TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Sep-2012, 4:20 PM   #1
Redline

Question Need help getting 2Edge channels

Here is my TV Fool report link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e77953f4f76863

I currently have an Eagle Aspen Dtv2Buhf Directv 2-Bay Uhf Antenna. This gets me the LOS channels at 43 degrees just fine but I don't care about those. I want the 2Edge major network channels (NBC/CBS/FOX) at 205 degrees which I can't pick up with this antenna. I have the antenna mounted on my roof approximately 20 feet above ground level. I have a single TV connected to it and have a run of about 80 feet of RG6 coax to get to it. The antenna is grounded.

Any recommendations as to a better setup that will allow me to get these channels will be greatly appreciated!
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2012, 4:33 PM   #2
teleview

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

The following is a Teleview - recommendation for digital broadcast Tv reception.

The signals are Very Weak , to see if signal strengths increase please make 2 more tvfool radar plot reports at 40 feet and 60 feet.
Old 4-Sep-2012, 4:38 PM   #3
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
The following is a Teleview - recommendation for digital broadcast Tv reception.

The signals are Very Weak , to see if signal strengths increase please make 2 more tvfool radar plot reports at 40 feet and 60 feet.
40 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e7792b7445c471

60 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e779f3246ae2de
Old 4-Sep-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
teleview

The following is a Teleview - digital broadcast Tv reception recommendation.

There is no advantage to going higher with a antenna.

As often happens with 2 edge path signals that are 'bent' crossing over hills and mountains the transmissions are scattered diffraction making the signal weak.

The 2 receivable Tv stations , KXLY VHF 13 , and , KSPS-TV 7 PBS , --> you are receiving now.

KXLY VHF channel 13 , Is the same as --> KXLY-TV Real UHF channel 42 ABC , MYTvNetwork and ME-TV.

And KSPS-TV VHF channel 7 PBS is the same as --> K49LX-D Real channel 49.

Last edited by teleview; 13-Sep-2012 at 7:23 AM.
Old 5-Sep-2012, 9:35 PM   #5
Redline

So there is no way to pick up those weak scattered signals?
Old 6-Sep-2012, 2:59 AM   #6
teleview

The following is a Teleview - recommendation for broadcast Tv reception.

Make tvfool radar report plots for antenna heights of , 100 , 200 , 300 , 400 , 500 , feet antenna heights and we will see if the weak Tv stations/channels improve in signal strength to make them receivable and how much money you will part with to get them.
Old 6-Sep-2012, 2:19 PM   #7
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
So there is no way to pick up those weak scattered signals?
Some 2Edges are worse than others. Take a look at this
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d16

You're in deep shadow, so things are not promising. If you have mountains on the other side, you could try to catch a reflection off those, but that's a longshot. (and will require more than a two bay)
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Redline

Well lets put it this way: Is there a single antenna (regardless of how many bays and whether or not it is amplified) that will allow me to get those signals from 20 feet up for under $100? If not then I won't waste my time pursuing it.
Old 7-Sep-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
teleview

The following is a Teleview - recommendation for broadcast Tv reception.

Using a outdoor Tv antenna.

For under 100 dollars it will not happen.

For under 200 dollars it will not happen.

For under 300 dollars it will not happen.

The price and antenna height will keep on climbing and at some point it will happen.

Most likely some of the Tv stations channels are available at the Tv stations web sites.

There are devices that connect a home computer or laptop computer or iPad to the Tv and display/watch the channel that way.

In the google search box type these words , connect computer to tv .

Here is one many web sites to find information , http://hookpctotv.com.

Last edited by teleview; 13-Sep-2012 at 7:18 AM.
Old 7-Sep-2012, 6:30 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Well lets put it this way: Is there a single antenna (regardless of how many bays and whether or not it is amplified) that will allow me to get those signals from 20 feet up for under $100? If not then I won't waste my time pursuing it.
An Antennacraft Y10713 or Winegard YA1713 should receive KXLY and maybe KSPS. The rest of the Spokane signals are blocked by Mt. Spokane.

If you had the budget to build a mountain top repeater/translator complex, you'd likely be the hero of all OTA reception fans in Priest River and the surrounding area.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2012, 2:18 PM   #11
thom

I realize you're being mostly facetious, but apart from the cost, that would still require FCC clearance as well as clearance from the individual broadcasters and networks, right?

(they weren't too happy with these guys)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401069,00.asp
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2012, 5:14 PM   #12
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
An Antennacraft Y10713 or Winegard YA1713 should receive KXLY and maybe KSPS. The rest of the Spokane signals are blocked by Mt. Spokane.

If you had the budget to build a mountain top repeater/translator complex, you'd likely be the hero of all OTA reception fans in Priest River and the surrounding area.
Well I wish I had such a budget but I don't, and I am only mildly interested in KXLY and even less so in KSPS so I will probably just stick with what I have and call it good at that. Thanks for the help all the same.