TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 3-May-2011, 4:56 AM   #1
navagator

Antennas Direct V21 vs Winegard HD8200U

Just curious, has anyone had any experience with the Antennas Direct V21?

It claims to have a 12.9db gain, which is slightly higher than the Winegard HD8200U, however it's much smaller.

Is there any chance the V21 could perform comprably to the HD8200U???

Thanks

Last edited by navagator; 3-May-2011 at 4:58 AM.
navagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2011, 3:26 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Is there any chance the V21 could perform comprably to the HD8200U???
No. The numbers for the V21 are overdue for correction. It's on the "To Do" list.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2011, 5:44 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas

Some Tv antennas are rated by the average gain of all the channels the tv antenna will receive. This is a deception of the true rating of the antenna. Some tv antennas are rated by the channel that has the highest gain of one Tv channel. This is a deception of the true rating of the Tv antenna. Some Tv antennas are rated by the gain of each of the channels the Tv antenna will receive. And this each channel rating will be the closest to the truth about the actual gain of a Tv antenna.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-May-2011, 5:33 AM   #4
navagator

Thanks for the info.

I was somewhat skepticle of the V21's gain do to it's size but I thought I would ask.

While doing a little research I came across a vintage antenna that's really interesting, the Finco 400-A. It's really a unique antenna, it appears to be fairly large in size. I don't know what the gain is on the Finco but it would be interesting to know.

Photo of the Finco 400-A
navagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Dave Loudin

Folks at digitalhome.ca have analyzed this antenna, and someone has actually built their own version. Within the OTA TV forum, check out the antenna research and development sub-forum.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Jim5506

My dad and my grandmother next door each had one of these colinear arrays on a 40 ft mast mounted to the peak of their roof.

From what I remember it was a great antenna.

We lived in Carlsbad, New Mexico and our regular NBC station (Ch. 8) tower was 88 miles north of us but we were able to pull in a sharp and clear signal while the station was on the air (they shut down after the Tonight Show back in those days and came back on with the Today Show the next morning).

Having a rotator I was also able to get stations out of the Midland Odessa (Ch 7 and 9) area at any time but they were nearly always pretty snowy - at 150 miles away.

NOW THAT IS A 150 MILE ANTENNA - not one of these over-amplified Chinese POS's you see in the margin.

It was occasionally able to get channel 28 out of Lubbock on UHF channel 28 at 175 miles.

Sadly as the guy wires aged that antenna suffered several falls and finally was damaged beyond repair.

I'd love to have one, I have the copies of the Finco patent maybe someday I'll take the time.

Last edited by Jim5506; 1-Aug-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Jim5506 is offline   Reply With Quote