TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
HockeyGuy

Help with antenna selection for newbie

I recently cut my cable service and I want to be able to receive ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox OTA. I'm new to all this, and from what I understand it might be a little bit challenging to accomplish given my location. Here is my Signal Analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243c11c6dfd3a

I have a two story house with red clay tile roof, so I'm thinking of going with an eave mount on the second story. Cable run will probably be about 80 to 90', and I'm only going to one TV.

I'd like to keep the antenna on the smaller side if possible. How would an RCA ANT751 do? Or what about a Channel Master CM-2018? Any other recommendations?

Last edited by HockeyGuy; 20-Sep-2014 at 12:09 AM.
HockeyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-2014, 1:40 AM   #2
HockeyGuy

Do I need to post any additional information? I'd really appreciate some help figuring out what antenna will fit my location. Many thanks in advance!!
Old 21-Sep-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
tomfoolery

If all you want is those four stations, they're all available between 256 and 265 magnetic. But I don't think the ANT751r, HBU11, or CM2018 have enough gain for reliable reception, especially with 2-edge refraction for all of them. 100 ft of RG-6 will cost something like 6dB at the higher frequencies, and you don't have all that much to start with.

I think an ideal setup would be the DB8e with the two panels aimed at about 163 and 260 magnetic, plus a Y10713 aimed about 260 for real channels 7 and 12. But there will be a lot of duplicate channels, and the Y10713 is big. That doesn't include low-VHF, but they seem to be all religious and spanish language stations (and a couple are off the air), so if you want them too, that requires an even larger antenna.

For a compromise, something like the HBU44 aimed at about 260 magnetic is what I'd try. If you have a clear shot to the horizon (no trees), maybe smaller would work (HBU33, 22), but I just don't know.

And whatever you use, you may benefit from tilting it up a little to aim for the top of the ridge to your west.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-2014, 3:37 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
2-edge refraction
FYI

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...d=57&Itemid=78

The correct term is "diffraction", the bending and scattering of the waves as they pass the edge or boundary of a physical obstacle.

"Refraction" refers to the change of direction of a wave as it passes through the boundary between two mediums.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 21-Sep-2014 at 3:41 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Sep-2014, 2:18 AM   #5
HockeyGuy

Thanks for the replies!

Would a Channel Master CM-3018 be comparable to the HBU44?