TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Jun-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
meazz12

2 Way DC Pass Splitter

I am getting a 2 way DC splitter to go with my ClearStream2 Complete and CPA19 ClearStream Pre-Amplifier.
The splitter will be installed after the amp's power inserter.
I read the description of the splitter and I am little confused about this "DC Pass - Power pass on one port". What does this mean?
meazz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jun-2012, 6:24 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your description is fairly concise. But to be sure I understand, I'll say it another way...

Starting at the antenna, you have a short length of coax leading to a CPA-19... from there you have some length of coax leading to the power insertion block for the preamp. The splitter is a bit beyond that.

If the above describes your installation correctly, it wont matter whether your splitter passes DC or not. Each output functions the same way.

The DC passing feature comes in handy when the power insertion block needs to be located downstream of the splitter. (The antenna is the head of the stream, while the TV is the furthest point 'downstream'.)

Many splitters will not pass DC or 60 HZ AC power... these type splitters will prevent preamp power from reaching the mast mounted preamp unit if the power is inserted at the TV or any other point between the TV and non-DC passing splitter.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jun-2012, 1:26 PM   #3
meazz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Your description is fairly concise. But to be sure I understand, I'll say it another way...

Starting at the antenna, you have a short length of coax leading to a CPA-19... from there you have some length of coax leading to the power insertion block for the preamp. The splitter is a bit beyond that.

If the above describes your installation correctly, it wont matter whether your splitter passes DC or not. Each output functions the same way.

The DC passing feature comes in handy when the power insertion block needs to be located downstream of the splitter. (The antenna is the head of the stream, while the TV is the furthest point 'downstream'.)

Many splitters will not pass DC or 60 HZ AC power... these type splitters will prevent preamp power from reaching the mast mounted preamp unit if the power is inserted at the TV or any other point between the TV and non-DC passing splitter.
Thanks for the explanation.
This helps. I was wondering why a DC Pass was needed and how should I handle that.
Old 13-Jun-2012, 2:17 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

DC pass on one port is included so that a customer can install the splitter in a "where needed" location instead of being restricted to installing it at the output of the power inserter. We have several diagrams on our web site that show various configurations of amplifiers and splitters. See http://www.antennasdirect.com/empoweren10475.html for the menu.

If you don't need to make use of that feature, then it can be ignored.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jun-2012, 4:41 PM   #5
meazz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
We have several diagrams on our web site that show various configurations of amplifiers and splitters. See http://www.antennasdirect.com/empoweren10475.html for the menu.
The diagrams came in real handy.