TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Jun-2012, 9:02 PM   #1
johncros

Min safe vertical spacing btwn mount points for the mast

Mounting a Winegard HD-7696P
I have purchased a Ronard 4560 Adjustable Universal Eave Mount. I should have done the geometry before... At full extension, because of the slope roof, I am only going to get 14-15" inches of vertical separation between the two mount points for the mast. I am to use a 5' mast but I guess I do not need to position the antenna at the top. Given the size/weight of the 7696 antenna, is this separation generally enough to keep the antenna from being brought down by wind or a little ice (Atlanta GA) and wind? Are their any general guidelines regarding the distance between the mount points and the height of the antenna on the mast?
Thanks,
John
johncros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2012, 9:18 PM   #2
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Broadcast Tv Reception.

The mounting and antenna will be fine. Use strong sturdy screws.

Here are light weight aluminum lay over antenna towers. Do antenna mounting and adjustments standing on the ground. http://www.palcoelectronics.com

Last edited by Electron; 14-Jun-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2012, 9:21 PM   #3
signals unlimited

The vertical dimmension is ok if well ancored. I would cut the mast down to all that is needed to place the antenna only as high as needed. Even if you only remove a foot of mast, you decrease the torque on the mount.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jun-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
johncros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
The mounting and antenna will be fine. Use strong sturdy screws.

Here are light weight aluminum lay over antenna towers. Do antenna mounting and adjustments standing on the ground. http://www.palcoelectronics.com
I thought about a tower for a little bit but my wife would never go for it I am trying the eaves mount because I did not want to go through the hassle of trying to secure a roof mount and penetrations with my cathedral ceiling. The mounting bracket comes with 1/4"x2" wood screws that I will be installing into hardiplank that I believe is backed by a 1"x4" board. I think they will be solid. Looking at most examples of chimney mounts and tripods, they seem to all use a larger separation. In your experience, have you encountered any general guidelines regarding antenna height and the separation between the mount points?
Thanks

Last edited by johncros; 15-Jun-2012 at 2:13 PM. Reason: fix spelling, complete comment
Old 15-Jun-2012, 1:06 PM   #5
johncros

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
The vertical dimension is ok if well anchored. I would cut the mast down to all that is needed to place the antenna only as high as needed. Even if you only remove a foot of mast, you decrease the torque on the mount.
At first, I was thinking to extend the mast before I calculated the limited vertical separation. I believe you are right, mount it as low as I can and still all of the antenna elements clear the roof. It does not look like there are any antenna elements directly above the mount point. Is it important to cut the mast down as opposed to just mount the antenna lower on the mast?

I guess it is an engineering calculation balancing the shearing force a 2"x.25" wood screw will sustain before it either shears off or pulls out of the combination of a pine 1"x4" and hardieplank by the the torque exerted by the wind against the profile of the mast and antenna. I have no idea how to calculate that. Thinking about the distance between the mast mount points and the arms that extend to the eves, it does seem like that distance would act as a lever to increase the ability to resist the torque applied.
From your experience, are you aware of any general rule of thumb about the proportion of the mast that should be secured below the highest mount point of a mast?
Thanks
Old 15-Jun-2012, 5:52 PM   #6
Electron

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception

The holes in the mounting bracket will determin the maximum size of the screws.

Just dont use tiny litte screws.

Having the antenna 2 to 3 feet above mounting bracket is fine.

Yes it is ok to have mounting pipe above the antenna.

The antenna is not that big and Will Not lift the roof off the house with a strong wind.

It is possible to look to closely at a situation. And the result is a lack of action.

Last edited by Electron; 15-Jun-2012 at 6:56 PM.
Old 15-Jun-2012, 7:13 PM   #7
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and more.

So put the antenna up with the eave mount and then if a channel or two is on the edge of reliable reception.
Then the wife will think of the idea of installing a tower.