TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Mar-2014, 2:05 PM   #1
spdrcr5

Can someone double check my planned equipment?

Here is my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b941ffe0f7545

From these stations, I am only interested in receiving: KADN, KATC, KLFY, KLPB, and WVLA. The two issues here are that KLFY is a VHF-HI channel, with all others being UHF, and that WVLA is 46 miles to the east, while all other channels around about 20 miles to the north.

I plan on mounting the antenna in my attic above the carport, and it will be about 15 feet above ground level. My roof is standard shingles, no tile or anything. My cable run from antenna to television won't be more than 50 feet.

I plan on purchasing the HBU22 antenna (http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HBU22&ss=60050), and I had a few questions.

1. Is this the right antenna for the job?
2. Will I need to install a pre-amplifier for the antenna? If so, recommendations on specs?
3. If it is going inside of my attic, do I need to ground the antenna? I know it's recommended for outside installations.
4. When I set up, I'm assuming I will point the antenna east towards the far station, and it should pick up the ones to the north?
5. When mounting in the attic, can I hang it from the ceiling from a mast, instead of mounting the mast on the ground? Just to give me a little extra space to move around?

Please let me know if there is any additional information you need. I really appreciate any advice I can get!
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2014, 8:24 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
-----
Attics and the inside of buildings Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

Install the HBU22 antenna in the attic aimed at about 73 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

If reception situations happen in the attic that not resolvable with antenna aim adjustments and antenna location adjustments in the attic then move the antenna to above the roof in such a manner that the roofs and buildings are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in all directions.

-------------

Directional antennas such as and not limited to the HBU22 antenna receive the best in the forward direction.

A little less at front angles to the antenna.

Less at back angles to the antenna.

Less at the back of the antenna.

And receive the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

------------

Attics and the inside of buildings are environments that have have electric and electronic noise.

Connecting the antenna and coax with a coax ground block to ground will direct some of the noise to ground.

----------

Rigided plastic pipe hanging down from the rafters is what I most often use for installing the antenna.

Is easy to drill holes through the plastic pipe to put a long screw/s through into a rafter.

----------------

Most likely a antenna system amplifier will not be required.

A amplifier can make reception worse in a attic or inside of a building because the electric and electronic noise is amplified along with Tv signals.

And the Multi-Path Tv signals bouncing all around inside the attic and building are also amplified.
Old 14-Mar-2014, 8:27 PM   #3
StephanieS

Hello Spdrcr5,

I'm sure you're read many of the opinions regarding attic installations here. We often frown on them because before you even do your first channel scan you are putting your antenna in a potential hostile reception situation.

Further, attic installations can also cause green signals to not be reliable due to multipath or interference from household electronics.

Answers to your questions:
1. See below.
2. No preamp.
3. Others might have advice here.
4. See below.
5. With my recommendation a mast is the better choice. You could even use something like this:http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=610370581858. That would give you the mast and the ability to move a little bit without drilling any holes.

If the attic is your intention, no I would not use a HBU 22. Generally if you are going to install an antenna in attic you need an antenna 1 to 2 notches better than what your TV fool report calls for. This is to offset the attic conditions.

If I were doing this set up in the attic, I would do a two antenna set up. The first antenna would be a Antennas Direct DB8e. This antenna allows for independent adjustment of each panel to a its own heading. First panel orientate to magnetic heading 314. This will provide coverage for KADN, KATC and KLPB. Second panel of DB8e orientate to magnetic heading 73. This will provide WVLA. As a bonus, you should also see from the second panel WGMB FOX.

You'll notice you have a mixture of real channels 7-13 and 14 and above. This means you have high-vhf and UHF signals to plan for.

The DB8e tends to your UHF requirements. The second antenna, a AntennaCraft CS600 is a suburban VHF only antenna. It does real channels 2-6 and 7-13 only. I would use this antenna for KLFY CBS real channel 10. Orientate this antenna to magnetic heading 307.

You need a signal combiner. This in effect allows two antennas to be combined into one lead. The Pico Macom UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner at this time appears to be the only quality unit on the market that accomplishes this. Connect to DB8e jumper coax to UHF connector, connect CS600 jumper to VHF input. Run coax lead into home.

You might think this is a bit more than you expected. Generally with attic installations going up a couple notches in system is a good idea. It gives you a system that has enough extra strength to work in an environment where line of sight is not available.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 14-Mar-2014 at 8:32 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2014, 8:47 PM   #4
spdrcr5

Thanks, Stephanie! That is some bad news about the HBU22, but I figured I wouldn't get away that cheap.

I will take all of your other advice into consideration. Do you think that the HBU22 would be a good choice of antenna if I found a way to mount it on my roof outside?
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2014, 9:11 PM   #5
StephanieS

I wouldn't use a HBU22 because you have two very distinct sets of headings. The HBU22 is very generous with its beamwith (the ability it has to receive signals while not pointing exactly at them). Since you have directions of E and NW to contend with, that's stretching past what I'd be comfortable with in a single antenna application.

That said, if you mounted on the roof. I would install the DB8e in the headings suggested above and wait on the CS600. CBS KLFY real channel 10 is putting good signal on you. There are times if a VHF signal is strong, a UHF only design will receive it if outdoors. It's a sheer horsepower thing.

If mounting outdoors, this is what I would do first. I'd encourage outdoor mounting anyway. Antennas do best when they have the freedom to receive the signals with as little obstruction as possible.

SS
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2014, 5:07 AM   #6
teleview

+=>
-----
Looking at the , Tvfool Radar plot and channel list for the Digital Current Plus Pending Applications Included.

Starting at the top of the list and going down the list.

For reception of the , LOS=Line Of Sight , Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels in the Green and Yellow reception zones.

Down the channel list to and including WAFB-DT , Real VHF high band channel 9 , CBS.

----------------

If you have the HBU22 now.

Then antenna aim is about 73 degree magnetic compass direction.

You can start with the attic location and see what happens.

And you can install the HBU22 Above The Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , East , North East , North , North West , West , South.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.
Use the , ronard.com(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html.
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , http://www.ronard.com , or , http://www.amazon.com.

-----

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch lengths of , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , that makes good antenna mast pipe. The price is about 10 dollars. That is a low price for antenna mast pipe.

The pipe can be cut to make it less long.

----------------------

If You Do Not Have The HBU22 Now.

Then use a HBU33 antenna.

I recommend install the HBU33 antenna above the roof and be done with it.

However it is your choice of antenna location.

-----------------------
As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

Last edited by teleview; 15-Mar-2014 at 6:09 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.