TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Aug-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
thinteman1

Football at the beach

First off I am a new at this but we have recently started going to the beach on Sunday nights and I was hoping to be able to watch football at the beach. The only channel that I am looking to get is wnbc which is about 60 miles from the place we park. I have made a mast that can raise an antenna about 15 feet in the air and I am hoping that based upon my tvfool results someone can recommend an antenna that would allow me to watch football at the beach. I do not have satellite so the only way I can think to accomplish this is by getting a long range uhf antenna. I would like for it to be something that I can collapse for transporting if possible. Is this possible/realistic?

Thanks Tim

tv fool results: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae43deac381d
thinteman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Big antennas such as the Antennas Direct 91XG and Winegard HD9095P would not be over kill. Unfortunately they don't lend themselves to the descriptor, 'collapsible'. The Antennas Direct DB8e is far more compact... and it has the gain you'll need.

You may need a decent preamp. The RCA TVPRAMP1R is actually a good product and not too expensive.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
thinteman1

Can I use the db8 as I dont need the wider angle

Do I need the db8e or can I get away with the db8? Not sure of the difference except that the db8 seems to cover a wider angle. Does it provide more gain than the db8?
Old 27-Aug-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The DB8e should have a bit more gain. It was engineered with the new UHF band in mind. Older designs had to cover UHF CH-14 to CH-69. Since the FCC reduced the UHV TV band to CH-14 to CH-51, the new design can squeeze a bit more gain out because it doesn't need to cover as wide a range of frequencies.

Still the difference is not extreme, about 2 dB.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 1:01 AM   #5
thinteman1

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I am ordering the db8e now and I will let you know how it works out.