp usually acts like a dead circuit and will not let through any signal at all. The original board probably just directly wired the antenna to the coax.