TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Aug-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
ngreenberg

Trouble getting VHF channels in Boulder, Colorado

Hi All,

I am new to the whole OTA thing, but on a whim, purchased and installed the following equipment for my house (see report here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeceb419e971)

Antennacraft HD1850 aimed at 168 degrees Mag. North
|
|
VHF/UFH Signal Splitter
|
|
Antennacraft 10G222 High Gain VHF/UHF Antenna Pre-Amplifier
|
|
TV Set

I am getting great coverage of KXDP, KDVR, KCNC (as well as others) and after a couple of channel installations with the TV, KMGH. However, I cannot get KUSA to come in. This doesn't add up since that channel has a stronger signal than some of the channels that are coming in great, and is broadcast from the same location as those channels. In fact, I used to get decent reception using in-house rabbit ears.

What should I try next?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
ngreenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2013, 7:45 PM   #2
teleview

168 degree magnetic compass direction is the other , north , aka , South.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Old School magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Channels 7 and 9 in the VHF high band of channels 7 thru 13 are effected in a negative way more by multi-path reflections off of , mountains , hills , buildings and trees / tree leaves , etc. .

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

---->Adjust the aim of the antenna for best reception.<----

---->Changing location of antenna can also improve reception.<----

Removing ALL of the amplifier , remove the preamp unit , remove the power injector , remove the power supply.

Can improve reception.

Reason , the amplifier amplifies the main signal and the reflected signals.

The reflected signals are weaker of signal strength then the main signal.

So removing amplification will reduce the signal strength of the reflected signal and then most of the time the reflected signal will be weak enough that the computer in the tuner can correct the reception.
______

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

Last edited by teleview; 17-Sep-2013 at 6:09 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 28-Aug-2013, 7:58 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Remove the VHF/UHF splitter. Remove the amplifier.

With the Antenna connected to one TV, what are the results?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2013, 8:28 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You're back in the foothills of the Eastern Range and your signal path to Lookout Mountain is obstructed.

Several possibilities:

1. FM interference due to the pre-amp. Eliminate the unneeded amp, add one or two FM filters coming off antenna.

2. Multipath or other concern that is causing a signal cancellation of one or several particular stations. Move the antenna.

One or both of those should fix it.

FM filters are available at Radio Shack, cat # 15-0024.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
ngreenberg

Thanks for all of the help. I eliminated the amplifier (this had no effect) and realized that I was aiming the antenna in the wrong direction--I had switched the front and back (this resulted in channel 9 coming in, but 22 and 31 no longer come in). My next thought is to add the preamp back in, but I would welcome any suggested steps.

Thanks!!
ngreenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
teleview

Amplifiers Are Not the answer to , bad coax , bad connectors , bad couplers , and etc. .

ALL , coax , connectors , couplers , and etc , are suspect of being bad through out the antenna system.

Before adding the amplifier in to the system.

To prove reception.

Connect a NEW matching transformer (balun) to the HD1850 antenna.

Connect a NEW continues length of RG-6 coax with the Compression type connectors on the ends of the New coax , not the old crimp type connectors on the ends of the coax.

Connect to the New matching transformer and run the New continues length of coax through a open door or window , direct to 1 Tv.

Do a Double Rescan.