TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jul-2012, 1:19 AM   #1
sjuanie

No clue need help

I have been reading some of these threads and have no idea how to choose the right antenna nor would I know what do do once I get one. I'm just trying to cut my cable out and was wondering which is the best antenna and what setup some of you are using. I have 1 Roku and WII, would be looking to get as close to a cable setup as possible. Here is a link to my location info?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99004f4b5de7f5

Thanks for your time,
Steve
sjuanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2012, 3:03 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I would install a Winegard HD7696P pointed at about 285° (compass). This would focus on reception of the major networks broadcast from the towers south of Sacramento.

There is a transmitter to the NNE on real channel 3 which is receivable. That would require a second antenna such as an Antennacraft CS600 pointed at about 0° (compass).

These antennas can be combined into a single coax to feed one or more TVs.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2012, 4:49 AM   #3
sjuanie

I still have an old Dish network setup, the dish is still up. I currently have U-verse hooked, would I be using these existing cables to run to my TV's. Are these antennas difficult to install/mount. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Steve
Old 8-Jul-2012, 5:34 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The cable used in satellite and cable TV installations can be reused once it has been disconnected from those services.

Some TV antenna installations are very easy. A beginner do-it-yourself project. Others can require expert DIYer skill and tools.

A roof top installation calls for an understanding of what may be harmful to the roof and the person working on it. The slip/fall hazard is a risk you would need to be able to assess and take appropriate steps to mitigate. If power lines are present, you need to know that you can identify them, avoid them and plan the installation so that if the antenna or mast fell, there would be no chance of contact with power. We can help you choose the antenna and related hardware, then talk you though the install. If you want to try this your self, feel free to give us the details... ask all the questions, none are dumb, unless you don't ask . You can post photos if you like.

The tools and supplies are commonly available to the DIYer. But if you decide you only want to select and purchase the hardware, then we'll be happy to help with that.

If you're inclined to hire the work, companies specializing in 'structured wiring', 'home theater installation' and independent 'satellite system installation' would be worth inquiring of.

Ultimately, you're a far better judge of your skills than we are.

Old 8-Jul-2012, 6:15 AM   #5
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

This recommendation is based on the tvfool Current Plus Pending Applications Included for Digital Tv stations and channels.

Install a Winegard HD7000R antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at about 315 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas, http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

With the HD7000R antenna aimed at about 315 degree magnetic compass the English language Tv stations/channels in the Green and Yellow reception zones of the tvfool radar plot report will be received.

With the HD7000R aimed at 315 degree , some Religion and Spanish and other language channels may not be received.

If you will like to receive more religion and other language channels , will require more then one antenna and coax cables.

Last edited by Electron; 8-Jul-2012 at 6:45 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2012, 6:27 AM   #6
Electron

The HD7000R will be installed above the roof.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by Electron; 8-Jul-2012 at 6:46 AM.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 6:41 AM   #7
Electron

My recommendation is to start with the HD7000R antenna system install , it is simple.

And more can be added later.

Yes the coax wiring that is in place now can be used.

For splitters I recommend , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , also available at http://www.solidsignal.com.

For one Tv connected use no splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a HFS-3D , 4 way splitter.

Are you discontinuing and disconnecting U-Verse and sattelite service Completely??

Last edited by Electron; 8-Jul-2012 at 6:47 AM.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 7:16 PM   #8
sjuanie

Electron..........Yes, discontinuing completely. The Dish network is already disconnected, they left the dish up there, I didnt bother removing it just in case I went back. U-Verse is current, but as soon as I get this gear I will cancel. My goal is to get a cheap phone service if any, cost effective internet service, though I will be looking for quality here. I dont care about the other languages and religious stations, though I do care about religion . Thank you for the itemized list and links, you are too kind, same goes for GroundUrMast. I will do the install myself as I am into saving money. I have 2 TV's, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Quick question, I have solar panels installed, will that interfere with reception in any way?
Old 8-Jul-2012, 7:25 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

You can reuse the mounting (J-pole) that the dish is on... IF the OTA antenna will not touch the roof or other parts of the building - and - the antenna will not be aimed into the roof. Most satellite mounts are not on the north side of the building because they need a view of the southern sky. Satellite matrix switches and diplexers (which may look like OTA/CATV splitters) need to be removed so that OTA signal can pass.

Solar panels will pose a problem if they are in or close to the path from the antenna to the transmitter towers.

Old 8-Jul-2012, 8:00 PM   #10
sjuanie

Here are some Pics of where my cable is coming from. Would this be a good spot or higher up on the eave?
Attached Images
File Type: gif house1.gif (266.8 KB, 698 views)
File Type: gif house2.gif (244.0 KB, 658 views)
File Type: gif house3.gif (204.9 KB, 689 views)
File Type: gif house4.gif (225.1 KB, 668 views)
Old 8-Jul-2012, 8:36 PM   #11
Electron

If any type or kind of u-verse service is on a coax cable then that coax can not be used for the Tv antenna coax.
The Tv antenna system coaxes and any active u-verse coaxes must be separate systems.
If there is no type or kind of u-verse service at all then all of coaxes can be used for Tv antenna system.

Tv antennas like elbow room.
Tv antennas like the least amount to no obstructions.
Tv antennas like to be free and clear to receive Tv transmissions.

Mount the Tv antenna so that the Tv antenna clears the high point of the house roof and clears the solar panels.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 9:18 PM   #12
sjuanie

Gotcha, so I will just cancel all u-verse, they really arent that good and there pricing doesnt match the quality anyway. Then I will use the eave mount at the highest point of my roof which would clear everything. Is this mount pretty sturdy? What do you recommend? I do have a chimney but it is clear across the other side of my house.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 9:29 PM   #13
Electron

The http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html.
Eave mount is Strong and Sturdy.
Old 9-Jul-2012, 3:21 AM   #14
sjuanie

Ok, I'm gonna work on getting the parts needed. I want to thank you both for your help, I will update when I get the ball rolling.

Steve
Old 13-Aug-2012, 5:17 PM   #15
sjuanie

Bent antenna

I'm not sure if I should continue where I left off. I ordered the winegard HD7000R antenna as recommended, I finally got around to opening the box after 3 weeks, was ready to install it. Unfortunately, the rods on the antenna were bent into a perfect curve, almost looked like it was made that way. Here is my problem, they are out of stock and don't know when they will be getting them in. I ordered this with the Sonora HFS-3D DBS satellite diode steered 3-way splitter and the Ronard 3442 Eave mount, all from Solid Signal. Should I get my refund and find the same antenna some place else or order a different antenna. Thanks for your time,

Steve
Old 13-Aug-2012, 5:18 PM   #16
sjuanie

Or can I unbend them?
Old 13-Aug-2012, 7:58 PM   #17
teleview

Tv Reception.

Get the refund and order the antenna some place else.
Old 17-Aug-2012, 3:06 AM   #18
sjuanie

Thanks for the response, they ended up having a order come in so they are sending me a new one, thanks again.

Steve
Old 26-Aug-2012, 6:19 PM   #19
sjuanie

Ugh! I've had nothing but problems with this install. After receiving my replacement antenna, I open the Ronard 3442 eave mount and is there supposed to be a mast included in this? It shows it on the picture but doesnt say anywhere whats included in the box, so I have no idea. All I know is it didnt come with a mast, they are closed today so I thought if somebody knows the answer to this and solution.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 26-Aug-2012, 7:38 PM   #20
teleview

Tv Reception.

The eave mount does not come with a mast pipe.

Home Depot and etc. , usually have Tv antenna mast pipe.