Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Apr-2012, 4:50 PM   #1
OberGeiss

Question FM from 07083

http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

Here's my location report for FM.
Have two receivers and a balanced splitter from Thundercable 2 GHz
Also have Magnum DynaLabs ST-2 antenna although not mounted on roof yet.
Is this an appropriate ant for my location and should I cable it with RG-6?

Thanks,
David

...not sure why the link takes me to FM location page instead of my exact location......

Last edited by OberGeiss; 13-Apr-2012 at 4:57 PM.
OberGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2012, 5:21 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

...because FM Fool isn't set up quite the same as TVFool which easily allows report sharing. FMFool doesn't do that.

The mentioned antenna appears to be a simple base-loaded monopole much like the simple whip antenna used on automobiles. If your car radio picks up stations while in your driveway, this antenna should perform comparably if tested in the same location. If installed up on the roof, it should perform about the same as if you parked your car up there. Maybe Santa can do some comparison testing next Christmas.

Use either RG6 (suggested) or RG59 (shorter runs).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2012, 7:22 PM   #3
OberGeiss

Thanks AD...I am using your 91XG (rooftop mast mount) pre-mplifiwd with your CPA-19. Great combo!

Can I tap into the 91XG, so to speak, with an FM trap or similar, and cable from there to supply my two receivers with FM signal. Would such a trap or FM filter be cabled between the antenna and the CPA-19 pre amp assembly?

I am assuming that the Yagi would operate as a directional antenna when mounted horizontally?

Thanks again.

David
Old 14-Apr-2012, 3:31 AM   #4
No static at all

Any particular station(s) you trying to receive / improve?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
OberGeiss

Good Day, would like to get WDVR, 87.9 FM in Sergeantsville.
That's a pretty good haul from here but I could get some bluegrass programming including Woodsongs Radio Hour, which is a dynamite program:
http://www.woodsongs.com/affiliates.php

Best, David
Old 14-Apr-2012, 4:06 PM   #6
ADTech

You're probably 25 miles outside their coverage area. Even if their signal were stronger, it would get trampled by the Franken-FM station operating on VHF 6 out of NYC whose audio carrier is on 87.75 MHz.

Keep the FM system separate from the TV system as your reception of WLIW is too fragile for any mistakes or compromises. Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised you're getting it at all. I'd be more surprised if it stays available over time. Install an FM filter at the input to the preamp at the antenna. You can pick up a trap at Radio Shack under their catalog # 15-0024.

Yagi antennas are directional regardless of how you orient them. You just need to orient them so the directivity works to your advantage.

Cheers.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 14-Apr-2012, 4:26 PM   #7
No static at all

Looks like you are right on the edge of WDVR's reception area. I agree with AD Tech about keeping the FM separate from the TV system. Use RG-6 coax to help preserve the weak signal from WDVR. While the ST-2 antenna is a really good product, you will likely need a more directional antenna like this one to receive WDVR more clearly & help reject the stronger adjacent signals.
Old 14-Apr-2012, 4:27 PM   #8
OberGeiss

Thumbs up

Thanks AD...appreciated.
WLIW seems pretty stable for the moment...have not tried during bad atmospheric conditions or heavy rain yet. Just curious why you think I might have a problem long term with WLIW......will its broadcast strength be lowered or will competing frequencies drown it out, so to speak?

I am thinking of adding a VHF (low/high) rig up there to catch WKOB (RF 2.1), then combining that with the Yagi rig...unless of course you see that as messing too much with the current UHF spectrum I am receiving (inclusive of WLIW).

On WDVR, guess I will just have to stream it or move closer to Sergeantsville...would then lose NY OTA but I could grab the Philly stations I suppose. Just something for the future for other reasons obviously.

Is there any ant rig that will attract both VHF bands and FM that might be suitable for my set up.?

Many thanks again and your CPA-19 really helped me out.....hope to spread the gospel re OTA around here a bit.....

Best,
David

Last edited by OberGeiss; 14-Apr-2012 at 4:35 PM.
Old 14-Apr-2012, 4:38 PM   #9
OberGeiss

Thanks No Static!!!!
Looks as if the FM6 is highly directional. WDVR would require pointing in complete other direction in terms of where I would point for Newark and NYC signals. Can I combine the ST-2 and FM6 or is the FM^ such that it would pick up the nearby strong signals from the back?

Can always stream but nothing like the real deal ....FM!!!!!

Best,
David
Old 14-Apr-2012, 4:50 PM   #10
No static at all

The FM 6 will pickup OK off the back, but still not as good as a direct aim. I used a rotator with mine & it was an excellent performer. It did well with stations up to 80 miles away. It could even pick up 2 different stations on the same frequency depending on the aim.

The worst deal breakers with weak FM are electrical interference from overhead power lines & signal reflections from large aircraft. Not sure if you are in the flight path of Newark though?
Old 14-Apr-2012, 8:51 PM   #11
ADTech

Hmmm, 89.7, not 87.9.... No wonder I was having some problems finding the data.

Okay, that changes my reason for being pessimistic, but not the direction of my opinion.

Your problem won't be that Franken-FM, it will be WSOU which is forecast to be 50 dB stronger on adjacent channel 89.5 from just a few miles away.

I use our 3-element FM antenna aimed at a station about 60 miles west of St Louis and rely in it to receive the St Louis stations off the back, about 25 miles the other direction. A 6-element FM antenna would have a much greater F/R ratio, but would still pick up your local NYC stations just fine.

Last edited by ADTech; 14-Apr-2012 at 8:59 PM.
Old 14-Apr-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
OberGeiss

mea culpa........beginning to think that it might be problematic trying to put together FM rig which will pull WDVR 89.7 from Sergeantsville. I notice that there's a translator in Lawrenceville, perhaps a bit further as the crow flies, on 91.1....I'm guessing that it's a long shot as well....any and all expertise very much appreciated!
Thank you.
David