TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Jul-2017, 1:35 PM   #1
John76

Help with RI Antenna recommendation and install

I could use help on an antenna recommendation and installation in Rhode Island. I would like to be able to get ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS from Providence and Boston, however I could settle for less. I have 2 TV's I would connect.

I could install an antenna about 20 ft off the ground on the side of the house near where my cable tv enters the house, which faces Providence and Boston.

Here is my signal analysis. Thanks. John

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a422cf733387
John76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2017, 2:08 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, John

I suggest a Winegard HD7694P antenna aimed at 22 degrees magnetic. An alternative is the Antennas Direct C2V.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Jul-2017 at 2:14 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2017, 2:21 PM   #3
John76

I am looking at finally purchasing an Antenna. I am looking at the Antennas Direct C2V. Is there any benefit to going to the C4V? It seems from reading the threads bigger based on situation might be worse. Any significant difference or benefit to the CS2Max? Or 4Max?

I reran the TV Fool report. For some reason it appears WJAR NBC dropped off the report.

Thanks. John
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60edb36fc96ea6

Last edited by John76; 27-Nov-2017 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Added link for report
Old 27-Nov-2017, 3:14 PM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The C2V should work. The VHF "V" dipole doesn't have much gain, but your two strongest channels are VHF, so it should be OK. It is difficult to predict the exact results; many unknown factors are involved.
Quote:
Is there any benefit to going to the C4V? It seems from reading the threads bigger based on situation might be worse.
The C4V has a little more UHF gain, but it has a narrower beamwidth, but the two main directions are only 12 degrees apart.
Quote:
Any significant difference or benefit to the CS2Max? Or 4Max?
They are now being sold in stores instead of the C2V and C4V, but they don't have reflectors. You need the reflectors to increase gain and reduce multipath interference.

The reflectors are an extra cost accessory for the CS2MAX and CS4MAX.
Quote:
I reran the TV Fool report. For some reason it appears WJAR NBC dropped off the report.
TVFool is now using a database for reports that is defective. Your old report is more accurate.

***Alert*** New database has serious issue ***
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16376

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-Nov-2017 at 3:24 PM.
Old 27-Nov-2017, 6:28 PM   #5
John76

Thanks rabbit73.

I ordered the C2V. My plan is to hold outside 2nd story window and check levels on one TV and then adjust from there.

I'll have a 25 ft RG6 Quad shield from antenna to inside. I will need to split for 2 TV's. One will have a 15ft run and the second will be about 25ft (RG6 Quad shield).

What type of splitter should I use? I currently have a 2 way Antronix (from cable TV). Do I need to consider any amplification?
Thanks
John
Old 27-Nov-2017, 7:29 PM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

If it is the Antronix CMC2002H, it should be OK.
Quote:
Do I need to consider any amplification?
I doubt it, if your report is accurate, and there are no trees or buildings in the signal path. Too much amplification can overload a tuner.

Do either of your TVs have a signal strength indicator?

If you find that the signals OK with just one TV and no splitter, but too weak after splitting, add a CM3410 before the splitter or substitute a CM3412 for the splitter.

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Nov-2017 at 3:23 AM.
Old 5-Dec-2017, 4:40 PM   #7
John76

I wanted to follow-up on my progress.

Purchased the Antennas Direct CV2. Over the weekend, I connected it to a TV with a tuner propped on a chair in an upstairs bedroom facing toward roughly 22 degrees. On the initial scan I received most channels desired; all Providence, and some Boston stations. I then held the antenna a little higher and rescanned. After a few attempts and adjustments, I was getting all Boston channels desired except one but had a real good idea the direction the antenna needed to face..

Feeling confident, I mounted on the exterior of my house, ran the co-ax and ground cable. I then connected again to the single TV tuner and rescanned. Fantastic, I had all Providence (4 Networks + PBS) and Boston (4 Networks + PBS) stations desired! The preliminary testing was key as (at least so far) once mounted on the house I did not have to make any further adjustments. Once the spring comes I will see if there is any degradation from trees and leaves.

I now have to properly get the 2nd TV with no OTA tuner installed. I have ordered "1byone" tuner from Amazon. I have a Silicon Dust HomeRun but there does not seem to be a good client available on either the Roku or Vizio Smartcast platforms.

I realize that my report was not the most challenging. Reading posts of locations trying to pull in a "whisper" of signal requires a lot of knowledge, effort, and trial and error. The posts on this site are full of really helpful knowledge. It helped me get up to speed on something I knew very little about and figure out what I should do. The Online Maps Aerial view was really useful getting the direction right. Many thanks to all.

John
Old 5-Dec-2017, 5:05 PM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thank you for the report, John; we appreciate it. Your research and testing gave good results.