TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 17-May-2013, 1:44 AM   #1
roadking00

Almost Ready to cut the Satalite/Cable Ties :)

So , I'm just about ready to cut all ties soon and go strickly OTA signals with most likely a Channel Master tuner or 2 for recording and other things it offers.

I have a questions on other over the internet services that are out there like a Roku 1,2 or 3 box, Hulu+ etc. or something similar that would work well in conjunction with the above mentioned for my TV/Movie needs and versatility needs?? Any pros/cons on what devices work well or not at all with each other?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are much appreciated
roadking00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2013, 5:55 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Shop around a bit... I recently purchased a blue-ray player intending only to play blue-ray and DVD disks. However, for under $100 I also have a unit from a well known vendor that includes Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and other internet service support. I see no reason go the Roku route, My BD/DVD player has the same capability.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2013, 8:06 AM   #3
roadking00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Shop around a bit... I recently purchased a blue-ray player intending only to play blue-ray and DVD disks. However, for under $100 I also have a unit from a well known vendor that includes Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and other internet service support. I see no reason go the Roku route, My BD/DVD player has the same capability.

Humm, Thanks for the reply, just not sure I wanna get into the expense of buying/renting BR DVD's and even storing them, trying to simplify and minimize the cluter as well ...
roadking00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2013, 1:55 PM   #4
elmo

I've got a 2nd gen Roku, XD I think. Got it new some time ago for about $60. We've used it for Amazon Prime and Netflix as well as the other various channels that are offered. There's a lot of private channels if you search the web for them. Some are junk while others do a nice job of providing a clean interface and aggregating a lot of content. The device has gained a lot of acceptance and continues to have channels and content made available. I know some new PBS channels were just added. There's now more support for DVR and local video playback as well. I haven't looked into that, but will be at some point. Local content (stuff on your server, NAS, etc) playback hasn't been a strong point of the Roku as it was intended to be a streamer. But with an API that is available, people are now creating channels that can transcode & playback your movie collections (non-DRM). I think PlayOn supports it, MediaBrowser is adding it. NextDVR already supports OTA content that you've recorded, for Roku playback. For just $60 for a device that's growing more capable as time passes - it's hard to go wrong there. I doubt that any Smart TV interface can match that. There are other boxes out there that stream content from the big player, but none that I know of that is as open to the little guys as the Roku is.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2014, 1:12 PM   #5
Jason l

Roku/appletv

Not familiar with channel master tuner. I have roku 3 Apple TV and ota no dish or cable. The roku3 has aloof the above Netflix Hulu plus Amazon mgo Blockbuster a lot of paper views and a lot of free stuff a lot more than the Apple TV and they're both about 100 bucks Apple TV is awesome because you can airplay anything from your iPhone to it so virtually anything you can get from the Internet I can play on my TV. Roku 3 needs hdmi input as well as Apple TV
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2014, 3:40 PM   #6
Jason l

Roku/appletv

Not familiar with channel master tuner. I have roku 3 Apple TV and ota no dish or cable. The roku3 has aloof the above Netflix Hulu plus Amazon mgo Blockbuster a lot of paper views and a lot of free stuff a lot more than the Apple TV and they're both about 100 bucks Apple TV is awesome because you can airplay anything from your iPhone to it so virtually anything you can get from the Internet I can play on my TV. Roku 3 needs hdmi input as well as Apple TV
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote