TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Jul-2011, 8:08 PM   #1
Old Stuff

Help with new antenna

My old radio shack antenna has been hit too many times with limbs, and now only receives a few stations. I also have an old channel master rotor, and an internal amplifier, but everything is pretty old. Here is the link to my location:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e475496104e83

Would welcome suggestions for a new setup. Any info re installers in Manassas, VA area also welcome!
Old Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2011, 6:26 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

How many Tv's are/will be connected?? By 're installers' you mean that you will like some one else to do it??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Old Stuff

I have a Panansonic THC42FB attached, and sometimes attach an ATI TV Wonder USB tuner for recording to my laptop. You are correct that I am considering having someone else do the work. Until a few days ago, I was able to receive NBC (4.1-4.3), Fox (5.1), ABC (7.1-7.3), CBS (9.1-9.2), MyN (20.1), PBS (WETA 26.1-26.4, WHUT 32.1 and sometimes MPT 22.1-22.2 by moving antenna), Ind (WNVT 30-1-30.10), ION (66.1-66.3) and sometimes CW (50.1-50.3) by moving the antenna. Now I am getting only Fox, Ind WNVT and ION.
Old 31-Jul-2011, 1:43 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You will be able to see all the DC stations as well as most of the Baltimore stations if you invest in the right antenna system. If the Baltimore stations are NOT important to you, consider installing a Winegard HD-7694P mounted on your roof along with new RG-6u coax cable and a high-input preamp like a Winegard HDP-269. Aim the antenna at roughly 55 degrees by your compass, you you may want to re-purpose your old rotator to turn the antenna. If Baltimore is of interest to you, use a bigger antenna like a Winegard HD-7697P instead of the HD-7694P. He Baltimore stations lie in almost exactly the same plane as the DC stations do, and should come in without rotating the antenna if you choose to look for them. Good Luck!
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2011, 1:46 PM   #5
John Candle

I recommend a Winegard HD7694P antenna and a Winegard HDP269 preamp aimed at 57 degree magnetic compass. I do not recommend a rotor. Do not use the amplifier that you say is built in to the old rotor. I recommend replacing all the coax cable with new RG-6. I recommend replacing all coax couplers and splitters that are outside. WNVT-DT 30 is very strong and should be received through the back side of the antenna.

Last edited by John Candle; 31-Jul-2011 at 1:52 PM.
Old 31-Jul-2011, 2:00 PM   #6
John Candle

If you will like to receive the Tv stations to the north and a little north west then I recommend a Winegard HD7082P ALL channel antenna with the Winegard HDP269 preamp and a Channel Master CM 9521A remote control rotor. The Winegard HD7082P will receive All channels , VHF low 2 thru 6 , VHF high 7 thru 13 , UHF 14 thru 69. . Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 1-Aug-2011 at 6:13 AM.
Old 31-Jul-2011, 2:05 PM   #7
John Candle

If you will like to have a installer do it then here is how to find a installer. http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8 , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1327

Last edited by John Candle; 31-Jul-2011 at 2:09 PM.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 3:12 AM   #8
Old Stuff

Thanks to both Tigerbangs and John Candle for your replies. I am considering the Wineguard HD7697P, as well as the AntennaCraft HBU44 which appears very similar, but is a little more compact. Is there a reason to favor one over the other?

John, I don't understand your comment on WNVT-DT 30. What do you mean by connecting it through the back side?

On the rotor issue, I am looking at keeping the old rotor (no amp), but getting a new Channel Master CM 9537 control unit.

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 3:37 AM   #9
John Candle

Quote , WNVT-DT 30 is very strong and should be received through the back side of the antenna. End Quote. The signal is very strong and reception should take place with out having to rotate the antenna to the direction of the Tv station WNVT-DT 30. . . Now you say you are considering a HD7697P and not the HD7694P antenna.

Last edited by John Candle; 1-Aug-2011 at 6:20 AM.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 3:47 AM   #10
John Candle

The HD7694P antenna is 79.5 inches long , the HBU44 is 116 inches long. The HD7694P is a heavy duty , strongly built antenna with a built in/integrated matching transformer. The HBU44 is Not as heavy duty or strongly built and does not have a built in/integrated matching transformer.

Last edited by John Candle; 1-Aug-2011 at 3:54 AM.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 3:55 AM   #11
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

You'll find that the Winegard antennas usually have a bit better UHF reception than the comparable AntennaCraft antennas. If your primary concern is the DC stations, that won't matter much, but if you are going to try for the Baltimore stations, then I would suggest going a bit larger and getting the Winegard HD-7697P. If your antenna rotator motor is still functional, buying the CM9537 is probably not a bad idea, but will be of limited usefulness in getting the DC and Baltimore stations. You have no VHF low-band channels (real RF channels 2-6) of any significance in your area, so the suggestion of using a Winegard HD-7082P is probably not of much use to you.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 5:43 AM   #12
John Candle

The Winegard antennas are a Lot Better antennas then Antennacraft antennas no matter how it's diced up. The average gain of the HD7694P , VHF high is 8.95 , UHF is 10.57 . The average gain of the HD7697P , VHF high is 11.5 , UHF is 12.17 . The average gain of the HBU44 , VHF high 8.2 , UHF 8.2 . The Winegard antennas are a Lot Better then Antennacraft antennas no matter how it's diced up , Period. Size , Weight , length , width , strong build , gain , and Winegard has built in/integrated matching transformers.

Last edited by John Candle; 1-Aug-2011 at 5:46 AM.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 5:52 AM   #13
John Candle

Even the Antennacraft HBU55 can not compare to the Winegard antennas. The HBU55 is 145 inches long and the VHF high gain is 9.3 and the UHF gain is 9.0 . Even the smallest Wingard HD7694P out shines the Antennacraft HBU55.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 6:18 AM   #14
John Candle

Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t-695
Old 1-Aug-2011, 1:00 PM   #15
No static at all

Hi Old Stuff,

I've tried a few antennas in Manassas & the 7694 is a great choice for all the DC channels. You will likely need an amp like Tigerbangs suggested as channel 50's signal does not get out as well as TV FOOL predicts.

Unless Maryland Public Television is important to you, a rotator will likely not be necessary. As John Candle suggested, channel 30 is so close, it should come in well with the antenna pointed towards DC. I get 30 well here in Arlington through the back of the antenna.

If you want Baltimore as well, I suggest separate antennas like in my photo. (around $125.00) I personally haven't had much luck with Baltimore in Manassas, but have only experimented at locations near the fairgrounds.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2011, 2:30 PM   #16
Old Stuff

More on new antenna

Thanks to "No static at all" for your reply. Good to get input from someone with experience in this area. However, since I am actually about 7 miles south of Manassas and in a wooded area, I am a bit skeptical about the Winegard 7694, since the description at Solid Signal puts its UHF range limit at 25 miles. Most of the DC stations are around 25 miles and Channel 50/CW is 28 miles and has been problematic for me both in DTV and before with analog. I have no interest in Baltimore stations, but occasionally would like to get MPT/Channel 22 so will probably keep my rotor since it still works. But as you and John Candle note, I don't need to rotate for Channel 30 as it comes in fine with antenna pointed toward DC.

Thanks to John Candle for comparisons of Antennacraft and Winegard. I guess with these new inputs I am inclined towards the Winegard HD-7697P, but wonder if the Winegard HDP269 preamp would be needed or advisable with this higher gain antenna.
Old 1-Aug-2011, 2:45 PM   #17
No static at all

I have a 3 year old Winegard 7082 in excellent condition you can have if you would like. I took it down from someone's house down the street that was going to throw it away.

It's a bit stronger on UHF than the 7694, but an amp will still be needed for reliable reception of channels 22 & 50.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2011, 3:19 PM   #18
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Actually, FREE is the best deal of all...LOL take No Static at All up on his offer! LOL
Old 1-Aug-2011, 5:11 PM   #19
dcp12345678

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
The Winegard antennas are a Lot Better antennas then Antennacraft antennas no matter how it's diced up.
Just curious then, why did you recommend the AntennaCraft for my situation then if the Wineguard holds up better and is a better antenna?
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.p...ht=radio+shack

Was it for budget reasons?
dcp12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2011, 5:24 PM   #20
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Sorry, but I cannot see where I recommended an antenna for your situation at all...The AntennaCraft VHF yagi antennas work very well, are rugged, and are usually less expensive than the Winegard equivalent.

Last edited by mtownsend; 2-Aug-2011 at 5:37 PM. Reason: Edited to remove non-contructive comments