TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Aug-2013, 1:02 AM   #1
Schmidt1519

Indoor antenna suggestions

Hello,

I am living in a first floor condo looking for an indoor antenna. Here is my TV Fool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeee14297ec4

This is based on 7 ft above ground. The antenna would be on the north wall by a patio door, perfect with all of the signals coming from the Northeast. There are some bushes and trees outside of the door though that I am concerned about. Otherwise, the ground is pretty level in my area.

From my research I believe I would want a medium range directional antenna, but I am rather new to this and am definitely open to suggestions. My friend has a Philips MANT940 and recommended it. I figured I would check here before pulling the trigger, as it's range is only 20 miles.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if there is any other relevant information I can provide to help.
Schmidt1519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 5:16 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

You have plenty of signal strength in the air. Though most of the stations broadcast on UHF, though there are a couple operating in the VHF band.

The MANT940 is identified as a UHF antenna in Phillips ad copy, and the built in amplification should not be needed in your application.

Consider the Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa) which has a bit of UHF directional qualities that will help reduce interference from signals arriving from the side due to reflections. It also has intentional support for VHF.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 7:44 PM   #3
Schmidt1519

Thanks for the quick reply GroundUrMast. True, it does not appear that I would need an amplifier. I hear the Terk HDTVi quite a bit, must be a good one.

My concern is the size/look of it, especially compared to the Mohu Leaf. That one is very clean, small, and nice looking. However, I realize it is omni-directional. I have heard of the Leaf working up to about a 35 mile range. With all the towers being in the same direction though, would you say a directional antenna like the Terk HDTVi would still be the better option?

Thanks again
Schmidt1519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2013, 9:55 PM   #4
teleview

Smaller antennas have less reception.

'Cleaner' looking antennas have less reception.

Hiding antennas will produce less reception.

Recommend put the HDTVi antenna in/at the patio door window for better reception.

For improved reception put a , ANT751 , or , Antenna Craft HBU11 , out on the patio.

Aim the antenna to the , North East.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.