TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Dec-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
gossamer

Antenna Expectations

Hi all,

Some time ago I purchased a Winegard HD7694P and have finally managed to get it installed and working. However, I'm disappointed by the number of stations with anything interesting on them, and wondered if I was still doing something wrong.

I'm located just outside of NYC, shown here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...001bc982b23203

I had previously asked about recommendations for an antenna, and GroundUrMast mentioned that I was in one of the best areas of the country, and the antenna should be about 150 or 160 degrees.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1780

I now have the antenna facing almost 180 degrees, after having also tried 160. I can receive all the main broadcast stations like NBC, CBS, ABC, and PIX. However, I was expecting to receive RTV, among others.

Is it the case that many channels are broadcasting what seems like dead air?

There are also a large amount of useless channels broadcasting in Japanese or Spanish.

Can someone else in the NYC area confirm there are really only three or four usable channels other than the main broadcast channels?

Could there be something else I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 1:45 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

Go here, then click on the NYC link to reveal all the stations. You'll see at this point the affiliation of the main channel (the // means "parallels," or repeats the station listed.) Clicking each station will reveal the list of sub-channels and what they carry. You can expand then all at the same time if you wish.

BTW, RTV is on WSAH and, yes, there are a lot of blank subchannels on a couple stations.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 11-Dec-2011 at 1:49 AM.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 1:56 AM   #3
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post

I now have the antenna facing almost 180 degrees, after having also tried 160. I can receive all the main broadcast stations like NBC, CBS, ABC, and PIX. However, I was expecting to receive RTV, among others.

RTV serves the New York City market via WSAH (RF42) out of Bridgeport, CT. This is a very weak station. If you read your TV Fool Radar plot, then you see that it has a co-channel warning. In fact, the co-channel W42CX (RF42) is much closer to you and has a stronger signal where you live. Good luck.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 2:22 AM   #4
Electron

Reception

gossamer has long list of posts , a very long list of posts. A long time ago , John Candle made his recommendation of what to do to receive WKOB RTV. You choose to listen to those that hate John Candle. And the recommendations that he gave. You listened to the misguided and in many cases out right lies of information. There are those here that hate VHF channels 2 thru 6 Low tv band. There are those here that do every thing they can to hide the fact that VHF 2 thru 6 low band is real and is transmitting. And there are those here that do every thing they can to hide the fact that Analog tv stations/channels are still transmitting and will be until 2015. There are some real SickO's here that shouted John Candle down time after time. John Candle provided Facts Real and actual links and web site sites as absolute proof , and the lies and haters shouted louder and louder and attacked John Candle time after time at many different question askers questions. Here are the names of some of the SickO's , Dave Loudin , Ground Ur Mast , ghz24.

Last edited by Electron; 11-Dec-2011 at 2:31 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 3:22 AM   #5
Dave Loudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
gossamer has long list of posts , a very long list of posts. A long time ago , John Candle made his recommendation of what to do to receive WKOB RTV. You choose to listen to those that hate John Candle. And the recommendations that he gave. You listened to the misguided and in many cases out right lies of information. There are those here that hate VHF channels 2 thru 6 Low tv band. There are those here that do every thing they can to hide the fact that VHF 2 thru 6 low band is real and is transmitting. And there are those here that do every thing they can to hide the fact that Analog tv stations/channels are still transmitting and will be until 2015. There are some real SickO's here that shouted John Candle down time after time. John Candle provided Facts Real and actual links and web site sites as absolute proof , and the lies and haters shouted louder and louder and attacked John Candle time after time at many different question askers questions. Here are the names of some of the SickO's , Dave Loudin , Ground Ur Mast , ghz24.
How does this help the OP?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 7:58 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Based on the information posted at rabbitears, WKOB does not currently carry RTV.
Per wikipedia WKOB terminated their affiliation with RTV September 26, 2011.

@ gossamer, Reviewing the thread from June of this year, my recommendation (and the similar recommendation made by John Candle) was to use an all channel antenna. The HD7694P is not an all channel antenna. It is not designed to assure reception of real channels 2 through 6. However, as noted above, WKOB's termination of RTV affiliation makes the issue mute unless the other programming carried by WKOB is of interest to you. Thanks to Dave Loudin and MisterMe for researching WSAH. Reception of WSAH may be possible, I would suggest that you test conditions by aiming your existing antenna at 78° compass. I expect reliable reception will ultimately require an antenna dedicated to that one weak signal. I would opt for an Antennas Direct XG-91 and their CPA-19 preamp. I would also anticipate the potential need for a tower or guyed mast.

I stand by my observation that viewers in the vicinity of NYC have many easy to receive OTA DTV signals and that antenna selection and installation is made easier when the majority of stations broadcast from a common location.

@ Electron, AKA John Candle, AKA Teleview, A review of the OP's earlier thread shows polite agreement regarding the recommendation of an all channel antenna. No one harassed you or even disagreed with you. But as of late, many have wearied of your Narcissism.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 11-Dec-2011 at 8:40 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 4:15 PM   #7
Electron

Truth

It is not about narcissism , it is about you leave me alone and I leave you alone. You ground your mast do not agree with me , do not disagree with me , you stay away from me. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2894

Last edited by Electron; 11-Dec-2011 at 4:22 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 5:17 PM   #8
No static at all

Ouch, we could sure use some holiday cheer right about now.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2011, 3:48 AM   #9
gossamer

Guys, thanks for all your help. I received several conflicting reports at the time, and ran out of time to research, and just had to make a decision.

My current post really isn't about the lower channels, anyway.

Even though NYC has one of the greatest number of channels in my proximity than may other places in the country, I guess the OTA broadcast really is crap, and I'm not doing something wrong or missing large amounts of channels after all.

If the best I could possibly do is with a few lower VHF channels with even the best antenna, then I'm not worried, because none of them are all that thrilling anyway.

Thanks again, and happy holidays.
Best,
Dave
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote