TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Dec-2011, 3:43 PM   #21
DEDon

Almost Finished

I moved the Direct TV j-mount toward the S end of the roof and mounted the Rotor on it and then attached the 5' mast and the Winegard 7084 to the upper rotor receptacle.
I am going to apply the silicone around the feet (already used the patch material UNDER the feet) and attach the ground strap, today.
Since I am still attempting to determine the best set-up, starting with doing the least, I ran only one cable to the antenna/rotor and set up with NO preamp. This is what I am receiving:

REAL Channels

With the Rotor at 65 degrees,
26, 34, 17, 6, 35, 32, 31, 25, 42, 29, 27, 12, & 22, all with TV Signal Meter readings in the 70s and 80s.
With the Rotor at 230 degrees,
11, 13, 38

My downlead from the antenna to the rotor is a foot too short so I am not going to put strain on it be rotating beyond 235 degrees but, I am going to change that lead and attempt to pick up the Lancaster PA stations, after the lead change.

I believe that it is important to note, here, BEFORE purchasing a preamp, the choice of a which one to get is determined by how many splits and consequential gain losses one anticipates and has NOTHING to do with your reception. I have read posts where the poster is "hoping to pull in stations with weak signal strength with the addition of a preamp and, from my experience, that isn't going to happen.

This Winegard HD7084 is very impressive, pulling in everything that I expected except a few more Latino channels. I thought that I was picking up three when I briefly had the Clearstream C4 but, I didn't make at note, at that time, of what I was receiving so I'm not sure about the three just mentioned.

I am going to keep the two pre-amps that I purchased because I am eventually going to go into the attach and connect to a downlead to my (currently) cable splitters in the basement so that the rest of the TVs in the house will have OTA.

I wonder how many others that currently have to pay $50/mo for CTV that includes the sports stations (not available with the economy pkg) would switch to OTA if there was just ONE OTA sports broadcast for their area. Perhaps this should go in another sub-thread but, Why doesn't the consumer band together and boycott the cable companies for a couple of months and really cripple them into providing what WE want? Personally, I am probably going to learn a new life-style: LISTENING TO my Philadelphia Phillies instead of watching them.

Thanks to all of your guys for your info, suggestions, and recommendations. I feel as if I have done well with your help.

Just one more question. I've attached a couple of pictures of the new antenna and rotor. The mast is and inch and half 5'. The Rotor is sitting on the J-mount (which had a level sight glass in the top of it). I didn't feel top heavy but, IMO, it 'looks' top heavy. Should I be concerned?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2030.JPG (72.9 KB, 1208 views)
Viewsonics VSMA 601C-10R Amp
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
DEDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2011, 4:46 PM   #22
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDon View Post
Just one more question. I've attached a couple of pictures of the new antenna and rotor. The mast is and inch and half 5'. The Rotor is sitting on the J-mount (which had a level sight glass in the top of it). I didn't feel top heavy but, IMO, it 'looks' top heavy. Should I be concerned?
In my opinion, the J-mount is not sufficient for the weight/windload of the installation. A tripod with thicker legs will be needed & the lag screws need to be anchored through rafters or with some type of re-inforcement inside the attic. I've done a tripod mount before, but since I used guy wires, I just ran the lag screws through the roofs plywood under the shingles. I'm sure others here will be more knowledgeable with how much support a non guyed installation will require.

I would certainly address this soon as a strong cold front with high winds is due here late Sunday night.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2011, 7:41 PM   #23
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

I recommend lowering the HD7084P antenna on the mast so as to reduce the side ways leverage twisting in the rotating part of the rotator. A better way to do it is to have the mast that the body of the rotator is clamped to , longer and the mast that the antenna is clamped to shorter. The j mount with the brace rods will be a good strong setup if screwed/bolted in to the roof good and strong.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2011, 7:50 PM   #24
DEDon

Thanks for the opinion, NSAA. I didn't count all of the costs to include in this project and I didn't order a tripod. I wanted to spend as little as possible and ended up ordering an antenna that I have to return. Do you think that a 5' tripod would do the job without g.wires?
If I do use guy wires, do they make a special clamp that I could use to attach the guy wires to the upper mast or are U-bolts suitable? I would really like to find a clamp that provides an "eye" for the wires at the mast end.

[Watching the Alumni Winter Classic Hockey Game on Comcastsportnet. This is the only part of OTA lifestyle that's going to drive me nuts. hope not ]
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA

Last edited by DEDon; 31-Dec-2011 at 7:50 PM. Reason: smile showed html, not the icon
Old 31-Dec-2011, 8:10 PM   #25
GroundUrMast

The braced J-pole is far better than one without bracing.

5' tripods are very strong and make a premium quality foundation for virtually all OTA TV antennas.

If you have access to the attic, blocking between rafters can be added after drilling through the roof deck (it's easy to locate the blocking precisely once to hole has been drilled). Construction grade screws through the rafters into each end of the blocking will transfer load to the rafters. With bolts through each tripod foot, through the roof and deck materials and through the blocking, you'll achieve a very strong anchorage with little chance of fasteners pulling out under stress. Use pitch pads and roofing sealant (of course).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2011, 11:39 PM   #26
No static at all

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Just hate to see the next picture of the Op's antenna laying in the backyard. I've used the smaller 7082 & it is heavier than it looks & needs a sturdy mount, especially with a rotator. I would say it is at least as heavy as the 2 antennas in my photo combined.
Old 1-Jan-2012, 3:04 PM   #27
DEDon

I have searched for a couple of hours with no luck to find a guy wire ring/clamp that would allow the mast to turn inside the ring when the rotor turns. I am not going with a tripod mount bc I have a metal ridge vent on the roof and I'm still set on using my supported J-mount as the base mount. I was going to post this elsewhere in the forum but, can't find the right sub-forum to start a thread regarding this issue. Can anyone suggest an arrangement that may work for me, using the current base mount and rotor arrangement?
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 2-Jan-2012, 11:38 PM   #28
DEDon

Lowered the the antenna on the mast until the weather breaks. Bought some galvanized pipe (much thicker wall. There won't be any sway with these as masts.), today and had it cut to lengths of 2.5 feet each. I'll move the rotor up and secure the antenna to the upper 2.5 when weather permits. Lowering it, today, did not affect the reception. Waiting for a little warmer, less breezy weather.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 3-Jan-2012, 1:15 AM   #29
Electron

It is better to keep the questions and answers in one place , that way the information does not get all tangled up.
Old 8-Jan-2012, 4:07 PM   #30
DEDon

Final Setup Until Spring Arrives

I finally removed the 5' mast and installed a 2.5' mast that is 1.5" galvanized pipe. It is much heavier and more rigid than "antenna mast" material and I have adequate reception at this height.
I've attached a picture of what I have, now. In the Spring, I'll bring the cable into the attack and attach it to coax that runs down the far corner of the house and into the basement where my splitters are located so that I can supply my other rooms.
It is great to receive all of the digital and HD stations out of Philly, crystal-clear and without breakup. Now, for the first time in a long time, I am enjoying HD, FREE! Well...minus the things that I have purchased to make this plan come true.
Thanks to all who assisted. Pointed at 65-70 degrees (Where is the degree sign on my keyboard?), I'm getting all of Philly's transmissions.
I have rotated to 230-235 degrees and receive three or four Baltimore stations, as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan8afteruppermastrepl.JPG (38.4 KB, 1380 views)
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA

Last edited by DEDon; 8-Jan-2012 at 4:08 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 8-Jan-2012, 4:31 PM   #31
GroundUrMast

Where is the degree sign on my keyboard?

The character " ° " can be input by holding down the 'ALT' key and then keying "0176", then release the 'ALT' key.

You can Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. "Alt key codes" for many other special characters, or http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

for example ALT-234 = Ω for when you prefer to say 75Ω instead of 75 ohms. Or ALT-230 = µ as in 47 µV (47 micro-Volts)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Jan-2012 at 4:38 PM.
Old 9-Jan-2012, 1:14 AM   #32
Electron

Thank you for the positive happiness about the tv reception. I have some questions about digital channel WPVI-DT 6 ABC . The VHF low band of tv channels of 2 thru 6 are subject interference , more so then the other tv channels of VHF high 7 thru 13 and UHF 14 thru 69. I will like to know the quality of reception you are getting of channel. . What is the ongoing signal strength?? Are there any drop outs of reception?? Any pixelation?? . Any differences of daytime reception and nighttime reception. Thank you and please provide the information it is important , so as to better help the other question askers here with VHF low band tv reception.

Last edited by Electron; 9-Jan-2012 at 1:29 AM.
Old 9-Jan-2012, 4:43 AM   #33
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Thank you for the positive happiness about the tv reception. I have some questions about digital channel WPVI-DT 6 ABC . The VHF low band of tv channels of 2 thru 6 are subject interference , more so then the other tv channels of VHF high 7 thru 13 and UHF 14 thru 69. I will like to know the quality of reception you are getting of channel. . What is the ongoing signal strength?? Are there any drop outs of reception?? Any pixelation?? . Any differences of daytime reception and nighttime reception. Thank you and please provide the information it is important , so as to better help the other question askers here with VHF low band tv reception.
Absolutely! Your feedback here or in the Low VHF reception (2 - 6) Experience & Opinions thread would be quite welcome and appreciated.

Old 9-Jan-2012, 5:57 AM   #34
Electron

Low band VHF tv reception

I have Always Advocated the Reception of the Low Band Tv Digital Channels 2 thru 6. ground ur mast , dave loudin and some other helpers here at tvfool did every thing they could to steer question askers away from receiving channels 2 thru 6. And tried there best to stop me from Advocating and Helping question askers receive channels 2 thru 6. Now ground ur mast acts like he/she is all in favor of the reception of channels 2 thru 6. And must have invented channels 2 thru 6 in the first place. What a bunch of _________.

Last edited by Electron; 9-Jan-2012 at 2:26 PM.
Old 9-Jan-2012, 2:42 PM   #35
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDon View Post
(Where is the degree sign on my keyboard?))
Hold down the ALT key, type 0176 on the NUM keypad to the right of the QWERTY keyboard.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2012, 3:21 PM   #36
No static at all

VHF low is generally questioned with LD stations or ones with alternative programming. ABC-6 is very necessary in the OP's situation to receive all the major networks, so well worth the trouble in this case.

But VHF LO & HI are still more problematic for most with digital TV IMO. UHF rocks!!

Last edited by mtownsend; 10-Jan-2012 at 3:40 PM. Reason: Edited to remove off-topic comments
Old 11-Jan-2012, 10:01 AM   #37
DEDon

No Problematic Issues, here

This may not be conclusive but, without exception, every signal meter reading for the last three days (one in the morning and one in the evening) has resulted in a 78-to-82 reading that does not fluctuate as some other channels do. It is a steady 78 with no drops-off.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 13-Jan-2012, 4:50 AM   #38
Electron

Thank you , DEDon . Clear and steady reception on channel 6 , and channels other then 6 are not so steady. For low band digital channels 2 thru 6 , I do what I can to get the question askers the reception.

Last edited by Electron; 14-Jan-2012 at 6:53 AM.
Old 14-Jan-2012, 6:51 AM   #39
Electron

Necessary and not necessary reception , an interesting point of view , of an other helper here at tvfool. About UHF Tv channels 14 thru 69 reception , it is not the perfect transmission and reception that is implied by , UHF rocks!! In the past Analog UHF Tv transmissions were easly reduced and blocked by trees and buildings. And Digital UHF Tv transmissions are More easly reduced and blocked by trees and buildings then Analog.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 12:29 PM   #40
DEDon

Follow-up to original post regarding reception

A couple of issues are important IMO to note, here. Originally, I did NOT include the pre-amp in my roof-top array. I wish to add these notes to assist browsers on this subject in the future.
When I ordered my OTA antenna, I ordered two different pre-amps, figuring that I would just sell one of them once I determined which would work better with my set-up.
However, when I set everything up on the roof, I attempted to leave out the pre-amp, entirely, and test the reception that way. I was very happy with the results without the pre-amp and left it (both of them) out of the set-up.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA