TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Nov-2011, 3:37 PM   #1
JeffKnob

Unhappy Sporadic reception

I have a ClearStream2 antenna about 14ft off the ground with roughly 25ft of RG6 running into my house. From there I have it connect to an amplified distribution splitter. There is supposed to be 8db per output.
http://www.amazon.com/DIGITAL-AMPLIF.../dp/B001EKCGT8

One lead has about a 25ft run to a bedroom, one runs about 40ft to an office, and one runs about 70ft to my living room. The run to the living room has an additional 12db amp inline as well.

Sometimes I can get a good signal of about 79-80% for all of my channels (the ones in green in the attached picture). Other times I lose a channel competely. The Fox channel WLUK is a common one I lose.

I was thinking that I needed a preamp but if I am not getting the signal to start out with, that won't do any good. According to the attached picture from this site, I should be able to get these stations in which an indoor antenna easily. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to get a consistant signal that I won't have to mess with everyday to achieve.

Thanks for your help.
JeffKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2011, 7:06 PM   #2
ghz24

need report

Hi JeffKnob,
Welcome to the forum.
The community will need a link to your tvfool report. Visit here if you need help getting the report.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2011, 7:20 PM   #3
JeffKnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghz24 View Post
Hi JeffKnob,
Welcome to the forum.
The community will need a link to your tvfool report. Visit here if you need help getting the report.
Sorry about that. I thought I was attaching it to the original post but maybe I am not allowed attachments since I am new here.

Here is the link.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec1249c9e94c04
Old 28-Nov-2011, 7:44 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

My first knee-jerk reaction is:

Rule of thumb - One amplifier can be too many. Two amplifiers are too many.

What happens when you remove all amplifiers... connect one TV to the 'bare-foot' antenna feed? (I would expect the CS2 to deliver enough signal power with no amplifier needed... except for WLUK.)

Does the CS2 face NE?

The CS2 is a UHF only design, WLUK is broadcast on real channel 11 (VHF). You may need a high-VHF antenna such as an Antennacraft Y5713 and a UVSJ to combine your existing UHF and the additional VHF signals. Try removing the amplifiers first.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Nov-2011 at 7:54 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2011, 7:54 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Upgrade kits to convert the C2 to a C2v should be available in quantity in a few days.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2011, 8:38 PM   #6
JeffKnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
My first knee-jerk reaction is:

Rule of thumb - One amplifier can be too many. Two amplifiers are too many.

What happens when you remove all amplifiers... connect one TV to the 'bare-foot' antenna feed? (I would expect the CS2 to deliver enough signal power with no amplifier needed... except for WLUK.)

Does the CS2 face NE?

The CS2 is a UHF only design, WLUK is broadcast on real channel 11 (VHF). You may need a high-VHF antenna such as an Antennacraft Y5713 and a UVSJ to combine your existing UHF and the additional VHF signals. Try removing the amplifiers first.
I had it at one time facing NE and then strangely I seemed to get better reception facing it NW. That leads me to now think you might be right about having too many amps. So if I were to get the VHF conversion for my CS2, I "should" have enough power to feed all of my runs in the house without an amp?
Old 28-Nov-2011, 9:40 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Try re-aiming the antenna with no amplifiers connected, using just one TV.

With noise margins predicted to be 30 dB or higher, I expect that you should have enough signal power to drive 100' of coax and a 4-way split, all with no amplifier.

You already own the 4-port PCT amp which has a fairly high input capacity, so you can go ahead and use it rather than buying a passive splitter. However, the second amp must be overloading, and even if it isn't, it's adding noise that works against you.

Follow up with Antennas Direct. Their VHF retrofit kit was not on their web site when I checked earlier (edit: per ADTech, they are on the website), but they have been testing them in the field for some time now.

(FWIW: The total loss of 100' of RG-6 is less than 7 dB at the top end of the UHF band. A 4-way splitter should not have more than 7 or 8 dB of insertion loss. The math says you should have less than 15 dB total loss between the antenna and the most distant TV. The CS2 has forward gain that offsets as much as half of that cable+splitter loss, which would leave a NM of over 20dB at the TV tuner.)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Nov-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: ADTech says the retrofit kit is available through their webiste
Old 28-Nov-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
ghz24

c2v

Quote:
So if I were to get the VHF conversion for my CS2, I "should" have enough power to feed all of my runs in the house without an amp?
The conversion kit should get you reliable wluk reception.
Old 28-Nov-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
ADTech

The upgrade kit has been on the site for a couple of weeks. It's under Accessories> Reflectors.

The wide beamwidth of the C2 can be a double-edged sword. In environments where towers are broadly scattered, it helps by often avoiding a rotor. But, since there's no such thing as a free lunch, that same broad beam-width makes it more susceptible to off-axis multi-path. A more directional antenna such as a small UHF Yagi can be a better choice when UHF stations are effectively co-located and if multi-path occurs. Usually when this arises with a C2, the best response is to relocate the antenna and try again.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Last edited by ADTech; 29-Nov-2011 at 1:14 AM.
Old 28-Nov-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
ghz24

reflector

Quote:
The upgrade kit has been on the site for a couple of weeks. It's under Accessories> Reflectors
So ADTech, the 35.5 inch rod on the c2v is not connected to the feed line?
Like wide reflectors on whisker type (4/8 bays) give some VHF sensitivity?
Old 29-Nov-2011, 1:08 AM   #11
ADTech

It's a simple unity gain dipole with a balun and UVSJ to combine the dipole with the loop element, nothing fancy. We did it using parts and materials that were mostly off the shelf. We bought the UVSJ of a vendor's shelf and slightly modified the plastic dipole holder from the one used on our V-series antennas.

Here's a "universal" version I made up for other of our UHF antennas.

The actual C2 upgrade kit is a reflector with all this already attached to it. It takes only five minutes to swap out the reflector, move two cables, and snap the rods into place.

Tech data sheet is for the C2v is available under "Documents" on the product page for the ClearStream 2 Complete which includes a C2v.

Last edited by ADTech; 29-Nov-2011 at 1:14 AM.
Old 29-Nov-2011, 2:29 AM   #12
JeffKnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Upgrade kits to convert the C2 to a C2v should be available in quantity in a few days.
I purchased the CS2 antenna because it said I could get DTV with it. I have to purchase something additional in order to get VHF now?
Old 2-Dec-2011, 5:43 PM   #13
JeffKnob

I redirected the antenna to the proper direction using a compass and removed the extra amps. I am now only using the amplified splitter talked about above. I am getting a good signal now for all channels but the VHF one. I have a conversion kit ordered from Antennas Direct. I hope this will take care of that final issue.
Old 7-Dec-2011, 7:33 PM   #14
JeffKnob

Angry

I got the addon VHF portion from Antennas Direct and have installed it. After doing so my UHF reception is worse. I do get my Fox channel somewhat now (the only VHF channel). For testing I setup a TV in my basement close to where the cable comes into the house. The signal issues I experience throughout the house are also happening in the basement as well. I wonder if I need a preamp or to go higher with the antenna. My antenna is currently attached to a mast that is at the back corner of my house. It is about 14ft off of the ground and line of site to where the towers would be (about 22 miles away), my neighbor's house is in the way. I have also thought about cutting my losses with this antenna and get something more conventional. What should I do?
Old 7-Dec-2011, 8:06 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

Is there any chance of damage to the coax or it's connectors? Is there any chance of water in the coax?

I agree, you need to see a usable signal at the point closest to the antenna...

Old 7-Dec-2011, 8:13 PM   #16
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKnob View Post
... After doing so my UHF reception is worse. I do get my Fox channel somewhat now (the only VHF channel). For testing I setup a TV in my basement close to where the cable comes into the house. The signal issues I experience throughout the house are also happening in the basement as well. I wonder if I need a preamp or to go higher with the antenna. My antenna is currently attached to a mast that is at the back corner of my house. It is about 14ft off of the ground and line of site to where the towers would be (about 22 miles away), my neighbor's house is in the way. I have also thought about cutting my losses with this antenna and get something more conventional. What should I do?
You clearly don't need a pre-amp because you have too many strong signals including FOX11 WLUK (RF11). Also, I would doubt that your neighbor's house is the issue. I would suspect that the issue is your cabling or your connections.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2011, 3:32 PM   #17
ADTech

Jeff,

Adding the upgrade should have negligible (if any) effect on the C2's UHF reception. If your reception has been significantly affected, that suggests to me that either the diplexer is bad or one of the short coax cables is defective.

I will look up your order and will pull an upgrade kit from inventory, test it, and ship it out today as a replacement. Please let me know if this resolves your reception issues.

Steve

Old 8-Dec-2011, 9:23 PM   #18
JeffKnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Jeff,

Adding the upgrade should have negligible (if any) effect on the C2's UHF reception. If your reception has been significantly affected, that suggests to me that either the diplexer is bad or one of the short coax cables is defective.

I will look up your order and will pull an upgrade kit from inventory, test it, and ship it out today as a replacement. Please let me know if this resolves your reception issues.

Steve
Thanks Steve. That is certainly worth a shot. I was definitely confused when this happened. I also plan on trying a new run of cable into my house because my overall performance doesn't seem to be as good as people are saying it should be. This was true even before I added the c2v upgrade. If after I replace the cable and the new c2v upgrade you are sending, I still don't get a good signal, I will definitely post again here. I am hopeful though that this will all work out.

Jeff
Old 4-Jan-2012, 7:02 PM   #19
JeffKnob

My only remaining issue is that my CBS station (WFRV) will have a good signal and then just completely stop. It goes from 0 to about 70% back down to 0 randomly. The other channels don't behave anything like that. I am confused.
Old 4-Jan-2012, 7:14 PM   #20
ADTech

Multi-path. Try a different mounting location or a more directional antenna.