TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2014, 8:07 AM   #1
HesperiaDude

Question High Desert, Southern California

Hello Guys im new to the forums and i need some serious help, i bought a Clearstream 2v a uhf/vhf antenna and im having a hard time getting channels 2-13 , from what i read im suppose to be pointed at 250.0 for the mount wilson signals but all i get is nbc 4 in hd but have trouble getting fox 11, cbs comes in snowy and i cant seem to find abc 7 kcal 9 and 13. I get pbs and other higher channels in different languages in hd, here is my tvfool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24333cc6ac062

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it
HesperiaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 8:26 AM   #2
HesperiaDude

Old 28-Sep-2014, 9:23 AM   #3
StephanieS

Hiya Hesperia,

If you are pointed to magnetic 238, you are pointed the wrong way.

The Mt. Wilson signals are obstructed by terrain and are very very weak. Your best bet is to reorientate your antenna to Magnetic 344 and shoot the translators on the hill that serve Hesperia and Victorville.

Make sure your TV scans analog signals as well as digital since many of the major affiliates that are carried by the Victor Valley Public Translators appear to be analog.

The upshot here is you may see the major networks, but only in analog broadcast.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 6:43 PM   #4
HesperiaDude

Thanks Stephanie, i have pointed it at 344 but theres no hd channels like you said just analog... i noticed a couple of houses down from me a home owner has the same antenna as mine but looks to be pointed at between 210 and 210 magnetic and tilted more towards the sky does the skew of the antenna matter? also is there a antenna that you can recommend that i would be able to receive the mt.wilson signals? I was thinking of the Winegard HD7698P, it would be nicer to have a smaller antenna but willing to go bigger if i can get all the channels in hd, Thank you again
Old 28-Sep-2014, 7:42 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

There is very little hope of reliably receiving the LA broadcasts on your side of the mountains.

Victorville has several translators, some analog, some digital, but that's about all I'd expect for you to receive.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2014, 1:12 AM   #6
StephanieS

HisperiaDude,

I could recommend an antenna, however if you have very poor access to signal it wouldn't really matter. To even try for L.A. signals you are into the extreme measures category. This means you are into situations like this:

VHF stacking:

These are multiple antennas stacked (working together) to create enough gain to overcome the extremely weak signal condition and get it up to decodable levels. Could you do this? Sure. Would it work for the Mt. Wilson signals? For the VHFs maybe, the UHFs likely not. You'll notice once you get out of the VHF signals from Mt. Wilson the L.A. UHF signals have co-channel interference. This means even if you could get the signals to decodable levels the interference from another channel on the same frequency could prevent reception negating the whole effort.

Stacking antennas isn't cheap either. Think about the price of 4 Antennas Direct 91XGs. $65 X 4. Two VHF stacked beams wouldn't be as pricey, but then there's spacing and technological understanding that has to be followed.

You *might* if stacking VHF beams be able to get ABC, FOX and KCOP from L.A. Anything else forget it. The VHFs would be the domain of a Antennacraft Y10713. In this situation, you'd have the Clearstream pointed at the local translators for UHF and the stacked Y10713's would handle VHF and be pointed at Mt. Wilson.

Unfortunately you live in an area that still operates some analog translator equipment with limited options or expensive and more work intensive options for some limited L.A. signals.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 29-Sep-2014 at 1:15 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Oct-2014, 5:35 PM   #7
HesperiaDude

Ok so it sounds like its going to be near impossible or a long huge expensive experiment to get it to work, so im thinking of pointing the clearstream v2 antenna at the victorville translators for the channels i cannot receive from mt.wilson and Im thinking of getting a Antennacraft HBU44 Antenna or if you guys think i can get similar results with a Winegard HD7694P its smaller and less in price, and one of these will be pointed at mt.wilson. So my question is Hbu44 vs hd7694p which would be best for my situation pointed at mt.wilson and edge2