TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Mar-2014, 3:29 PM   #21
teleview

+=>
-----
Real World information about the CM4229HD antenna is easy to find.

Here is some information.

http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparis...F_Shootout.htm

The Big Broad Flat Vertical Surface receives more signal then smaller vertical surface antennas.
Old 14-Mar-2014, 8:11 PM   #22
brg88tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-----

The Big Broad Flat Vertical Surface receives more signal then smaller vertical surface antennas.
yes, I did see that test that was very favorable to the 4228hd. it would seem to me the 4228hd is superior to the cs2-v for high vhf, but I cannot find anything directly comparing them. I'm mostly concerned about channels 8, 11, & 13.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2014, 10:10 PM   #23
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-----

Tom's experiment are not a substitute for technical data.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
yes, I did see that test that was very favorable to the 4228hd. it would seem to me the 4228hd is superior to the cs2-v for high vhf, but I cannot find anything directly comparing them. I'm mostly concerned about channels 8, 11, & 13.
I would have no qualms going with the much smaller C2V. I was down in Galveston in a condo near the state park two springs ago and I used a C2V indoors for all the Houston channels. At night, after the sun set, I was even picking up stations from Beaumont and Corpus.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2014, 10:38 PM   #25
teleview

+=>
-----
If all out , go for it reception is the Ticket.

Then install a ,

http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU55 antenna.

Or

http://www.winegarddirect.com.

HD7698P antenna.

Above the Peak of the Roof.

The receivable Group Tv stations are concentrated in one direction.

And the 1 Tv station to the North West is strong signal strength and will be receive through the back angle to the , HBU55 and HD7698P antennas.

------------------------

And you like to do research , so Test the antennas that have been recommended and Test other antennas.

Real World Tests at your location.
Old 15-Mar-2014, 12:48 AM   #26
brg88tx

don't want a big "traditional" looking antenna on my roof. I've decided I need to mount it on my roof, but it has to be a flat type antenna. I have a chimney that I can mount in on. the south side of my chimney faces away from our road so that will be the place. the chimney is 38" wide. if I decide to go with the 4228hd (41" wide) it will just stick out 1.5" on each side. I'm concerned though because I ran across another forum where a guy from willis,tx (10-15 miles ne of me) and he could not get the high vhf channels (8,11,13) very well. he had the 4228hd mounted on his roof.

Last edited by brg88tx; 15-Mar-2014 at 1:23 AM.
Old 15-Mar-2014, 5:09 AM   #27
GroundUrMast

It sounds like you've made up your mind. Hopefully your self imposed limitation won't leave you dissatisfied with the end result.

Hoping for success...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2014, 3:30 AM   #28
brg88tx

when the 4228hd first came out around 5 years ago some reported it had some sort of design flaw....does anyone know if it's been corrected? still planning my setup in my mind.
Old 19-Mar-2014, 8:02 AM   #29
StephanieS

I'm with GUM on this one.

The CM4228HD is the wrong antenna for this situation and I hope for the best.

A very likely reason for the gentleman in Willis having reception issues was due to the CM4228 not being an ideal high-VHF antenna. His results spoke what we are telling you here.

If you are dissatisfied with your final results, please don't attack the antenna. This is a case of you are trying to put your right shoe on your left foot. Good antenna system building includes a survey of the TV broadcast bands in you reception area and buying an antenna that supports the bands you'll need (low-vhf, high-vhf, uhf). Going with a single band antenna (UHF) for example is only advised in UHF only markets, which you aren't in.

Chances of unreliable reception are higher than of reliable reception in regards to these signals simply due to you are choosing asthetics over proper antenna system selection.

A roof mounted C2V orientated to magnetic 169 ought to rock and roll.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by StephanieS; 19-Mar-2014 at 8:06 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2014, 4:16 PM   #30
brg88tx

Last edited by brg88tx; 22-May-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 22-May-2014, 10:26 PM   #31
brg88tx

still researching. leaning towards ant751r now, but have a question about my setup and how it might affect signal strength. thinking of using a homeworx hw-150pvr to use as a dvr. one of the features it has is a "loop through" where the coax will go into the unit then back out to my tv and will use my TV's tuner so I can watch tv and record something at the same time. my question is will this loop through degrade my signal about 3.5db like a 2 way splitter would?
Old 22-May-2014, 11:45 PM   #32
GroundUrMast

The ANT-751R would do well... Your reception conditions are excellent. If your conditions were challenging in some way I could understand the hesitation, but you've got it so easy... I think it's time to hang some metal in the air.

I've got an HW-150PVR here... I'll have to set it up with a SiliconDust HDHR on the output to see if there's some loop through loss. I suspect that's going to be the case, but even so, your situation does not look like 3 or 4 dB of insertion loss will be worth worrying about. I'll let you know what my test shows...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2014, 12:41 AM   #33
teleview

+=>

If a Small antenna like , "The ANT-751R antenna would do well... and etc."

The CM4228HD will work even better.

-----------

Here are some more Tuner /Recorders.

www.epvision.com

Last edited by teleview; 28-May-2014 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 2-Jun-2014, 8:14 PM   #34
brg88tx

I recently bought a rca ant751r. I first tried it in my tech shield roof deck enclosed attic, and it only picked up 10 channels. was sort of disappointed. still wanting to see exactly how much difference the foil roof decking made I tried it outside. I just placed it on a cardboard box 1 foot off the ground. it was ained in the direction of the towers but pointed directly into some bushes then thick woods to my south. to my surprise it picked up 42 channels. in my case, the foil roof decking made a HUGE difference.
Old 2-Jun-2014, 8:38 PM   #35
teleview

+=>

No surprise.

Metal Foil Covered Insulation does a Real Good Job of Disrupting Tv Reception.

Texas is a 'Hot Bed' for Metal Foil Covered Insulation In the Attic.

Is why I Strongly Recommended install a CM4228HD antenna Above the Peak of the Roof so that Reception is Not , Obstructed , Impeded , Blocked , by the Roof and Building.

Yes please do more Testing of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Jun-2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Jul-2014, 5:40 PM   #36
brg88tx

question.....in my setup I'm going to have to put the power supply for the preamp (rca tvpramp1r) in my hot texas attic. is this going to be ok, or do I need to figure a way to place it indoors? thanks
Old 29-Jul-2014, 6:21 PM   #37
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
question.....in my setup I'm going to have to put the power supply for the preamp (rca tvpramp1r) in my hot texas attic. is this going to be ok, or do I need to figure a way to place it indoors? thanks
I thought the power inserter for that unit was intended to be used indoors, and comes with a short coax pigtail to connect to your tv or other tuner. As long as the splitter(s) will pass DC, it should be fine when used as designed.

Just checked the online manual, and that is what it says, if I'm reading it right.

RCA TVPRAMP1R_OM manual link (click Support/Manuals tab)
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2014, 2:11 PM   #38
brg88tx

I finally set up my antenna

I finally set up my ant751r and rca preamp (tvpramp1r) this weekend. The antenna was mounted high up (25 ft) on my hardi plank chimney aimed at 169 degrees magnetic. I made a spreadsheet showing the reception percentages. Hopefully this data will help others in similar reception areas. I was picking up channel 3.1 and 3.2 from bryan/college station even though the antenna was facing nearly the opposite direction, towards sw Houston. Note the tv in my bedroom only displays in 25% increments. I am happy with the results and plan to cancel dishnetwork in about a month. I plan on buying another roku 3 and networking them both to a tablo dvr. Anyway, here are my results:

edit: virtual channel 2.1 is real channel 35, and 3.1 is real channel 50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (71.4 KB, 573 views)

Last edited by brg88tx; 4-Aug-2014 at 2:24 PM.