TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Jul-2014, 3:11 AM   #1
jtnichol

25' High enough? Tested CS5 indoors.

I tested a Clearstream 5 indoors that belongs to my brother. Some channels came in.

I'm thinking of putting a Clearstream 4 up on the peak of my roof. I'm in a valley with trees and houses.

My estimated results at 25'

I have two TVs.

Thoughts on parts or application to get this going?

thanks
jtnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jul-2014, 1:59 PM   #2
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnichol View Post
I tested a Clearstream 5 indoors that belongs to my brother. Some channels came in.
That's pretty impressive considering it's a VHF-only design, and there's only one VHF channel in the area. The Clear Stream 4 is UHF, and should do considerably better. Consider also the 91XG, which has a very narrow beam width and even higher gain, since all your stations are in a very tight group, but 2-edge conditions. There's certainly no risk of too much signal strength, and I don't think it's overdoing it to go with the highest gain antenna you can reasonably use.

You have no need for VHF, since ABC on real 29 is your strongest channel and in the same direction as the others, while ABC on real 7 is weak, and in another direction altogether.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jul-2014, 3:29 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The C5 does "better" on UHF than a lot of forum regulars might expect, but it's certainly not the antenna for this location as the UHF signals are way too weak for anything other than a directional UHF antenna aimed at KC. You can point the C5 at St Joe for channel 7 if you're interested in it.

91XG, DB8, DB8e, or C4 are all viable candidates to the job. Add a sensitive, fringe area preamp like the PA18 and see if you can find a spot where you have a decent signal path to KC. FYI, trees plus weak UHF signals usually is a recipe for frustration, so do the best you can.

Cheers!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jul-2014, 8:27 PM   #4
jtnichol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
That's pretty impressive considering it's a VHF-only design, and there's only one VHF channel in the area. The Clear Stream 4 is UHF, and should do considerably better. Consider also the 91XG, which has a very narrow beam width and even higher gain, since all your stations are in a very tight group, but 2-edge conditions. There's certainly no risk of too much signal strength, and I don't think it's overdoing it to go with the highest gain antenna you can reasonably use.

You have no need for VHF, since ABC on real 29 is your strongest channel and in the same direction as the others, while ABC on real 7 is weak, and in another direction altogether.
Thanks for this vote of confidence and advice. This forum ROCKS thanks to you and ADTech below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The C5 does "better" on UHF than a lot of forum regulars might expect, but it's certainly not the antenna for this location as the UHF signals are way too weak for anything other than a directional UHF antenna aimed at KC. You can point the C5 at St Joe for channel 7 if you're interested in it.

91XG, DB8, DB8e, or C4 are all viable candidates to the job. Add a sensitive, fringe area preamp like the PA18 and see if you can find a spot where you have a decent signal path to KC. FYI, trees plus weak UHF signals usually is a recipe for frustration, so do the best you can.

Cheers!
ADTech, I'm going to look at the existing coax and find out where they intersect. Of course I'll NOT tie into the the same COAX from the TWC company because I still have their internet. I'm running to two TV's.

Of all the antennas/amp you listed can you recommend the setup you would encourage? Although I can't say money is no object, I tend to buy quality parts. I rarely go cheap. I'd rather go with robust/quality if at all possible.

Now that cable is cut I'm saving $120 per month.
jtnichol is offline   Reply With Quote