TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Mar-2013, 5:14 PM   #1
Alan909

The New Winegard "BOOST" Amplifier???

Has anyone know of or used the new Wingard Boost Amplifier??? and if so, how did it work???...Or any comments about this item???...It claims to have a noise level of 1.0 db...will try to post link here...
http://www.winegard.com/get-free-tv/...b89d7da5d04da9
Alan909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-2013, 5:52 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'll take them at their word and assume the performance is as claimed. Winegard has a deserved reputation...

However, I see they specifically warn that this is to be used in a protected (indoor only) location. That means it can't serve as a preamp on an outdoor mounted antenna. It may serve well as a distribution amp in a large system (6 or more tuners and long cable runs).

No idea what the overload point is...

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Mar-2013 at 5:05 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-2013, 7:38 PM   #3
Alan909

That is the confusing part, on the site page, there is questions and answers...and a few of the questions in the FAQ's section was...
"Why do I need a Boost amplifier?
The Boost amplifier helps pick up channels that your non-amplified antenna alone may not be able to pick up. Additionally, the amplifier minimizes pixelization and drop-outs."
and
"Can I use the Boost amplifier as a distribution amplifier?
Yes. The Boost amplifier can be used to distribute signal to multiple TVs."

I might be wrong but judging by those answers, it does not sound like a distribution amp only...it works on non-amplified antennas only???...hummm???...but then again, I tend to agree with you, I am still 50 50 about it, that's why I posted the link for comments...
Alan909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Mar-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
psa64

Winegard AP8700 preamp + Boost?

What do you experts advise about adding the Boost Digital TV Antenna Amplifier to a system that already includes Winegard HD7697P + Winegard AP8700 preamp? Is use of both compatible or should I unplug the preamp first?
psa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Mar-2013, 2:34 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

I'm skeptical of any claim that suggests an amplifier can make a low performance antenna into a better performing antenna. Amplifiers do not and can not 'pull' signal from the coax, antenna or air.

An amplifier 'pushes' signal through the additional loss of cable and splitters. If the tuner has a poor noise figure, and the amplifier has a better noise figure you'll get some benefit there as well. Rather than claiming the amplifier may help the antenna, I would far prefer the ad copy suggest you might help your tuner... a little.

I've shared this analogy before, but why not again?

If you dig a hole and find some muddy water at the bottom, you might be inclined to call it a well. If you put a high pressure pump at the bottom of that 'well' the best you could hope to get at the tap would be high pressure muddy water. If you add a second pump in line... perhaps you'll get more pressure but the water is still unfit to drink. If you want drinkable water, dig the hole deep enough to reach a steady supply of clean water. Then, knowing how deep the well is, and how long the pipes are and how many gallons per minute flow is needed, a pump can be selected... but the pump is still not the source of clean, drinkable water.

The antenna and it's location is analogous to the well and it's location/depth. The amplifier is analogous to a pump. A pump without a well to draw from is not going to produce water. An amplifier connected to an antenna that does not receive a usable signal is not going to create a usable signal.

@psa64, rarely are two amplifiers needed. The high output level of the AP8700 could cause a second amplifier to overload which would leave you with less reliable reception.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Mar-2013 at 5:32 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
elmo

I like that analogy!
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote