TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Feb-2015, 3:04 PM   #1
PCoaster

Lightbulb Need advice on antenna selection and other equipment-Palm Coast

Hi, I am new to Palm Coast, FL and am looking at putting up an OTA HD antenna. I told Bright House to shove their pixelated, freeze framing, over priced junk to the road. I want to install this right and get the best results.

I am located in the "E" section, here is the link to my analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c150af1d1769c

I intend to use a ground based mast (don't trust a roof mount to not leak) and go up around 20 feet. I only have two TV's to hook up.

All opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
PCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2015, 4:56 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

At first glance it looks like you'll need to get a bit aggressive if you want to include an ABC affiliate in your line up.

I'd use an Antennas Direct DB8E facing south. WFTV looks like the signal I would work the hardest for. Mounting high enough to clear nearby trees may be the only way to achieve reliable reception of the rather weak signal. Consider using the 'Juice' preamplifier from AD... The RCA TVPRAMP1R is a good alternate.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2015, 5:33 PM   #3
PCoaster

Thank you! I see that the DB8E picks up UHF, will that give me all the "local" channels (ABC,NBC,CBS, PBS, FOX) ?

I am not sure what frequency they each are on or if I need an antenna that does both UHF and VHF.??
Old 18-Feb-2015, 5:47 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You have a full complement of networks available from the south that are all on UHF.

Note: WESH, the only VHF channel in Orlando, operates a UHF 18 translator in Deltona making reception of the VHF 11 signal unnecessary.

FYI, the DB8e is still out of stock although we expect inventory to become available again by the end of next week. In this person's case, substituting a DB8 would be expected to work just fine.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2015, 5:49 PM   #5
timgr

Most of the stations on your report are UHF. Look on your report at the box below the list of stations. Looks like you can ignore WESH-DT 11 because it's also coming in on 18. WJCT 7 may be of interest,
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2015, 6:14 PM   #6
ADTech

The three VHF stations from JAX are in the opposite direction from Orlando. Odds of picking them up reliably aren't very good even with "extreme measures", so Orlando's stations are best focused on.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 18-Feb-2015, 11:37 PM   #7
PCoaster

Do you think I need (or should) use a separate amp for each section of the antenna and then go into a combiner...followed by finally going to each TV ?? Is this overkill? I just want to get my purchases made and ensure I got all the stuff I need.

Thanks
Old 19-Feb-2015, 1:19 AM   #8
ADTech

Amplify after the combiner if you're going with the DB8e.

Old 19-Feb-2015, 1:28 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

Keep it simple is usually good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCoaster View Post
Do you think I need (or should) use a separate amp for each section of the antenna and then go into a combiner...followed by finally going to each TV ?? Is this overkill? I just want to get my purchases made and ensure I got all the stuff I need.

Thanks
I would try one amplifier if you opt to use a UHF antenna and a VHF antenna. the RCA TVPRAMP1R has inputs for each type of antenna. If you opt for a single input preamp like the Antennas Direct 'Juice', an external UHF/VHF combiner will have the same net effect on system performance as the combiner built into a dual input preamp.

If you are thinking of two UHF antennas aimed at different markets, that's an entirely different design problem. You'll not find a passive combiner solution that can guaranty reliable performance. Most folks opt to use A/B switching or a second tuner box connected to an AUX video input on the TV... Cabling the two antennas separately, all the way from the antennas to the tuners. In this scenario, each antenna would need it's own preamp.

Edit:
I was typing at the same time ADTech was... His thought process and mine were on separate tracks. ADTech is absolutely right to suggest using only one preamp if you are using only one DB8E antenna. Obviously I was imagining a multiple antenna solution... Just to be sure, what were you thinking? One DB8E or a DB8E + VHF antenna or something else?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Feb-2015 at 1:40 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 3:45 PM   #10
PCoaster

I am going to go with one antenna, most likely the DB8e just to give me the best possible results in my challenged area. I know the DB8e has two sections that combing together and didn't know if it would be smart to preamp each section separately or not.

Sounds like I should amp them after they combine.

Many thanks for the advice, I appreciate all your knowledge and time!
Old 20-Feb-2015, 5:34 PM   #11
Jake V

The DB-8e does the work of combining the signals. Put any amplification after this.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Apr-2015, 1:21 PM   #12
PCoaster

I got the DB8e on a mast about 5 feet above the gutter, I am getting 54 channels in HD. I would never have imagined getting this many channels in such quality! I appreciate the advice very much.
Old 29-May-2015, 5:54 PM   #13
PCoaster

Why Does my signal go in and out?

I am looking for answers as to why a pretty strong signal would fluctuate.
Install Info:
DB8e on a mast - elevated 7 feet above lower roof line - clear line of sight
New RG-6 Coax from antenna to amplifier (then splits two ways)
The Coax from splitter to TV is R59 (I plan on running RG-6 down the wall
soon)
Amp is an Antenna Craft DAS-10G202

Best example in my question is that I pull a signal of 4-5 bars or strength (out of 10) for a channel and it looks great. I continue to watch and it will move to 3 or 2 bars and sometimes go blank. Is this normal? I don't know if it normal or if my equipment is the cause. I have other channels that pull 8 out of 10 bars and have blinked off for a few seconds then come back on also.

My analysis:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c150af1d1769c

Any help is appreciated.
Old 29-May-2015, 6:36 PM   #14
ADTech

Quote:
Why Does my signal go in and out?
Go read this thread: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15563 Pay attention to post #2.

Quote:
The Coax from splitter to TV is R59 (I plan on running RG-6 down the wall
soon)
Unnecessary. It won't change the issue.

It also helps if you provide aiming directions as well as identifying the station(s) involved.

My suspicion is over-amplification, a common problem when using high gain pre-amps in inappropriate locations.

Last edited by ADTech; 29-May-2015 at 6:43 PM.
Old 29-May-2015, 7:10 PM   #15
PCoaster

I am aimed at about 165 degrees (pointing south) I am just using an iPhone compass and standing under the antenna to guesstimate the placement.

The channel that has the most issue is ABC (9-1). CBS (6-1) is also one that does it. To test if it is the amp can I just unplug it or do I need to take the wire from the antenna directly to the splitter (to bypass the connection with the powered amp)?
Old 29-May-2015, 7:32 PM   #16
ADTech

I don't see any channel 9-1 on your chart. What are the call letters?

Unplugging the amp will turn it into a rock. You'd have to completely remove it. you need an amp, but the one you have may be a poor match for your conditions.

Old 29-May-2015, 7:36 PM   #17
PCoaster

Channel 9-1 is WFTV HD.
Old 29-May-2015, 10:24 PM   #18
ADTech

WFTV puts a lousy signal up in your direction. You're in a null in their transmitter pattern. You might get their channel 20 translator, you'll need to check which real channel you're currently receiving. FYI, it appears that TVFool has the wrong data for the translator.

Old 4-Jun-2015, 9:38 PM   #19
PCoaster

Since you said I really DO need an amp and the one I have may not be the right choice, can you advise a better choice? I would also like to know why a different one may work better , i.e. this one too strong and causing issues, etc?

I am not doubting you, I just want to learn.

Thanks for your time and knowledge
Old 5-Jun-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
No static at all

My 2 cents. . . . . . Do you ever see or hear any aircraft when outside? Anything below 2000-3000 feet can potentionally cause the kinds of signal interruptions you are describing.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote