TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jul-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
hamptonj

Newbie help- choosing indoor antenna for Olympics??

Hi all. I am brand new to OTA topics but have been reading a lot and learning a lot. My primary motivation is getting TV to watch the Olympics but I'll probably occasionally watch shows afterward. I live in Hampton and have some strong signals fairly close:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990021b83113eb

I rent a house so would like to place the antenna inside on my TV or nearby. It's an older tube TV so I will also be buying a digital converter. The TV is on an exterior wall on the SW side of the house but no windows are on this wall. The windows face SE.

I see tons of antennas advertised on Amazon ranging from slick flat ones (link) to funky larger ones (link). I have no idea what will actually work so am really looking for any advice. Same for the digital converter if anyone has a recommendation. I would like to spend <$100 if possible. Thanks for any help!

PS- Do I have to buy a digital converter??? I thought everything is broadcast in digital since the switch a couple years ago, but the TV signal results shows analog signals. I'm confused.
hamptonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2012, 1:16 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Consider the Terk HDTVi: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2828

A few low powered analog transmitters remain. These too will either switch to digital or leave the air by Sept. 1, 2015. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._United_States

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Jul-2012 at 3:46 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2012, 9:29 AM   #3
teleview

Tv Reception.

Install a Terk HDTVi non amplified indoor antenna aimed at about 225 degree magnetic compass.

Non amplified because the Tv transmissions are Very Strong at your location.

A amplifier will over load and be the cause of bad or no reception.

Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Old 25-Jul-2012, 9:42 AM   #4
teleview

Tv Reception.

The full power Tv transmitters changed to digital June of 2009.

The , low power , translator/repeater , stations are converting to digital and have until Sept. 1 , 2015 to convert or go off the air.

The Digital signals are what All of network programs are on is Digital.

If the Tv is analog , then Tv Will Not receive Digital and a converter box is required to change the Digital signal to analog for analog Tv.

Walmart has a simple RCA Digital converter box that tunes the digital channels and connects to a analog Tv.
Old 28-Jul-2012, 8:49 PM   #5
hamptonj

Sounds like the Terk is the way to go. I just ordered it and will attempt to aim it once it arrives. I won't try to receive analog signals since they are disappearing soon anyway.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 28-Jul-2012, 9:59 PM   #6
teleview

Tv Reception.

If the attic is wood frame with flat composition shingles , no metal backed insulation , no metal roof , no solar panels.
ANT751 antenna can be installed in the attic aimed at about 225 degree magnetic compass for improved reception.
Old 3-Aug-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
hamptonj

Antenna and converter are received. I am seeing signals on the TV! I aimed the antenna at about 215 degrees magnetic and coverage is pretty good. The station I'm most concerned with is 10-1, NBC. Much of the time coverage is great but every minute or two there is lag in the audio and the video will get blocky. Sometimes this will continue for 30 seconds or so. It's pretty annoying when trying to watch a show. Does this sound like a reception issue or something with the converter? I currently have the antenna mounted on top of the TV with the antenna in the flat horizontal position. Vertical doesn't seem to help. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old 3-Aug-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
teleview

Tv Reception.

Get a long coax and coax coupler to connect the long coax to the antenna coax and put the TERK HDTVi in , west , south west , south , window.

As always tv antennas receive the best when nothing is reducing or blocking reception.

Trees and tree leaves reduce or block reception.

Walls reduce or block reception.

Buildings reduce or block reception.

Innstall the antenna at a location where there is the least amount of objects in the way of reception.