TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Jul-2012, 8:28 AM   #1
wwfjdraw

Condo Solution

This might be a bit lazy of me. But I'm overwelmed by everything there is to learn just to get a simple answer to my question. I live at 215 100th st sw Everett WA 98204. This is a question from me to anyone that will listen. I represent a home owners association and as part of the investments we have decided to make for our owners for the condominiums we represent is using the funds to buy wholesale whatever the best antenna is for all of us that is the cheapest that requires no other installation other then that of screwing it to the outside of the siding on our balconys or patios and is simply plug in like an indoor antenna that can also get us the most if not all the channels possible. Please can someone make a link of where and what to buy that is based on the forums years and knowledge of experience. Thank you for helping.
wwfjdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jul-2012, 4:42 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The aerial view of the address suggests this is a group of several buildings, facing various directions.

A one size fits all solution will work well for some who are able to locate the antenna with a clear view to the south. But for those who can't do so, results will be disappointing.

Having offed that caveat, an antenna that tends to fit your request is the RCA ANT-751.

I realize the following tends to contradict your stated request. If I were building new at this location, I would install a roof mounted combination on each building consisting of an Antennas Direct DB4e, Antennacraft Y5713 and a Distribution amplifier (the make and model TBD based on the number of units / TVs to be fed). This would put a single antenna mast on each building, offering consistent results to each viewer.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 18-Jul-2012 at 8:32 PM. Reason: grammar, clarification
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2012, 5:10 AM   #3
wwfjdraw

Well the HOA voted. And they are not willing to spend the money for each individual condo to have an antenna or for it to be something that could be shared because so many already have cable. WELL I do want one for my own condo. So your saying that. This one

is the best to get everything there is to get with paying as little as possible? The only windows I have face west.

But someone private messaged. And told me that the one on their site that they sell is the best, are they correct is theres better?

They said theres is http://www.tripleplayantenna.com/
Old 19-Jul-2012, 7:12 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Anyone selling you something, 'has a dog in the fight'. You know better than I how to root for your 'dog'. FWIW, I'm an unpaid volunteer here. I don't get paid in any way if you follow my advise or not. (Wait, I own some mutual funds, so maybe I own some shares of the companies that make antennas... I've never read the prospectus thoroughly enough to know though).

Regardless of which antenna you select, it will need to be able to aim toward the south. Significant obstructions such as nearby buildings, trees and such will limit the ability of the antenna to 'see' enough signal.

If you are limited to installing on a wall or railing, the RCA ANT-751 is a compact antenna suited to this limitation. Paired with a 'J-pole' this fits well with your original request for ease of installation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-DS-20.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

As I mentioned previously, a roof mounted antenna system would be preferred. It would have a less obstructed view, delivering a higher quality signal and likely more total channels to the TV(s).

If I lived in this condominium, I'd ask for approval to mount an eave bracket and mast at the roof peak on one end or the other of the building. This would not put a hole in the roof. On that mast, I would mount an Antennas Direct DB4e and Antennacraft Y5713. I would offer to share the signal with any neighbor willing to provide their own cable and related hardware. That would mean that I would also be willing to install, operate (provide power to) and maintain a Channel Master distribution amplifier with ports for neighbors to connect to. By my way of thinking, a few months of cable bills would cost this much, after which I would be ahead even if I donated the antenna system to the condo HOA and paid a few cents a month to power the amplifier (which uses less electricity than a twisty type CFL bulb).

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-SW-00...rds=eave+mount
http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna..._1810_s/87.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...&keywords=db4e
http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasVHF.html
http://www.amazon.com/PCT-Internatio...eywords=CM3418

With an unobstructed view, the ANT-751 can be expected to receive most of the green and yellow highlighted signals listed in this report, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99006b17f77a2c as well as some of those highlighted in red.

The roof mounted system would offer greater reliability due to the clear view and higher performance of the specified antennas.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Jul-2012 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Cost of cable every month vs. one time cost for OTA
Old 19-Jul-2012, 5:18 PM   #5
wwfjdraw

Exclamation

Which really is why I had to ask you. Your opinion is more important than any salesman even if their product does work. I'll get the rca one. I just want one now that I can put on my balcony with easy installation. I don't have a big balcony either but I think this will work.
Old 20-Jul-2012, 4:35 AM   #6
wwfjdraw

Question

You say the best is the rca then thats the one I'll get for the balcony. Maybe after they see the channels come in on my tv the others will be convinced in wide investing. Thank you. But just to make sure the rca is the best for individual installs?
Old 20-Jul-2012, 6:10 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Given the limited space you have to work with, the RCA ANT-751 is the best option I can recommend.

It's a compromise between manageable size and cost, vs. performance vs. ease of installation.

If all that mattered was performance... I could recommend some very spendy stuff. But, I'm not Bill Gates and I suspect you aren't either.

Anybody else care to weigh in on this???
Old 20-Jul-2012, 6:46 AM   #8
wwfjdraw

If the rca lets say got less than 30 channels And I could get another antenna that would give 50 channels or more I would pay 5 times maybe for the better one. I don't have much room and hate to pay more when I could pay less and get the same channels. And I dont like the idea of spending more than 100. But if it garrentees more channels.
Old 20-Jul-2012, 6:48 AM   #9
wwfjdraw

but also installation I want to be as easy as indoor. Just plug in and your done. I can duct tape it to the railing for installation.
Old 20-Jul-2012, 6:49 AM   #10
wwfjdraw

Installation will be the red green way.
Old 20-Jul-2012, 7:22 AM   #11
teleview

Tv Reception.

I am in favor of the ANT751 on the balcony or patio that is in the direction of west south aimed at about 179 degree magnetic compass will receive many Tv stations/channels.

Here is how to aim antennas . http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Endless information debates do not produce any real and actual Tv watching.

Here is a antenna mount that works well on patios and balconies , makes a great STAND no requirement to bolt it to the floor.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.

The best way to get the coax from the antenna to the Tv is a hole through the wall.

Here is an other way , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , Flat coax # 144823.

Also , J mounts , work well to mount on the railing.

Type the word or words , J mount , J mounts , antenna J mount , antenna J mounts and etc. in the solidsignal search box .

http://www.solidsignal.com
Old 21-Jul-2012, 3:28 AM   #12
wwfjdraw

Question

Last questions.

which is better the rca or this
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...&keywords=db4e

And is there antenna that is as easy to install but would make a big difference in channels if say I spent under 150 or close?

Sorry for all questions. This last ones though.
Old 21-Jul-2012, 5:29 AM   #13
teleview

Tv Reception.

I recommend the ANT751 antenna , a 100% Honest antenna.
The issue is the size of the antenna verses the size of the space to install a antenna at apartments.

Your location has receivable VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 and UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

The ANT751 is designed to receive Tv channels 7 thru 51 the best.

The DB4e is designed to receive the UHF band channels 14 thru 51 the best.

Money will not buy ones way into Tv reception. Be it 100% Honest information or straight out Lies.

There are many people selling scam Tv antennas now days , they say that this amount of money or that amount of money will get you 150 mile Tv reception with the 'Magic' Tv antenna , it is straight out Lies.

If you will like to use a 100% Honest antenna for your location , it has more receiving elements , and as such will receive better and is designed to receive channels 7 thru 51 , then use a Winegard HD7694P antenna.

http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Jul-2012 at 6:04 AM.
Old 21-Jul-2012, 5:39 AM   #14
GroundUrMast

You're not asking too many questions.

The Antennas Direct DB4e is an excellent antenna. The DB4e is one part of the 'premium' antenna system I described earlier. However it's intentionally designed to receive real channels 14 through 51. If you install only the DB4e, you'll not have much chance of receiving:
Real CH-9, KCTS (which carries PBS in HD, V-Me in SD and Create in SD)
Real CH-11, KSTW (CW in HD)
Real CH-13, KCPQ (Fox in HD)

If you have room to install both the DB4e and Antennacraft Y5713 as described earlier, you'll have a higher performance antenna system.

The ANT-751 is a compromise that is driven largely by the assumption of limited space and budget.

Old 21-Jul-2012, 8:36 AM   #15
wwfjdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post

Your location has receivable VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 and UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

The ANT751 is designed to receive Tv channels 7 thru 51 the best.

The DB4e is designed to receive the UHF band channels 14 thru 51 the best.

If you will like to use a 100% Honest antenna for your location , it has more receiving elements , and as such will receive better and is designed to receive channels 7 thru 51 , then use a Winegard HD7694P antenna.
OK so I get what your saying. My goal is channels 7-13 on one frequency and 14-51 on another.

And your saying that the DB4E only receives UHF which limits me to channels 14-51 so the DB4E is not in consideration anymore.

But the RCA one gets both 7-13 and 14-51 because you said that it gets 7-51.

But your also saying that the WineGard gets everything the RCA does but has better elements so the WineGard is the better one. And the WineGard is the best.

Does the WineGard have to install any more difficultly? Or can I just ducttape this to the railing outside aswell?
Old 21-Jul-2012, 3:04 PM   #16
teleview

Tv Reception.

The DB4e and Y5713 combination of antennas have - more - receiving elements and as such will have more/better reception.

The HD7694P antenna has - more - receiving elements and as such will have more/better reception.

These antennas are bigger and as such require more space to install the antenna/s.

The ANT751 antenna less receiving elements and is smaller in size and as such will have less reception.

The television transmissions are Strong at your location and will be received by the ANT751.

In and on apartments and condos , it is a available space issue for antenna sizes.

It is a balance of available space and antenna size.

Information is provided here about how to install a antenna the correct way.

If duct tape is correct well then for you that is correct.

There are many antenna scammers out there waiting , that have Magic antennas to sell. I do not like the idea of you being their next sell.

I am doing my best to help you.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Jul-2012 at 7:22 PM.
Old 21-Jul-2012, 3:35 PM   #17
teleview

Tv Reception.

Many years ago I hung one of these antennas from the living room ceiling of a apartment I was renting.

A Channel Master CM3018.

The ceiling is available space.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Di..._p/cm-3018.htm.

The antenna is 9 feet long and 8 feet wide and 2 feet tall.

The antenna was my show piece and conversation starter and I had great reception.

It was my pride and joy , I loved that antenna hanging in the living room.

This is a true story.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Jul-2012 at 3:48 PM.
Old 21-Jul-2012, 5:33 PM   #18
GroundUrMast

Several antennas have been talked about so far. So here is a summary of the characteristics of each, trying to avoid overly technical terms.

The ANT-751 is designed to receive real channels 7 through 51. It's not a large antenna so it's fits in places a longer and or wider antenna can not. Because it's relatively small, it has less gain (signal gathering ability) and it's not very directional.

The HD7694P is designed to receive real channels 7 through 69. It's a mid to large size antenna so it's mounting location needs to allow for the length. Because it's relatively large, it has more gain (signal gathering ability) and it's rather directional making aiming a bit more critical compared to a smaller antenna.

The DB4e is designed to receive real channels 14 through 51. It's not a long antenna so it's fits in places a longer antenna can not. The relatively flat 'panel' shape is as wide as many other antennas, and taller. This antenna focuses on fewer channels so it has more gain (signal gathering ability) in the range it specializes in. It's not as directional as a long, wide, high-gain antenna.

The Y5713 is designed to receive real channels 7 through 13. It is moderate in length and width. Because it specializes in a narrow range of frequencies, it provides a medium amount of gain and directivity.

A J-pole was also mentioned. It is simply one of may accessories on the market, intended for mounting satellite dishes and small to mid sized over-the-air antennas. At it's base is a bracket that can be bolted to a wall, roof or other surface. The pole is then adjusted so that it's vertical, making a sutable point to clamp the antenna to.

Eave brackets, tripods, and various other devises are also available depending on the needs of a given installation.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Jul-2012 at 5:43 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 4:52 AM   #19
wwfjdraw

Question

I have decided to get the HD7694P one. It seems to be better than the rca one and not much bigger to be pain. I will probably just leave it on the ground of the balcony. And I am on the second floor so its the equivalent of someone from the bottom with it mounted up high. Wish me luck.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
wwfjdraw

ok bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

My second pick would have been the rca 751R.