TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Nov-2013, 2:05 PM   #1
decaffeine

Ready to go to an outdoor antenna

Hello, I have been reading the forum for months. I finally decided to get an account and ask you experts for some help.

I am currently using a homemade gray hoverman attic antenna with a homemade rotator and a winegard AP-8275 preamp. The reception WAS great. I put a radiant barrier in the attic and the quality of the signal has degraded significantly.

I would like to mount an outdoor antenna on the chimney. I would like some advice on what to get. The cable run from the chimney to a splitter would be about 25 feet and then about 20 feet each to 2 rooms, and 30 feet to the 3rd room. It would be extremely rare to have more than one television on at the same time at my home.

There is a row of trees on the North side of my house belonging to my neighbor. They are all about 35feet high. The house is for sale so maybe my future neighbor will trim them but for now, I can’t do anything about them. I really don’t want to try to get my antenna higher than the trees.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

12 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae42836dd01c

25 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6c393d3042

40 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aef4ee8b60c7
decaffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2013, 3:08 PM   #2
decaffeine

Advice on outdoor antenna

I apologize if this is a double post. I submitted a post over an hour ago and it didn't show. Does a moderator have to approve it before it shows?

Hello, I have been reading the forum for months. I finally decided to get an account and ask you experts for some help.

I am currently using a homemade gray hoverman attic antenna with a homemade rotator and a winegard AP-8275 preamp. The reception WAS great. I put a radiant barrier in the attic and the quality of the signal has degraded significantly.

I would like to mount an outdoor antenna on the chimney. I would like some advice on what to get. The cable run from the chimney to a splitter would be about 25 feet and then about 20 feet each to 2 rooms, and 30 feet to the 3rd room. It would be extremely rare to have more than one television on at the same time at my home.

There is a row of trees on the North side of my house belonging to my neighbor. They are all about 35feet high. The house is for sale so maybe my future neighbor will trim them but for now, I can’t do anything about them. I really don’t want to try to get my antenna higher than the trees.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

12 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae42836dd01c

25 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6c393d3042

40 Feet: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aef4ee8b60c7
Old 28-Nov-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
--------
The signal strengths are strong at your location.

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , West , North West , North , North East , East , South East.

Aim a ANT751 antenna at about 0 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Nov-2013 at 1:14 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Stereocraig

I'm all for outdoor mounting, but do not believe in mounting on, or anywhere near a chimney, or it's contaminants.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 1:31 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
------
Can also install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU11 antenna.

Here are some chimney antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard 2212 , ronard 2215 , ronard 2224 .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , or buy from , www.ronard.com .

Last edited by teleview; 29-Nov-2013 at 1:33 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 1:34 PM   #6
decaffeine

Thanks

The second time I posted, I saw the message that a moderator must approve flash for about 1 second on my screen. I missed that the first time. I do have a lensatic compass that I will use when doing the install.

Thanks for the advice teleview. I like how small that antenna you recommended is. I've done some comparison shopping for price and found some saying ANT751R. Is that the same antenna?

Stereocraig, I live in Florida. My fireplace is functional but does not get used. I'm planning on mounting 12 feet above the chimney which has a diffuser, so even if it was to get used, would have no likelihood of actually doing anything to the antenna.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 1:48 PM   #7
teleview

The ANT751 and ANT751R are the same.

Read my post about the HBU11.

And the link for chimney antenna mounts.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

----

Top Rail , fence pipe , is long , and works good to get antenna up high.

The Big box stores such as Home Depot and Lowes and etc. have Top Rail fence pipe.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 2:03 PM   #8
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaffeine View Post
I've done some comparison shopping for price and found some saying ANT751R. Is that the same antenna?
I believe the "R" version includes the J-pole mount, which you don't need if chimney mounting. Used to cost more, too, as you would expect, but now I can't seem to find the site that sold with and without J-pole mount. If I were you, I'd just find the lowest price (don't forget tax and shipping) and if you get the J-pole and don't need it, toss it into storage in case you need it some day. But it's the same antenna either way.

Here's SolidSignal's listing, without the J-pole. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=044476064524

Last edited by tomfoolery; 29-Nov-2013 at 2:05 PM.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 2:05 PM   #9
decaffeine

Teleview,

That HBU11 is certainly a lot cheaper than the ANT751. Is it just as good as the ANT751 in performance and longevitity? I am definitely willing to buy the more expensive antenna if it is worth it.

That is the chimney mount I was looking at getting. I like that it has a positive stop.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 3:09 PM   #10
teleview

The ANT751 and ANT751R = Resvised.

The revised version is retuned for a little better performance for the reduced number of channels of the UHF channels.

The UHF channels are now 14 thru 51.

We're 14 thru 69.

However for all pratical pouporses , it's splitting hairs as a improvement in reception ability.

---------

Performance of the HBU11 is a little better then the ANT751.

Because of the Bowtie UHF reception element.
And has more active VHF high band elements.

However the performance improvement of the HBU11 , With Strong Local Signal Strengths , as compared to straight UHF reception elements , is also very close to , splitting hairs.

--------

In a Weak signal strength reception situation the Bowtie type UHF reception element is better at receiving.

-----------

Longevitity of both antennas will be about the same.

Last edited by teleview; 3-Dec-2013 at 1:18 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 3:42 PM   #11
decaffeine

Hbu11

It sounds like the HBU11 is the better choice. I'm going to order that one. I'll probably order a new 3 way splitter while I'm at it. Going to go measure the chimney right now for that mount!

Thanks Teleview. I'll give you an update on my reception when I get it all done.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 6:46 PM   #12
teleview

+=>
-------
Outside , use coax that has the Compression type coax connectors on the ends of the coax , not the crimp type connectors.

After all is connected and working correctly ,

To make double sure that weather/water does not get into outside connections , wrap with , www.coaxseal.com .

After all is working correctly and reception is good , can also InCase the matching transformer (balun) in coax seal to keep water out of the balun.

The coax can be fed up through the bottom of the antenna mast pipe such as the Top Rail fence pipe ,
And out the top of the pipe and then connected to the antenna with the balun.

With the coax inside the mast pipe , the coax is not swinging in the wind.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Nov-2013 at 6:59 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:01 PM   #13
decaffeine

That is some good advice Teleview,

I have quad shield cable, compression connectors, and the proper tools to crimp them. That coax seal tape looks like some good stuff but I will probably use up the stuff I have. I have tons of silicone F4 tape and a big bottle of liquid tape.

I was looking into grounding. I know how to put in a grounding rod and run the wire but not sure how it connects to the antenna. Does it only go to the shield of the cable, or should I connect it to the mast too?
Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:16 PM   #14
decaffeine

I just had another idea. It would be easier to hook up the ground to an existing ground wire in a gang box that is in the attic. Can I do that instead of putting in a ground rod?
Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:20 PM   #15
teleview

Home Depot and Lowes has all manner of Grounding hardware and connections and also has Copper Alloy wire that is very strong and long lasting is made for the purpose of grounding.

A Coax Ground Block can be installed at the antenna / antenna mounting and ground the coax and antenna mounting , with coax ground block installed on the antenna mounting.

Is best to run the ground wire to the electric service area at the the building and connect to the ground rod wire or actual ground rod.

However it is your choice to install a separate ground rod or use a separate ground rod that is already in place.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Nov-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Clarify informtion and typos.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:31 PM   #16
decaffeine

From the chimney to the electric service area would be a heckuva long run. I got the cerrowire brand grounding wire but not enough to go to the service ground. I really want to avoid that route if at all possible just due to the distance I would have to go and that there isn't too many options for running it besides all the way around the outside behind the gutter.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:42 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

I simply use a grounding clamp on the antenna mast, then run a #10 AWG copper wire to the electrical service ground. Then I route the coax from the antenna, outside the building, to a point colse to the electrical service ground. There, I install a coax grounding block, which is connected to the electrical service ground via a short piece of #10 AWG copper wire.

I avoid adding a ground rod if possible. If I do add a ground rod, I run #6 AWG copper between the new rod and the existing electrical service ground. The earth can't be counted on as a low resistance conductor, the #6 AWG 'bond' ensures that the 'antenna ground' and the rest of the house wiring ground are the same voltage even if a fault is present.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 9:23 PM   #18
decaffeine

Hi GroundUrMast,
Your answer, which I believe is 100% correct (especially with that username and associated photo), pains me greatly. My service ground could not be further away from where I want to put the antenna. It is going to be a PITA.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 9:47 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

Is there any 'left-in' cable from a cable company install or satellite system install? If so, there's a good chance there's a grounding block already in place...

I don't want to be discouraging... But I also can't encourage corner cutting that leaves you vulnerable to safety hazards.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Nov-2013 at 9:50 PM. Reason: another thought...
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 10:27 PM   #20
decaffeine

The house is a very long ranch style house. The front door opens to the east. The chimney is on the northwest end of the house.

I have cable internet. The grounding block for it is installed in a plastic box about 1 foot from my main CB panel outside on the south east corner of the house (garage) . The grounding rod is straight down from there.

I am thinking that at this point I should try to find another place to put the antenna.