TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Oct-2013, 5:29 PM   #1
SolarHouse

No Fox in the House

I recently ended a bad relationship with Comcast, and decided to go with an antenna. I have found very helpful information on this site, but have a problem receiving the Fox channels.

My house is in Lakewood, CO, and I have included a link to my report below.

I installed an RCA ANT751R outdoor antenna in the attic about 20 ft above ground level, which I directed at 292 degrees. There is about 40 ft of coaxial cable between the antenna and the TV. There are no splitters or amps (although I did add an amp to see if it would solve the problem; it did not so I disconnected it). The receiver is in my TV, a Sony Bravia. I receive all the major networks and local channels crystal clear, including both PBS channels: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, and 20, as well as several decimal channels and other local broadcasts, about 35 channels in all.

Can I ask for advice about how to pull in the Fox channel 31?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aedf2a5ad039

Thanks.
SolarHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2013, 8:26 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'd suggest using an Antennas Direct DB8e + EU385CF UHF/VHF Antenna Combiner + the existing ANT-751R.

That would maximize your UHF capability while keeping the existing VHF.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2013, 9:06 PM   #3
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Before installing a second antenna.

Install the ANT751 above the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , north west , west , south west , south , east.

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channels scans.

Do Double Resacan , www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 20-Oct-2013 at 1:08 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 19-Oct-2013, 9:13 PM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Notice the red "a" by KDVR on your tvfool report.

You might be having a problem with adjacent channel interference to KDVR FOX on real CH32 from KMAS on CH33. Your tvfool report lists analog KMAS-LP on CH33. If you look at rabbitears.info you will see that it is now active digital KMAS-LD:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...callsign=67545

ATSC Recommended Practice:
Receiver Performance Guidelines
Document A/74:2010, 7 April 2010
http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_74-2010.pdf

page 15 shows a chart for adjacent thresholds:

The difference in strength between the two channels is now uncertain because KMAS is now digital and seems to be at a new location, but the more directional DB8e UHF antenna suggested by GroundUrMast might help.

Last edited by rabbit73; 19-Oct-2013 at 10:45 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2013, 7:37 PM   #5
SolarHouse

Thanks for the suggestion. For my application in the attic, do you think a smaller and less-expensive UHF-only antenna like an Antenna Direct DB2E or a ClearStream 1 or 2 would work as well?
SolarHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2013, 7:58 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

No, a small UHF capability has already been tried (ANT-751R). If you want to see the weaker signal from KDVR you need to move the antenna outside or use a high gain / directional solution.

In the end, the attic may not work for a given signal.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2013, 7:59 PM   #7
stvcmty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarHouse View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. For my application in the attic, do you think a smaller and less-expensive UHF-only antenna like an Antenna Direct DB2E or a ClearStream 1 or 2 would work as well?
If you must keep your antenna in the attic, you need more gain, not less, so you would need a LARGER uhf antenna. Given the DB8e is as large as is commonly available, the only other thing to try would be a different type of high gain antenna, such as the 91XG yagi. KDVR is in the middle of the UHF channels, while the 91XG has the best gain at high channels, so I don’t think that would be the way to go.

Save yourself frustration and time and do what teleview suggested, Install the ANT751 above the roof and see what you get.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2013, 8:01 PM   #8
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Solar House , you are moving in the direction of receiving , less , less , less , less and less Tv stations/channels.

And installing the antenna at a location that will be the cause of situation/problems with reception.

As always it is your choice , you can install any antenna that you choose and install the antenna at the location of your choice.
Old 23-Oct-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

At a minimum, move the antenna to several various locations within the attic. You might just have the antenna in a "dead" spot for that station. It happens frequently with signals that are blocked by hills and even more commonly within attics.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote