TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Feb-2014, 6:23 PM   #21
Broadus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
While I would like the added gain of the HBU-55, the beam-width of the HBU-44 is wider, something that will be useful in your situation.
That's good to know. Thanks. I figured you had a good reason.
Broadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2014, 5:10 PM   #22
Broadus

A little update: after months of thinking about canceling our DishTV subscription, I finally ordered the Antennacraft HBU44 from Solid Signal via Amazon. About everything I've read confirms this suggestion. I really appreciate the help here.

Now I need to review Teleview's list of accessories. I need to look into the 10 foot lengths of top rail chain link fence pipe. I would like to interconnect the lengths so that the mast rests on the concrete at the back of the house and attach it to the point of the gable, which would be perhaps 18 feet. I would prefer not to mount the antenna on the roof itself. I want the mast to be strong enough to endure stiff winds and would love not to have to use guys wires if at all possible. That may require a real heavy-gauge pipe, I guess.

As always, I appreciate suggestions concerning any of this. While I want to save money, I don't mind spending what is necessary.
Old 9-Apr-2014, 8:07 PM   #23
GroundUrMast

You have several options. The chain-link top rail is swedged so that sections can be stacked end to end. That will require the use of guy-wires or wall brackets.

http://www.3starinc.com/adjustable_3...enna_mast.html
http://www.3starinc.com/wall_mounts.html

You can also consider using metal electrical conduit, rigid or IMC which will be threaded on both ends. It too would need to be supported similar to the top rail product.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2014, 9:59 PM   #24
teleview

+=>

A wall mount bracket can be install on the eave at the peak of the roof , the sections of TOP RAIL PIPE are put together end to end and put up from the ground up and connected to the bracket at the peak of the roof.

The TOP RAIL PIPE can extend up to 10 feet above the peak of the roof with no guy wires.

I recommend about 5 or so above the peak of the roof with no guy wires.

The reason for 5 feet or so above the roof is , 5 feet or so is easier to reach then 10 feet above the roof.

--------

http://www.3starinc.com , has all manner of mounting brackets.

Last edited by teleview; 10-Apr-2014 at 4:34 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 10-Apr-2014, 12:35 AM   #25
GroundUrMast

I've been comfortable with a single section of top rail held by a pair of wall brackets. I was able to reinforce the wall behind the siding with 2x4 bracing between studs, and bolt through the bracket, siding and bracing. about 3' of mast was below the peak of the roof which left the antenna at roof peak plus 7'.

The location was here in the NW, which gets a few storms that hit 100 MPH winds in any 20 year period. The antenna and mast went through a couple 60 MPH events before selling that property.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2014, 1:30 AM   #26
Broadus

Thanks, teleview and GroundUrMast. Something on that order is what I had in mind. Hopefully, I'll get it all done within a couple of weeks.
Old 21-Apr-2014, 5:40 PM   #27
Broadus

Officially OTA

A friend helped me erect the new antenna and connect it to our two TVs on Friday, though I had to deal reception problems with a couple of stations. Looking it over a hour or so ago, I realized that the antenna may be pointed directly at a limb which had a couple of leafy branches. I lowered the antenna about three feet (it's now maybe three feet above the point of the roof) and the problem was solved. We're getting good reception from all our "local" stations from the Greenville, Spartanburg, and Asheville area.

I also bought a Roku 3, so with Amazon Prime, we're pretty set.

I appreciate the help you guys offered.
Old 21-Apr-2014, 8:59 PM   #28
teleview

+=>

I am curious , what are the 2 Tv stations that had the reception problems??

Did you install the HBU44 antenna??

Is a preamplifier connected now??
Old 21-Apr-2014, 10:39 PM   #29
Broadus

The two problem stations were 16 and 21, with 21 being the worse. That didn't make sense to me, as strong as the signal of 21 is, according to the TVFool report.

Yes, I installed the HBU44 but no preamp.