TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jun-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
hockeyrcks9901

Need an Antenna for Zip Code 32708

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe875b4ce0b3

(I put 20 feet as the height for the antenna as a conservative number)

I am on the third floor of an apartment with a balcony that faces due east. I am just looking for some help selecting an antenna for this area. I have no experience with antenna selection as I've had cable since I was a kid and just got rid of it last week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Adam C.
hockeyrcks9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jun-2010, 4:09 AM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Height of 10 feet per floor , about 30 feet. Any apartment buildings to the south east , magnetic compass reading 122 , and if so , how many floors. If you go out on the balcony at night , can you see the Tv transmission towers to the south east? Or is the view blocked by a building?

Last edited by teleview; 7-Jun-2010 at 6:10 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 7-Jun-2010, 5:53 AM   #3
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Well any way , if it's a clear shot or some what of a clear shot. I suggest the http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku= . The Winegard FreeVision FVHD30. . Your location is 17 miles from the television Transmitters, that is very close. . At 62 NM(dB) the signals are Hot , Hot , Hot . . A signal amplifier is not needed , an amplified antenna is not needed. As a matter of fact an amplified antenna Will over load and cause Bad Reception.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Jun-2010 at 5:56 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 7-Jun-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
hockeyrcks9901

I know I'm about 30-35 feet up but I was looking for a conservative estimate of signal strength. There are a few apartment buildings around, none higher than 3 stories that I know of with one that might be in the way, I haven't checked compass heading yet. I know where the towers are, I drive by them everyday for work, I just never knew what they were. I doubt I could see them from my apartment but I'll take a look later today. There might be a 4-5 story building in the way somewhere but I think it is off to the side aways.

I assume that most of the signals I'll receive should be strong enough for 2 tvs? We never use both tvs at the same time, one is an HDTV with a digital tuner and the other has just an analog tuner so I'll need to pick up a converter(any recommendations?). And the cable runs are about 10-15 feet from balcony to either tv.

I've been looking around and would you mind explaining the differences between the Freevision you recommended and the HD-1080? The 1080 seems to be a better antenna and cheaper but I am very new to this so I certainly could be wrong.

Sorry for any typos, I posted this from my phone.

Thanks again,
-Adam C.

Last edited by hockeyrcks9901; 7-Jun-2010 at 1:12 PM.
Old 8-Jun-2010, 1:37 AM   #5
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Well Ok the HD 1080 is very good. Get the HD1080. Tv reception is the best when it is LOS Line Of Sight. And can also work with some obstructions.
Old 16-Jun-2010, 8:50 AM   #6
hockeyrcks9901

Well, I went with the freevision for the aesthetics as I don't want to draw attention to the antenna in my apartments.

Everything is great except for two channels, 48 & 41.

It seems really strange that I can't receive either of these two. Is there anything to check other than the angle of the antenna?

On channel 48, I have a signal but it is not strong enough to display a picture. On channel 41, I do not have signal enough for the tv tuner to find it.

Right now I have a 100ft cable run that I'm going to shorten as soon as I can get the tools and hopefully that will help with channel 48 but what else could I do to improve the situation?
Old 16-Jun-2010, 5:32 PM   #7
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Read this and understand and take action that Yes You Can. . http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . . You say you have a balcony. To help you with reception , I need to know that you are understanding the information I am giving you.

Last edited by teleview; 16-Jun-2010 at 5:35 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 16-Jun-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
hockeyrcks9901

I know that I am allowed to install an antenna per FCC regulations. I just chose to use this one.