TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Mar-2012, 1:16 AM   #1
emets31

Need Antenna Advice for Kingston, NY Area

Hello, I am in the process of getting rid of cable, and I came across TVFool. I have been reading around for awhile, and I finally decided to make a post to get some help. Basically, my setup is like this - I live in a metro area, in a 2nd floor apartment. We are paying about $110 a month for cable tv, and not getting our money's worth. SO, my Wife and I have decided to get rid of it, and we have already taken some steps to do it. I will be running Boxee from my PC via a 20ft. HDMI cable, and I have a Roku 2 XS already installed. I also have a PS3 and Blu-ray Player connected, but I probably won't be streaming from them. I am still trying to find the best possible way to get shows like The Walking Dead, Adventure Time, Adult Swim, and a few other shows, as well as a bunch of childrens programs for my Kids, through Hulu+, Amazon, Netflix, and any other possible ways (If anyone has some ideas about that, I would apprciate your input). But I would still like to be able to watch some live TV via local channels (it doesn't necessarily have to be a live broadcast, I just mean during the regular broadcast time), like American Idol (for my Wife, not me ) on Fox, Mets games on SNY and other stuff like that on ABC, NBC, PBS, etc. That is where an antenna would come in, but I am having some difficulty in finding out exactly what I need. I don't have a ton of cash to spend, so I wanted to skip the trial and error in finding one as much as possible. So, I wanted to see if I could get any input here. Any help and/or info would be greatly appreciated. I have done Signal Analysis (results can be found here), but please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks in advance!
emets31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2012, 5:22 AM   #2
ghz24

Ouch wrgb 24

Your report is at 10 foot. re-post report at greater height (second story) or as high up as you can possibly get away with putting an antenna.
And hope it looks better.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2012, 5:56 AM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Most of the Current and Pending Applications Included Digital Tv Stations are very weak signal strength so big antenna is needed for reliable reception. Reverse engineering your location to a few houses in an area , Your location is a location where installing the antenna 10 to 25 feet high is the best. Installing the antenna above 25 feet up to 60 feet improves reception very little. So install a Winegard HD7084P antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp above the roof aimed at about 0 degrees magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by Electron; 9-Mar-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2012, 4:53 PM   #4
emets31

Ouch indeed

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it.

I redid the analysis, and the height made a small difference. So, if I were to install the antenna at roughly 15-25ft. (not sure how high I can go and if I can even install on the buidling because it is brick and the roof slopes), I will have better luck? Also, are the Winegard HD7084P antenna and Winegard AP8700 preamp my only options, or are they the best options? The price tag wasn't too bad, but I am not sure I can install it on my roof.
Old 8-Mar-2012, 8:30 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emets31 View Post
But I would still like to be able to watch some live TV via local channels
Mets games on SNY and other stuff like that on ABC, NBC, PBS, etc.
The channel 24 LPTV station actually carries both WRGB and WCWN. WRGB is CBS but in SD, WCWN is CW in HD. There are a handful of Mets games on WCWN.

The HD7084P mentioned may work for WRGB on channel 6 or may not. It depends on local noise levels. That would get you NFL games in HD.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Electron

Install the HD7084P antenna Above The Roof. Here are above the roof mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com. Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com. Buy the ronard mounts by typing in the word - ronard - in the search box at solid signal or buy from ronard.

Last edited by Electron; 8-Mar-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 9-Mar-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Electron

The HD7084P and AP8700 are not the only options , They are the best options for your reception situation. You can if you like , go to the All Out Option , Install a Winegard HD8200U antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp. http://www.antennasdirect.com. The Digital Tv Channels VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 are negatively effected , more so then the other digital tv channels of , VHF high band 7 thru 13 and UHF 14 thru 51 , by natural electrical type earth noise and human made electronic and electric noise. The big antennas will collect and concentrate more of channel 6 so channel 6 can be received. You can if you like put the CPA-19 preamp in place of the AP8700 with the HD7084P antenna.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Mar-2012 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Deleting off-topic comment
Old 9-Mar-2012, 4:24 AM   #8
ghz24

Quote:
I will have better luck?
Yes outside is better and higher is almost always better.

Follow electrons advice , you'll not be sorry you got a higher gain/bigger antenna.

The amp may or may not help much depending on frequency in question, local conditions and actual signal level of channel 24.
Channel 6 is questionable none of us can say positively you can or can't get it or how dependable it may be.

Personally I'd test with and without the amp then you'll know for sure.
If the amp doesn't help post again here for a possible tweak.
(wouldn't want to confuse the issue with coax traps)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Mar-2012 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Deleting off-topic comment
Old 9-Mar-2012, 5:23 AM   #9
emets31

Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already confused

But seriously, thanks for the advice. I am going to try and get up on the roof and check things out tomorrow after work and see what I can find. If I am unable to attach an antenna to the building (going to contact the Super tomorrow, too), any other suggestions? I have been pointed to the DB2 and DB4 from AntennaDirect, with the notion that a flat panel antenna can be attached inside the apartment. Any input on that idea?

Also, aiming the compass at 0 degrees North, will that give me an accurate true north direction?
Old 9-Mar-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Electron

You can not put a big antenna on the roof. Then the next best ting to do is , Do you have a balcony that you can go out and stand on and look to the north?? If so , put a Antennas Direct DB2e or DB4e out on the balcony aimed north.
Old 9-Mar-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
ghz24

I think towerguy was just trying to tell you that channel 6 programing is available on other (higher) frequency, and the jest of it is- what the VHF low channel 6 gets you is the high definition CBS feed.(SD is available on 24, - 2.7 miles from you If I understood his post.
I don't think anyone here wants to or is trying to confuse you.
Some helpers here give prescriptions others try to involve the the OP more in the decision process. By informing them of options and alternatives and the costs/benefits of those trade offs and point out difficulties you may encounter.

So keeping with the philosophical school I follow this site will show you what sub-feeds are available from the stations in your market.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=70
Most stations broadcast 2-3 or even more sub-channels if you can receive WMHT (PBS) you will get three channels world, thinkbright and the normal PBS feed that cable offers.

Quote:
Also, aiming the compass at 0 degrees North, will that give me an accurate true north direction?
No if you use a compass to find directions use the last column under Magn.

Where you are the difference between direction to the magnetic north pole and the direction to the real (true) north pole is ~+13 degrees
Instead of 0 deg. go for ~12
Old 9-Mar-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Electron

At http://www.solidsignal.com , in the solidsignal search box type in , fc300lx , it is a flat coax that can be installed past door or window. A tripod mount such as a , http://www.ronard.com/900911.html , http://www.ronard.com. Type in the word ronard in the solid signal search box or buy from ronard. The tripod mount is used as a stand for the tv antenna it is not bolted to the balcony floor.
Old 9-Mar-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
Electron

If you can not put a antenna outside on a balcony or on a outside wall and the antenna will be on the inside , then depending on the size of a window that is to the north , install a , DB2e , DB4e or a Winegard FVHD30.
Old 10-Mar-2012, 3:37 AM   #14
emets31

First, I would like to make it clear that I wasn't saying anyone in particular confused me. My confusion stems from not having worked with an antenna situation before, so if I offended anyone, I apologize. Everyone has been more than helpful, and I appreciate the time and effort that goes into every reply

I will try to answer each reply in order.

No, I do not have a balcony. But, I am pretty sure I have windows facing north.

Thanks for the clarification, ghz24, as well as the link. I will do a bit more research on there.

Thanks for that flat coax cable, I was wondering if I would have to drill to get the cable out.

So at this point, I am leaning towards a Winegard HD7084P or DB4, with a stronger possibility being the DB4 because of the roof situation. I was also wondering about the DB8. Would that be a better option than the DB4? Also, if I were to go with one of the DBs installed somewhere outside my window, would I still use a preamp, and if so, can that go inside or out?
Old 13-Mar-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
emets31

Just for a quick update, I ordered a DB4e and I am awaiting arrival. In the mean time, any recommendations on a preamp?
Old 20-Mar-2012, 2:52 PM   #16
emets31

Sorry for the long hiatus. I received the DB4e and connected it to my TV. I was able to pick up 3 channels from a position in a window facing roughly 12 degrees North.

So, I contacted the Maintenance Man from my apts. and he said unfortunately, I cannot install anything on the roof

So, my question is this - should I bother trying a preamp, or just give up at this point?

I was doing some research, and I found the Winegard AP-8275 has a 29 dB VHF, 28 dB UHF gain, which looks like about the highest I can achieve with a preamp. Would it be worth to invest in one of these, or will I be wasting money? Also, are there any other suggestions for a better/more powerful preamp?
Old 26-Mar-2012, 2:13 AM   #17
emets31

I purchased a Winegard AP-8275 and connected it to my DB4e and re-did the scan. Without the 8275, I was able to pick up 3 channels. So, I was eager to get everything connected and highly anticipating the scan. So, I ran it, and picked up...3 channels. Could the unit be faulty, or could something be connected improperly? I checked the connections, and they're all where they are supposed to be, but I only picked up the same 3 channels I had before.

Any suggestions?
Old 26-Mar-2012, 4:39 PM   #18
Electron

As we have informed many others here at tvfool , (and no one tells any one else) a amplifier can not amplify a signal that is not there. And also a high gain amplifier 28/29 dB , can over load in the presence of strong tv transmissions and be the cause of bad or no reception. (no one tells any one else this either). The Tv antenna is what receives the signal not the amplifier. If the antenna receives no signal then a amplifier will amplify nothing. The tv transmissions are very weak in the red reception zone of the tv fool report. The antenna Must go up high to receive the very weak tv transmissions. The less obstructions there are the better the antenna will receive. Also can try this , if there is a big building to the , south , south west , south east , of your location you can try aiming the antenna at the big building to get a reflection of the tv transmissions that originate from the north of your location. . If you decide to move , consult tvfool to find a location that has a good view of the tv transmitters for easy reception.