TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Jul-2015, 1:21 AM   #1
bob.gibson@att.net

Help with antenna selection and possible options in San Diego

I purchased an indoor amplified Winegard flatwave antenna from Costco to merely see how many digital channels I could get from various locations in my attic. My second story attic is approximately 35’ high and I am on the upward slope of a hill which helps. There are two directional locations that I tried to check – one for San Diego channels and the other for Los Angeles channels. Surprisingly, I was able to pull in 33 from S.D. and over 40 for L.A. just with the flatwave. The fact is that I would be happy to simply get CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS which are easily accomplished with this test.

Hopefully, I would like to position an antenna in my attic and feed a coax line down to a Tablo or Simple TV dvr located in my office. If I can feed a coax through the wall, I can then connect it to a dvr, which will enable me to transmit a wifi signal to my Roku and watch recorded digital antenna programming.

I’ve talked to a few “experts” in the area, but one of them recommended installing two antenna’s in the attic – specifically two yagi antennas. One of the antennas would face north to L.A. and the other, some distance away, would face west for S.D. stations. He felt that no amplifier was necessary and that I could couple the two coax lines from the antennas into a splitter and send it down one line and into my office. I asked about omni-directional types but he didn’t feel as though it would be strong enough to pick up enough stations. I should add that he did first check tvfool for my location and signal strength and mentioned that the antenna would only need a range of 30 miles.

I have spent some considerable time researching various antenna options and have found some posts on a variety of internet sites that suggest not coupling two antennas into one coax. I would appreciate any advice, including whether what I was told has enough merit for me to proceed. It appears that, either way, I will be doing the grunt work as I could not get any electrician or handyman in my area willing to feed a coax down a two story house.

Location linked below-

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03afb14308f1

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
bob.gibson@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2015, 3:43 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome to the forum, Bob:
Quote:
one of them recommended installing two antenna’s in the attic – specifically two yagi antennas.
I agree.
Quote:
I could couple the two coax lines from the antennas into a splitter
A splitter can be used in reverse as a combiner, but it doesn't always work because when the same signals arrive at the combiner they will interfere with each other if they are not in phase. In your case you should combine two antennas, one for VHF and one for UHF with a UVSJ, which is a low loss device that combines the two bands without interference.

The signal loss in an attic is difficult to predict because of differences in construction. A metal roof, aluminum thermal barrier, aluminum siding, and stucco will block signals, as will trees and other buildings.

For KFMB CBS on real channel 8 and KGTV ABC on real channel 10 install a Winegard HD7694P aimed at 230 degrees magnetic. The 7694 is a VHF/UHF combo antenna because VHF-High only antennas are now in short supply.

For KSWB, down thru KNSD, install an Antennas Direct DB4E aimed at 144 degrees magnetic.

I have selected antennas that will give a little extra gain because your 2Edge signals might have a hard time making it over the terrain obstructions. You can see the terrain profiles if you click on callsigns in your TVFOOL report.

You probably will not need a preamp, but if you run out of signal after splitting, you can replace the splitter with a distribution amp like the Channel Master 3412 or 3414.

If that doesn't work, you can move the distribution amp to the attic and remotely power it through the coax or install a preamp.

Last edited by rabbit73; 3-Oct-2015 at 2:41 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2015, 6:31 PM   #3
bob.gibson@att.net

Thanks Rabbit73. I appreciate the advice! I also have the option instead to mount one antenna higher up above the roof which, of course, would probably give me the best reception. If I choose this option could one antenna possibly work for both directions indicated in my original post? If so, what type of antenna for that?
Old 1-Aug-2015, 8:44 PM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The two antenna system that I suggested gives you the best chance for your "must have" channels. A single antenna system would be a compromise that might not be as reliable, but you are certainly welcome to experiment if you so desire.

The Antennas Direct C2V with a Channel Master 7778 preamp might work. The C2V UHF double loop should be aimed at 144 degrees magnetic, and the "V" dipole should be aimed broadside (perpendicular) at 230 degrees magnetic for CBS and ABC on 8 and 10.
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...-Complete.html
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas...&skuId=6847298

The coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Attached Images
File Type: gif NEC Grounding.gif (16.5 KB, 902 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 2-Aug-2015 at 12:20 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
bob.gibson@att.net

Wow, excellent! Thank you so much!