TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Feb-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
mc06

missing channels from the closest towers

I just installed a new OTA antenna (Channel Master 3018)and connected it to a new tv. It seems all the channels that I should be receiving from the towers that are less than 5 mi away I cannot get.

My profile is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9399784129b.

Antenna is about 25' above the ground and about 8-10' above the metal roof with one nearby tree (about 50' away). No other obstacles after that.

TV is a Dynex DT-32L230A12 and only has auto-scan with no manual so I can't check the missing channels...they just don't come in at all.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
mc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2012, 1:12 PM   #2
mc06

missing channels from the closest towers

I just installed an new OTA antenna (Channel Master 3018) and connected it directly to a new tv (Dynex DT-32L230A12. So far I am able to pick up 11 channels, but none of them seem to be coming from the towers that are closest to me. All the channels I am receiving are in the purple shaded list.

My signal analysis is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9399784129b

Antenna is about 25' above the ground and 8-10' above metal roof. One tree is about 50' away otherwise no obstacles beyond that.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Old 2-Feb-2012, 4:24 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc06 View Post
I just installed a new OTA antenna (Channel Master 3018)and connected it to a new tv. It seems all the channels that I should be receiving from the towers that are less than 5 mi away I cannot get.
The stations 5 miles away are repeaters for distant channels. There are 6 channels that can be received. The digital stations have subchannels that result in 11 stations that you are getting.
http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...earch&state=MT

By the way, all the stations are on high band VHF. A Y5-7-13, Y10-7-13, or YA1713 antenna would have worked well and been smaller and cheaper.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2012, 4:45 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The tv stations that are being received are , Repeater Transmitters , that repeat the original tv transmissions. Repeaters extend the tv stations signals into areas that the main tv transmission can not cover. Repeater transmitters are common , every where on this planet.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2012, 4:57 PM   #5
Electron

Digital Broadcast Tv Transmissions can also transmit more then one channel. The old Analog tv transmissions could transmit One channel. As an example , Analog channel 12 is/was One channel. In that same frequency space of 6 Mhz. , A digital signal can transmit , 1 channel , 2 channels , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , channels and audio only channels and data channels and more. As an example , on the tv screen the numbers , 12.1 , 12.2 , 12.3 and etc. , will be shown.
Old 2-Feb-2012, 8:54 PM   #6
mc06

Thank you for the quick replies. I guess I should have been more specific...

I am receiving the following channels: 4.1, 4.4, 4.3 from kxly (abc); 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 from ksps (PBS); 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 from NBC in kalispell; 28.1, 28.2 from fox Spokane. What I am missing is the CBS and NBC stations from Spokane (channels 2.x and 6.x respectively). Any advice you can give me on this would great.

Thank you again.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 2:51 AM   #7
Electron

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...callsign=68192. Type the originating stations call sign in the Google search box to get the phone number of the originating station. It looks like the originating station for CBS is KREM. Chat with the engineering department , explain the situation , perhaps the transmitter is down , or is transmitting on a different channel , or is ceased transmitting. As you may or may not know , there are REAL/ACTUAL digital channels and Virtual channels. The Real digital channels that are being transmitted and received at your location are listed as , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 3:01 AM   #8
Electron

The repeater transmitter/s are 4.6 miles from your location , all are LOS=Line Of Sight and all are strong transmissions. NO type or kind of preamplifier or distribution amplifier is needed to receive them.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 3:15 AM   #9
Electron

The repeater transmitters are at 2 degree magnetic compass , here is how to aim a antenna , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html