TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Jan-2017, 5:00 PM   #1
Irata

Lost a few channels, don't know why

For a good year my setup was working fine.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=37

About a month ago I noticed a 3 of the 5 Louisville channels I normally get would start not working. Seemed kind of random, didn't seem to last. Been progressively getting worse. The other two are fine though one has a slightly weaker signal per my Tivo than before. There has been no real change to my Indianapolis reception strength.

This morning channel 34, 41, and 58 were completely out. Signal too weak (about an average of 32 on the Tivo). I'm baffled by this. Did these three stations lower their power? Do I have a failure on my antenna or preamp? I have no idea.

The antenna has not moved.

I've attached my report in case you wanted to look at it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could look in to?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03e0da24271e
Irata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2017, 6:34 PM   #2
Jake V

I'd start by checking all your connections. Sometimes they get loose. Sometimes water gets into a connection. Also check the connections for the pre-amp (though if they go bad often you don't see any signal getting through).
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Also... I realize that this time of the year is not when one would expect to see trees growing up into the signal path... but is there any new construction that may be blocking or reflecting signals? Then, winter weather can make for some interesting propagation conditions. Temperature inversions can make the atmosphere reflect and bounce signals which can appear as signal fading at your location.

In the case of obstructions, you may be forced to move your antenna, up, down or laterally. In the case of weather induced propagation, moving the antenna may help... but only while the conditions remain the same.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jan-2017, 9:05 PM   #4
Irata

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Also... I realize that this time of the year is not when one would expect to see trees growing up into the signal path... but is there any new construction that may be blocking or reflecting signals? Then, winter weather can make for some interesting propagation conditions. Temperature inversions can make the atmosphere reflect and bounce signals which can appear as signal fading at your location.

In the case of obstructions, you may be forced to move your antenna, up, down or laterally. In the case of weather induced propagation, moving the antenna may help... but only while the conditions remain the same.
There's no new constructions in my little city that I am aware of. Could be someplace else maybe.

I may blame the weather. Been fairly mild compared to last year.

I checked my Tivo signal strength about 5pm yesterday, all three channels up around 50 which was good enough to view (they used to average 67-72).

I'm going to check what connections I can per Jake V suggestions. The ones up by the antenna I won't be able to.
Old 18-Jan-2017, 5:03 PM   #5
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Good info from Jake v and ground ur mast.

Also, with the recent weather, condensation could form inside outdoor connections that aren't sealed well.

The slightest amount of condensation in a connector can cause signal loss on frequencies and over time will cause corrosion and dielectric contamination.

I like to use coax seal to make the connections air tight
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2017, 5:16 PM   #6
Irata

Finally got some decent weather to do some checking.

Disconnected and then reconnected all the inside wiring (except behind the wall plate). No change to the signal.

Went outside and did the same to the Stellar Labs preamp but saw no improvement.

Decided to switch out to a RCA preamp I had. One of the coax connectors broke while doing so. That was fun. Got that replaced and everything connected. Success!

So maybe preamp or maybe the coax connector that broke, don't know but I'm happy so far.

Thank you everyone who responded. I appreciate the assistance.