TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Aug-2019, 10:48 PM   #21
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvplease View Post
Rabbit, I'm just messing around with this scenario because it's just an interest I have. My main antenna setup is the DB8e combined with the Y10-7-13 35 feet in the air which does an awesome job for me although I probably should pull it down and put either a UVSJ or a AD VHF/UHF combiner instead of the splitter I used in reverse. It's been working for over 5 years as is so why fix what ain't broke.
You got lucky that the splitter in reverse as a combiner worked.

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-Aug-2019 at 10:52 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Aug-2019, 10:52 PM   #22
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMinNJ View Post
The box was blue in color instead of white ...but shorter like the picture and the antennna boom came in 2 pieces like that. The ANT751r was a longer white box with the boom in one long piece.
So, yet another change. They reverted to the original design, but used the 2-section boom like for the 7511.

Where did you buy that 751E?
Old 8-Aug-2019, 2:14 AM   #23
RMinNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
So, yet another change. They reverted to the original design, but used the 2-section boom like for the 7511.

Walmart.. It was in a specific walmart in my area when I did a search. They had both on the shelf and I picked the smaller box. Reading on here there was talk the 751r was better so when I was in another walmart (that listed none in stock on the walmart website) they had a bunch of the longer 751r's. For
me the 751e was better and I was really impressed it pulled in the stations.. It probably would have worked better up on my roof but 2 of the channels were precarious or came in only in one spot.. I really need a larger antenna at my location but so wanted in my mind to install the small 751..

Last edited by RMinNJ; 8-Aug-2019 at 2:21 AM.
RMinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Aug-2019, 12:52 PM   #24
freetvplease

Well I have another itch I want to scratch. I have a Stellar Labs 30-2475 VHF antenna that I want to see if I can reduce it down from 5 feet to 3 feet. I've never seen a Y3. Luckily with this antenna the elements are detachable except for the one connected to the transformer.
freetvplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Aug-2019, 1:14 PM   #25
freetvplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Antenna design is sorta like golf... If you hit the ball just right, it goes in the cup... Left, right, long or short are all a miss. De-tuning an antenna in resonance or impedance either high or low will cause a 'miss'.
Yeah, but it's fun fiddling around to see what happens. I obviously have too much time on my hands atm
Old 8-Aug-2019, 4:39 PM   #26
freetvplease

Quote:

Is there any difference between the older ANT751r and the ANT751e? My box says it's the ANT751e
Old 8-Aug-2019, 7:31 PM   #27
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvplease View Post
Is there any difference between the older ANT751r and the ANT751e? My box says it's the ANT751e
I don't really know. I would have to have both in my possession. My wild guess from what others have posted is that they are very similar, except the boom for the 751E is in two sections. This allows a smaller box which reduces cost and space for inventory.
Old 9-Aug-2019, 1:20 PM   #28
freetvplease

Quote:
I don't really know. I would have to have both in my possession. My wild guess from what others have posted is that they are very similar, except the boom for the 751E is in two sections. This allows a smaller box which reduces cost and space for inventory.
My boom was in one piece. All I had to do was unfold all the elements and put it up.
Old 12-Aug-2019, 4:42 PM   #29
freetvplease

Quote:
The HDB4X is sold as a VHF/UHF antenna, but it is primarily a UHF antenna that will pick up VHF signals if they are very strong.

If you combine the 751 and the HDB4X with a splitter in reverse, you will most likely have problems because the VHF signals picked up by the two antennas will interfere with each other at the combining point. The UHF signals from each will also interfere with each other.

If you want to use the 751 just for VHF and combine it with the HDB4X for UHF, that will work if you use a UVSJ (UHF-VHF-Separator-Joiner) to combine them. That is what GroundUrMast suggested in post #4.

Since you haven't included a signal report in this thread or told us what channels are most important to you, it isn't possible to tell you what setup might work best for your location.
You are right. I've been playing around with and getting plenty of exercise with both the DB4e and the HDB4X and in my experiments they are one to one interchangeable. What I like about the HDB4X besides it being $20 cheaper is it's slightly smaller form factor and it has a more sturdier build. I'm having a lot of fun in my later years!