Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Feb-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Freeduh

SERIOUS antenna buying help needed!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance....

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...27ee5653ffc3a0

well,I get NO channels at my house in Colorado Springs, and house has no attic, so that isn't an option! 2 story house built onto and into Cheyenne Mtn. in 1911, w/ NO line of sight to the TV towers that are also on same Mtn.! (below the "Shrine To The Sun" for local reference purposes)

The only channel that barely is discernible is the shopping channel 41 I think, and I couldn't care less about geting it anyway!

So I wanted to learn my options as I want to stay off cable from here on out, so need to see if it is antenna doable.

Thanks again,
Freeduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

It looks like you're really close the the transmitters, but still have a major terrain blockage in the way. Take a look at the profile view of KXRM (Fox) for your location (in the graphic, transmitter is on the left, your location is on the right).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...IGITAL%26n%3d7

Your house is pretty deep in the shadows of the little peak between you and the transmitter.

There are only a handful of transmitters that still have enough signal strength to be picked up with a rooftop antenna (roughly channels down to the "red" zone in the list, plus-or-minus a little bit). You'll need a pretty high gain (large) antenna like the Winegard HD7698P or Antennacraft HBU-55 on your roof to go after these stations.

You'll have to decide if there are enough stations within reach to make it worth your while.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2010, 5:58 PM   #3
Dave Loudin

I noticed that you have used 10 feet for the antenna height. Did you try bumping up that number to see how far up your antenna would have to be to start catching signals?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Freeduh

Thank you guys so much for the quick & personal attention to my (actually not just my!) post!

Quote:
It looks like you're really close the the transmitters, but still have a major terrain blockage in the way
yup, it's NORAD, or more accurately the mountain above it and the rest of Pike National Forest I guess..!

Quote:
You'll have to decide if there are enough stations within reach to make it worth your while.
well, the ones I would like to get are some of the red, and the first 2 into the gray-all of the rest down not so much in fact don't care at all!

Quote:
I noticed that you have used 10 feet for the antenna height.
Also, I am not sure if worth my while might not be feasible, in that as a novice I don't have a clue, but my place is unusual in that it is LITERALLY built into side of mtn., so I am confused figuring out feet above ground, etc.

What I mean, is the front of the house is a lot further down from the edge of the roof to the ground in front than is the back (or up side) of the house if standing at that edge of roof and measuring down. Not sure if that is any clearer description?

Quote:
Did you try bumping up that number to see how far up your antenna would have to be to start catching signals?
So, I re-did the interactive map thing with a couple different #'s as to height, and they are:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...27ee170c7fc913

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...27ee8720ea782a

also, a screengrab of hybrid map showing terrain for reference is attached below.

Oh yeah, we get some extreme wind and weather up here at this altitude occasionally, so that makes me wonder but I see 1 (yes, just 1) house in my neighborhood that has a large antennae on the roof, but sadly that lady passed away recently and it is vacant I think so I can't ask how it works/ holds up over time!

ok, thanks again.....truly a great service you guys are giving, for free..wow- outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FireShot #067 - 'TV Fool' - www_tvfool_com__option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90.jpg (100.4 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg TVFool35ft.jpg (109.3 KB, 688 views)

Last edited by Freeduh; 17-Feb-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: oops add correct photo attachment
Old 18-Feb-2010, 2:38 AM   #5
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeduh View Post
the ones I would like to get are some of the red, and the first 2 into the gray-all of the rest down not so much in fact don't care at all!
You probably have a good shot at the channels to your south (around compass heading 173) down into the red zone, but I'm not so sure about the ones in the gray because they are coming from different directions. You can only have your antenna point at one direction at a time, so the only way to try for these other stations is to use an antenna rotator.

Quote:
we get some extreme wind and weather up here at this altitude occasionally
The setup I would recommend is the following:

1) Antennas Direct 91XG (this is a UHF only antenna)
2) Winegard YA-1713 (this is a high VHF only antenna)
3) Channel Master 7777 pre-amp (this comes with a VHF/UHF dual input option)

Use a short mast (try not to extend more than about 10 feet beyond the mounting brackets) to limit the stress from the wind. A larger diameter (up to 1.5" diameter) and thicker walled mast will be stiffer/stronger.

Use a very strong mount to hold the mast. There are chimney mounts, wall/eave mounts, tripods, or standalone towers, depending on what works best for your property. It's best to pick a location that is high up and clear of as many obstructions as possible.

Place the 91XG on top, and tilt it upward by about 15 degrees. It's boom includes a mounting bracket that is designed to tilt like this.

Place the YA-1713 about 4 feet below the 91XG. It is not so sensitive to vertical angle, so there's no need to tilt this antenna. Aim both antennas toward the south (compass heading 173).

Run both into the CM 7777, also mounted on the mast, and make sure it's internal switch is set to allow separate UHF/VHF inputs.

Ideally, the bottom antenna should be at least ~4 feet above the roof.

Weatherproof all exposed connectors and cables to make sure no moisture gets inside.

Use RG6 coax for all the connections.

If you want to include an antenna rotator, then you will have two mast sections: a very short section at the bottom to mount the rotator motor, and an upper mast section to hold the antennas.

The reason I'm choosing the 91XG is because it has good gain, it is lightweight, and it doesn't create too much wind load. The fact that it's mounting bracket allow up-tilt is an added bonus since you'll need that to aim the antenna over the mountain ridges.

The reason for the YA-1713 is because KTSC in on a high VHF channel. If you decide to add a rotator and attempt stations to the north, then this antenna will also help with KMGH and KUSA.

The reason for the CM 7777 is because it comes with the ability to take in separate UHF/VHF antennas and it has a low Noise Figure rating. It's well suited to low signal situations like yours.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2010, 6:26 PM   #6
Freeduh

Thank you SO much. I will be printing this out to show whomever I hire to do all this if that time comes! Just need to decide what to do now.... I truly appreciate all of your help.