TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jul-2014, 4:13 AM   #1
Smith

Weird result

Hello everyone,

So, I recently moved to a more rural area between zip codes 62947 (Herod IL and 62938 (Golconda IL) and now need OTA TV. I was given a rather large antenna, the kind that looks like chevrons, and put it up temporarily on a 10 foot 2x4 There is a coax adapter on the antenna, from which I ran the cable to the TV. I am going to try and attach a pic of the antenna, which looks just like a Channel Master CM3020.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6c24c00add2

I pointed the apex of the chevrons north, and auto-programmed. The TV identified 13 channels, 2 WSIL, 3 WPSD, 3 WTCT, 3 KET PBS channels, and 2 channel 9's that don't come in.

The WSIL's were the same programming and didn't come in solidly, kinda in and out from time to time, the WPSD's were pretty good reception, the WTCT's all came in well, the KET PBS channels also came in well.

Over the course of a few days, I lost the WPSD's, then the KET PBS, then the WTCT's. Eventually, all that remained were the WSIL's, and some intermittent KET PBS - not watchable.

So, today, I switched directions and pointed the chevrons approximately south and re-programmed. Now, I got the WSIL's coming in really well, the WPSD's are back and better than before - and that's it.

I do not care about the WTCT channels ,but I would not mind getting the KET PBS channels back.

On Saturday, I will have some time to play with directions, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Antenna:

Channel Master 3020
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2014, 6:44 AM   #2
teleview

+=>

Please make and post a tvfool report using the Exact address and make the antenna height 25 feet above ground.

If the the Exact address does not work.

The go to the tvfool home page and click on , >>Start MAPS<<.

Enter a zip code and then move the pointer on the map to the Exact location of reception.

Make the antenna height 25 feet above ground.

Make and post the tvfool report.
Old 25-Jul-2014, 7:45 AM   #3
Stereocraig

It would almost seem like the apex should point toward the station, but it's just the opposite. (like a funnel)
Here are a few different designs and their orientation.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

A zip-code level plot is usually close to useless since terrain and conditions across that area may vary significantly.

Please use the instructions in the sticky about the "reliable method" to generate a new plot if you need further analysis.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2014, 2:33 PM   #5
Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereocraig View Post
It would almost seem like the apex should point toward the station, but it's just the opposite. (like a funnel)
Here are a few different designs and their orientation.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Stereocraig,

That was very helpful and also explains the improvement in WSIL. Thank you.
Old 25-Jul-2014, 3:22 PM   #6
Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
A zip-code level plot is usually close to useless since terrain and conditions across that area may vary significantly.

Please use the instructions in the sticky about the "reliable method" to generate a new plot if you need further analysis.
ADTech, thank you for the pointer to the sticky.

Ok, this is exact.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6ec1d44321f

The plot looks considerable different now, it really changes everything. My actual antenna height is like 10 feet, lots of trees around.

Looks like if I point the antenna to the west, I ought to have a better selection.

Last edited by Smith; 25-Jul-2014 at 7:01 PM. Reason: observation
Old 28-Jul-2014, 9:15 AM   #7
teleview

+=>

Aim the antenna at about 267 degree magnetic compass direction.

As always , the antenna aim can adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.