TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Reception Devices

Notices

Old 26-Feb-2012, 2:34 PM   #1
DEDon

Issue with Eagle Aspen Rotor

I have a problem with my Eagle Aspen rotor and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
I had it hooked up and working with only one wire carrying the Antenna signal and the rotor drive current.
Since then, I ran the VHF/UHF down-lead into the attic and bought another cable for the remote box-to-the-rotor. I am 95% sure that I have the cables run correctly.
I want to ad that, since the cable display carton did not clearly indicate what type of cable it was, I mistakenly purchased and hooked up a copper-coated-steel center cable (all the the carton said was that it was "solid"....I looked at it and it appeared to be copper, not copper clad...there was no indication anywhere on the carton that indicated that it was "clad."). When I did this, the indicator acted erratically and the rotor didn't turn, as commanded. This set up was left in place for a few seconds...just until the issue was manifested, and shut off.
I ordered a solid copper center RG6 and replaced my control box-to-rotor cable, this morning. I attempted to do a reset of the control box, according to directions but, P01 was still in the memory of the box, after the reset.
The bottom line is: my control box is not moving the servo in the rotor...my antenna is not responding to the control box.
Could I have "fried" that rotor that easily?
I have another post in Antenna Reception that ended in my satisfaction but, this is just a new twist in my "cutting the cable," which I DID do.
Viewsonics VSMA 601C-10R Amp
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
DEDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2012, 2:42 PM   #2
DEDon

Rotor issues

This is my other thread:

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2938
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 26-Feb-2012, 2:56 PM   #3
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDon View Post
Could I have "fried" that rotor that easily?
I have another post in Antenna Reception that ended in my satisfaction but, this is just a new twist in my "cutting the cable," which I DID do.
It takes electric current and a lot of it to fry the motor. Your steel core cable would have substantially reduced your electric current.

I am not saying that this is the case, but I would suspect that your control unit was damaged before I would suspect a problem with your rotator motor.

Quite frankly, it seems to me that you would be well-served to follow the manufacturer's instructions. I suspect that you know that you screwed-up and have come here for emotional solace. Emotional solace is all good and fine. However, emotional solace will not give you a working rotator.

My recommendation is to redo your setup from scratch. Test the motor on the ground to ensure that the control unit and the motor are working properly. However, follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2012, 4:27 PM   #4
DEDon

False Alarm

Thanks for the reply but, I realized my stupid error.
I had the lead hooked up to the wrong connector on my rotor.
I put it on the correct rotor connection and capped the other one.
I still had a poor signal on a couple of channels and fixed that, as well, by eliminating a useless "run"...I had run the wall RG6 output to the dvd player in and then out to the TV input. That wasn't needed at all and, when I connected the wall outlet DIRECTLY to the TV antenna input, I picked up additional signal strength and now get all of my channels with no pixelation and no drop outs. Thanks again.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA