TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Digital TV and Mobile DTV

Notices

Old 20-Feb-2015, 6:50 AM   #1
dalis

Wink Help with TV to work with OTA

Really liking the idea and having fun playing with OTA. Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but I have a problem with the television.

Made a simple antenna with two wires and just wanted to see what channels I could get. Indoor and scanning two tvs I was able to pick up 13 channels, if I held the antenna near the window.

Our shower has a waterproof TV from China. It has PAL and NTSC and my settings are correct for north america. I can scan with cable company and picks up channels but with my homemade antenna I get nothing. The tv when it scans it scans mhz from approx 100-900mhz and then stores the channels in the presets.

My question is what kind of tv do I have? Will it ever work with OTA? Is it just my homemade antenna not letting me pickup channels. Do I need a combo vhf/uhf antenna? Thanks in advance

Last edited by dalis; 20-Feb-2015 at 6:52 AM.
dalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis View Post
Really liking the idea and having fun playing with OTA. Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but I have a problem with the television.

Made a simple antenna with two wires and just wanted to see what channels I could get. Indoor and scanning two tvs I was able to pick up 13 channels, if I held the antenna near the window.

Our shower has a waterproof TV from China. It has PAL and NTSC and my settings are correct for north america. I can scan with cable company and picks up channels but with my homemade antenna I get nothing. The tv when it scans it scans mhz from approx 100-900mhz and then stores the channels in the presets.

My question is what kind of tv do I have? Will it ever work with OTA? Is it just my homemade antenna not letting me pickup channels. Do I need a combo vhf/uhf antenna? Thanks in advance
If it scans cable channels, then it should not scan OTA channels, and vice-versa. There should be a menu setting somewhere that switches from ATSC (digital OTA) encoding to QAM (cable) encoding. NTSC won't work anymore - there is almost nothing in the air that is NTSC encoded (and what little is left is required to be gone by 2015). Set to cable mode, you should get nothing from an antenna.

You'd probably be better off posting in the "Help with Reception" forum here. That's more on topic for you and is much more active than this forum.

Last edited by timgr; 20-Feb-2015 at 11:36 AM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2015, 3:16 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
My question is what kind of tv do I have?
One without a digital tuner which makes it useless for antenna TV without a converter of some kind.

Can't say I've ever seen a TV for IN the shower....

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2015, 3:30 AM   #4
dalis

I went searching everywhere in the menu, could not find any place to switch it to antenna

Adtech: We've had this shower for about 8 years, attached pic of it. Same as this one
Looks like I'm sol because our hot tub has the same tv but 19" from a US supplier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (18.6 KB, 1478 views)
dalis is offline   Reply With Quote