TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Nov-2011, 3:22 AM   #1
jazz

Reception Question for Northern Vermont

Hi,
I am looking to cancel my comcast cable in favor of using a tv antenna for digital tv. I am planning on installing the antenna in my attic over the garage. Below is the link to the tv signal analysis results. Would appreciate feedback on what tv antennas would satify my needs. Thank you.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec127bb0beb310
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2011, 2:54 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Attics attenuate and reflect signals. Exactly how much depends on the materials used and the moisture in and on the roof. Wet snow can make an otherwise reliable attic install unusable.

I would opt for a Winegard HD7694P or larger, if it will fit in the space. Point toward 85° compass.

If you can mount outside, clear of obstructions, an RCA ANT-751 would be sufficient.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2011, 1:25 PM   #3
Billiam

Jazz. Are you planning to watch any stations out of Montreal? If so, you will need a much larger antenna than the one GUM recommended. Let us know.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2011, 5:49 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Jazz. Are you planning to watch any stations out of Montreal? If so, you will need a much larger antenna than the one GUM recommended. Let us know.
Agreed. (An attic install has little hope of seeing the Canadian stations.)

Old 30-Nov-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
jazz

Thank you both. I am not interested in picking up stations from Montreal and an attic installation is my preference. I went to the Winegard website and found the HD7694P that you recommended. From the website, I saw the following... "Please be aware that attic installations will reduce signal by 50% and roofing made of cement tile, clay tiles or metal will reduce signal by 90%." My roof is made of wooden trusses, plywood and asphalt singles. Any issue?

Also, the spec sheet recommends a AP Series pre-amp. Is that necessary for my application?

Thanks.
Old 30-Nov-2011, 6:26 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Thank you both. I am not interested in picking up stations from Montreal and an attic installation is my preference. I went to the Winegard website and found the HD7694P that you recommended. From the website, I saw the following... "Please be aware that attic installations will reduce signal by 50% and roofing made of cement tile, clay tiles or metal will reduce signal by 90%." My roof is made of wooden trusses, plywood and asphalt singles. Any issue?

Also, the spec sheet recommends a AP Series pre-amp. Is that necessary for my application?

Thanks.
Your attic construction sounds like it will work... The real test requires putting an antenna up there. As I mentioned previously, a load of wet snow will be the ultimate test for your installation.

How many sets will you connect and how many feet of coax will be run from the antenna to the farthest set? For a single TV and 100 feet or less coax, I would definitely try the install with no amplifier.

Old 30-Nov-2011, 1:53 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
My roof is made of wooden trusses, plywood and asphalt singles. Any issue?
That's the best you could get. Will you be aiming through the roof or through the gable end? If gable, what's the siding?
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
jazz

Thanks again for your responses. Regarding the number of sets and the length of coax, I am planning for only 1 set at this time and the length of coax will be less 50 feet. So it looks like I am good to go without using a pre-amp.

Regarding which way the antenna will be aimed, 85 degrees compass is through the roof, not through the gable end.

Appreciate your help. I plan on ordering the Winegard this weekend. I'll write back once it is installed (hopefully by year end). Appreciate your help.