TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Feb-2010, 5:24 AM   #1
Squirt

Pulling the Most TV channels

I was wondering if someone would be able to recommend an Antenna . I've been doing some research, but I'm kind of just getting more confused.
I`m trying to hook grandma up with an antenna.One that pulls the most networks.
Saw this on e-bay, you think it might do the job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-AMPLIFIED-V...item2558f8eb96

Here's the link to my signal analysis report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...27eec724078012

Thanks for the response!
Squirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2010, 5:00 PM   #2
jayinc1

well i wanted to buy an ebay antenna until i started researching on the web and found out posts on people who bought them and had reception complaints. they finally opted to build their own and had better results. i have just built one and mounted it in the attic and i am amazed it gets all the channels (52 total) save for KERA channel 13 in dallas. (there's a solution for this i just haven't found it) to see it search for coat hanger antenna on youtube. i used regular electric copper wires. here are the plans. good luck and let us know what you decide. i suppose some people have great results with the ebay antenna and others don't. i just decided to try the youtube one before spending $ and i am glad i did. goodluck
jayinc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2010, 5:07 AM   #3
mtownsend

According to the tvfool report, this location is getting lots of strong TV signals from a few different directions (mostly north and south-east). With signals this strong, it doesn't require a very powerful antenna to get them.

However, I wouldn't recommend getting the antenna from ebay. From what I've heard, the antenna works (not great, just so-so), but the build quality is not there. There have been reports that the built-in rotator dies after about 1 year. I also suspect that the built-in signal amplifier is low quality (probably has a high noise figure and is prone to signal overload in the presence of strong signals).

Since you have signals coming from different directions and since they are strong, but not too strong, this appears to be a good place to use a Winegard MS-2000 or a Channel Master 3000A. There are omnidirectional antennas so you don't need to use an antenna rotator. They only work with medium-strong signals (can't be too strong and can't be too weak), and this location has lots of signals around that range. The amps from either Winegard or Channel Master should be at least as good as (and probably better than) the amp in that ebay antenna.

Some places include some RG59 cable with these antennas. RG6 cable is better (more rugged, better shielding, readily available almost everywhere), so if you're going to go through the trouble of pulling cable through a house, I'd recommend using RG6 instead of RG59.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote