TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Sep-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
upks

Reception Wever IA

Hello,
I am trying to pull in my local channels (7 and 10) better.

The channels come and go, and if I were to guess I would say they work 50% of the time.

Here is my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243674531fb57

Right now I have 2 antennas.

1st is a Wineguard MS 2002.

2nd in a Denny's EZ HD.

They each have a coax that runs about 100' into the house.

The wineguard then goes into the amplifier.

I have then ran both coax's into a 2-1 splitter.

From there I ran into a skywalker distribution amplifier.

From the dis. amp. I go to a four way splitter, then to my tv's.

I have purchased a channel master 7777, but have not received it yet. Will this make my reception better?
upks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 2:05 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Nope. It will probably make matters worse because, at 30 dB gain and with a local in your back yard, it will probably overload, especially if the signal hits that distribution amplifier.

If you want reliable reception of channels 7 & 10 out of Quincy, you need to put up a larger directional antenna pointed at them. You will also likely need to re-consider the rest of your collection of equipment depending on what you're trying to accomplish with it.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 6:04 PM   #3
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by upks View Post
Hello,
I am trying to pull in my local channels (7 and 10) better.

The channels come and go, and if I were to guess I would say they work 50% of the time.

Here is my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243674531fb57

Right now I have 2 antennas.

1st is a Wineguard MS 2002.

2nd in a Denny's EZ HD.

They each have a coax that runs about 100' into the house.

The wineguard then goes into the amplifier.
The primary function of a pre-amplifier is to boost the signal before it goes through the transmission line.

Quote:

I have then ran both coax's into a 2-1 splitter.
If you mean combiner and not splitter, try using each antenna separately. You might consider temporarily replacing the splitter/combiner with an A/B switch.

Quote:

From there I ran into a skywalker distribution amplifier.

From the dis. amp. I go to a four way splitter, then to my tv's.

I have purchased a channel master 7777, but have not received it yet. Will this make my reception better?
It might, but what you are really doing is making an already complicated system even more so. If you are trying to avoid switching between the antennas and the new amplifier doesn't help, you might try turning, raising or lowering one of them.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
upks

The pre amp was supposed to be here yesterday, but it did not come.

I was thinking of trying to attach it to the ez hd antenna, and unhooking the wineguard ms2002.

The ez hd is facing south at 184 degrees.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 5-Sep-2014, 2:39 PM   #5
StephanieS

Greetings upks,

I'm with ADTech on reassessing your system from tip to tail. I can see a much more efficient set up for you.

We will be combining TWO antennas to bring in signals from Hannibal and Quad Cities.

First, let's start with signals we'd be focusing on for the first antenna:
Real channel 7 KHQA CBS/ABC Hannibal
Real channel 10 WGEM NBC/CW/FOX Hannibal

This will require an Antennacraft Y10713 VHF antenna.

The second antenna will be a Antennas Direct DB8e.

This will focus on:
Real channel 36 KWQC NBC Quad Cities
Real channel 38 WQAD ABC Quad Cities
Real channel 49 KLJB FOX Quad Cities

This in effect will give you nice coverage of both markets. I would further expect a couple of strong signals you aren't pointing at, for example K28JD-D which is a repeater of KIIN PBS to be recieved as well.

Orientate Y10713 to magnetic heading 185. Orientate DB8e to magnetic heading 46. Use a roof tripod mount or a chimney mount. On your mast make sure DB8e is mounted at the top with the Y10713 about 4' below it.

Now, you need to combine the antennas. A 2-1 one splitter is a bad idea as it just "throws" both sets VHF/VHF and UHF/UHF of signals together, which is recipe for problems for reception. If I were in your situation I'd use Antennas Direct EU385CF combiner. This combiner specifically combines VHF only and UHF only signals into one downlead. From there, with 4 splits required a distribution amp is something further I'd install. I would remove the Skywalker distribution amp in favor of a Channel Master's CM3414 4 port amp. This unit is suited exactly for this as it provides a 4 way split and amplification. Additionally, it has excellent reviews.

Run your leads to your TVs off the distribution amp.

What you have in the end is no need for a A/B switch and you will have Hannibal and some Quad Cities without changing anything.

It is worth noting amplification is best left to occurring once in your chain. If you have multiple amplifications, weird things can start to happen. For simplicities sake, single amplification is the best way to go unless no other option is available. You may be wondering why I've not suggested a preamp. In this case, I'd rather have the amplification at the end of your combiner downlead rather than at the antennas. Where you'd be losing signal will be the 4 port split. That is where you need to try to offset signal losses.

So my advice, toss the Winegard, toss the Denny's EZ HD. Return the Channel master 7777 preamp as your application is not what it was designed for and there is a strong likelyhood with the 7777 in-line, you reception would worsen (overloading). In short, build a precise system targeting the specific signals you want. You need something higher octane and gain. Neither of those antennas are suited for your reception situation.

If you are "2 into 1" splitting them, you are just making them perform worse. Antenna combination requires specific combiners and antennas.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 5-Sep-2014 at 8:06 PM. Reason: Revised thoughts RE: Skywalker distribution amp
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
upks

Hello,

I appreciate all of your responses!!!

Ok, I received the Channel Master 7777 and as you all had stated it did not help.

I called Solid Signal (where I purchased the C.M. 7777) and asked them about the Antennacraft Y10713 which is what StephanieS recommended.

They said that didn't seem like a good fit and recommended a Winegard HD 7698P Platinum.

So, is this a better option for me or are they just trying to sell me an antenna that costs alot more money?

Thanks,
Kris
Old 17-Sep-2014, 2:05 AM   #7
ADTech

It all depends on the complete list of stations you're specifically focused on receiving, you haven't told us.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 17-Sep-2014, 2:16 AM   #8
upks

Sorry, that would help if I said the stations I want to receive wouldn't it.

The only channels I a care to get are 7 and 10 which are both south at 184.

Thanks!
Old 17-Sep-2014, 9:57 AM   #9
ADTech

If those are the only two stations and you don't care about anything else, then go with the Y10713.

Old 17-Sep-2014, 8:29 PM   #10
StephanieS

Hello Kris,

Solid Signal while a nice outfit to buy from, their tech advice is hit or miss. Having a single Winegard when you have two distinct headings and different bands to contend with, a single antenna Winegard would not be my choice. The customer service rep is giving you a single "quick" recommendation without really looking at the nuances of your situation.

Solid Signal's people yes, want you to buy an antenna. It's not a bad thing, but in the end they are a business.

There is a much larger wealth of experience and knowledge on this site than someone who doesn't take the time to really plot out the best chances for the reception you want.

That being said, the recommendations here will be higher quality and more tailored to your exact needs than a 3 1/2 minute phone call.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upks View Post

I called Solid Signal (where I purchased the C.M. 7777) and asked them about the Antennacraft Y10713 which is what StephanieS recommended.

Last edited by StephanieS; 17-Sep-2014 at 8:36 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote