TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Dec-2016, 5:18 PM   #1
McInRantz

Reception/Antenna Help in Toledo Ohio Please

Hi everyone again.

I live in Toledo, Ohio, and because of where I live in Toledo, I am "near" the transmission towers for most of my local channels and, therefore, I can pick up all my locals with really good reception using just a set of rabbit ears.

I have a friend on the other side of town. Toledo is really not that big of a town, maybe 15 miles across geographically. Anyway, she can't pick up hardly any of our local stations except 2 (out of 20+ available). I've tried different types of indoor antennas and none have improved the situation.

When I run the TVFool analysis for her house address, all of the local stations come up in "green" which correspondingly states that a simple "set top" antenna should be sufficient to pick up the local channels. Here's the Reference link to the data I obtained:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfafcb32ddef00

Installing an antenna tower is going to be out of the question because of cost constraints. Also, she lives in a single story house, so I'm not sure how high I could get an antenna mounted on the roof or chimney, if that is what is necessary. It surely wouldn't be 30ft. I may be able to get one up 20ft or so.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.
McInRantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2016, 5:41 PM   #2
McInRantz

Here is a 2nd TVFR that I ran using the method described in the sticky at the top of this forum using only the zip code and then dragging the moveable cursor to the exact location in question. It looks pretty much like the first report I ran. I used 20ft as the height of the antenna before I made the radar plot. Here is the link to the report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf07d48e5ffe

I'm apprehensive about buying/installing an antenna that will not improve the situation only to have buy another different type and to "try again". I really need some help on what to buy that will work.

Thanks

Last edited by McInRantz; 3-Dec-2016 at 5:45 PM.
Old 3-Dec-2016, 5:49 PM   #3
Tower Guy

I'd consider an ANT-751. Get it outside but no need to go to extreme heights. Try an eave mount or even mounted on the east side of the house. Aim it at 103 degrees
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2016, 7:12 PM   #4
McInRantz

Hey. Thanks for responding. I think the east side is going to be out of the question because that's the front of the house and I'm pretty sure that my friend isn't going to want that antenna there.

Also, I was reading some reviews on this antenna and I would say the majority say it is pretty flimsy and cheaply made. Is there a better alternative?

Also, I was hoping someone would address the TVFR report I posted the link to since all of the stations in green that I'm trying to capture have NM(dB) readings of 50 and above, yet I am unable to receive any of them (except 2) with any indoor antenna I have tried. It seems with numbers like that I should be able to get them.

Tony
Old 6-Dec-2016, 1:54 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Two well built antennas that are good for you would be the Antennas Direct C2V or the Winegard Freevision.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote