TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Apr-2012, 6:03 PM   #1
JDCentral

Talking Newbie with Antenna/Preamp selection

Looking for my first 'permanent' antenna -right now I have a pair of rabbit ears that have served me faithfully for ~10 years, but now that I own a home I would like to install something with a little more reception. I was originally looking at an AntennasDirect DB4e, since I would prefer to put my antenna in the attic w/o a rotor.

Here's a link to my report - I probably don't care about anything above channel 40, but 9,7, and FOX (I'm guessing channel 32, since 27 is in the opposite direction) are 'must haves'.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3616b9b91feefd

I'm going to measure the cable-run, this weekend, so I can get some accurate lengths for preamp selection.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
JDCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2012, 6:25 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

DB4e will likely leave you hanging for your three VHF stations from Denver. You'd have to add a high-VHF antenna to get the full complement of Denver broadcasts. The alternative is to select a modest high-VHF/UHF combo.

You're signals are forecast to be strong enough (before attic/roof losses) that an amp is unlikely to be required for a simple arrangement.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 13-Apr-2012 at 6:27 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2012, 6:54 PM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Your location has MANY easy to receive Tv stations/channels to the , north , south , east , west , If ANT751 antenna is mounted above the roof and aimed at about 180 degree magnetic compass. The ANT751 is not all that directional of a antenna and will receive the tv stations to the , north , south , east , west. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/900911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com. Buy the ronard mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the soildsignal search box or buy from ronard. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com. Yes you can start with the antenna in the attic and then move the antenna to above the roof when you find out that about a 1/3 of the channels are not being received with the the antenna in the attic. Here is the Federal Law that says Yes you can install and use antennas above the roof. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule. . How many Tv's are/will be connected??
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2012, 6:59 PM   #4
Electron

The Tv/s Must Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the tv setup menu because the the television transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to your receiving antenna. Do Not scan for cable tv channels.
Old 13-Apr-2012, 7:26 PM   #5
JDCentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
DB4e will likely leave you hanging for your three VHF stations from Denver. You'd have to add a high-VHF antenna to get the full complement of Denver broadcasts. The alternative is to select a modest high-VHF/UHF combo.

You're signals are forecast to be strong enough (before attic/roof losses) that an amp is unlikely to be required for a simple arrangement.
Thanks!

I likely don't care about those three VHF channels, anyway - they're mostly Spanish broadcasts.
Old 13-Apr-2012, 8:23 PM   #6
Electron

The 3 VHF high band channels are , KMGH-TV channel 7 ABC , KUSA-DT channel 9 NBC , KBDI-TV 13 PBS. Tvfool lists both the REAL Tv channel that is being transmitted and received and the Virtual channel that displays on the Tv screen. During the switch to digital some tv stations are using the old Legacy analog channel number even though the station is transmitting on a different channel. And some tv stations continued to transmit on the same channel after the digital transisition. Example , KMGH was transmitting Analog channel 7 and put in a new Digital transmitter that is also channel 7 , so the REAL channel and the Virtual channel are the same. Many other tv stations are transmitting on a different channel then the Virtual Legacy channel number , Example: KCNC was transmitting on VHF low band Channel 4 and is now transmitting on UHF channel 35. Tv antennas are selected by the REAL channels to be received , not the Virtual channels.

Last edited by Electron; 14-Apr-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 14-Apr-2012, 8:03 PM   #7
JDCentral

I stumbled across this site - http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html and am leaning towards the Winegard PR-4400 or 8800, since those Antennas have at least SOME response in the high VHF range - channels 7 and 9 are strong enough that I get them very clearly with rabbit ears, so hopefully I'll be able to get them with the 8800.
Old 15-Apr-2012, 4:15 AM   #8
Electron

I am aware of HDTVPrimer for a long time. The ANT751 is designed to receive Channels 7 thru 13 and Channels 14 thru 69. The UHF panel antennas are Very Directional antennas that have reduced reception at the back and sides of the antenna. The ANT751 will receive much better in all directions. I wonder what people read - into - information and arrive somewhere else. I sometimes tell my wife , the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west. A person can look at that situation any way a person chooses to , the sun will still come up in the east and set in the west. I truly believe that many people now days will look at and read this statement - yes you can - however what they see and understand is - NO YOU CAN'T!!!!

Last edited by Electron; 15-Apr-2012 at 7:52 AM.
Old 15-Apr-2012, 4:49 AM   #9
Electron

You say that the VHF high band channels are spanish channels and then you are going to use a Winegard UHF panel antenna. ????
Old 15-Apr-2012, 5:48 PM   #10
meridish

My opinion

Hi JD central,

I was searching the same way as you are for the right setup for me. I would suggest you this antenna. I know this does not show up in any comparison chart. But don't worry. You won't regret. It costs just around C$35. This performed even better than DB8. My DB8 is sitting idle now. Plus It is a VHF/UHF antenna

Item : 53-6165-1V make : Eagle star pro
HDTV Indoor/Outdoor
Passive Antenna (VHF improved)
Frequency Range VHF: 174-230 MHZ, UHF: 470-862 MHZ
Antenna Gain VHF: 30 dB, UHF: 36 dB
Impedance 75 Ohms
Noise Figure ≤ 3.5 dB

I am attaching its picture.

In my case I have installed this in my attic with kiztech - 200 preamp. It is facing 160 degree. I am getting all the channels which others are getting in my area. I am also getting CKVR (3.1) and CHCH on regular basis. Most of the people in my area have issues in locking them.

my tvfool is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3616e2d3ba0045

I don't think you will need a preamp in your situation. You will only need a good quality distribution amplifier depending upon how many TV sets you want to run. Please Don't take my suggestion lightly. Sometimes cheap products do perform well. We have used 4 of these in my friend circle. All of us are happy with its shape and performance.

Good luck

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53-6165-1V-L.jpg (9.9 KB, 1373 views)

Last edited by meridish; 15-Apr-2012 at 5:54 PM.
meridish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 9:36 PM   #11
Electron

Read what http://www.saveandreplay.com/ota_faqs.asp , has to say about Clone and Scam Antennas. I am in 100% agreement with saveandreplay and other honest antenna and tv reception dealers.

Last edited by Electron; 16-Apr-2012 at 5:07 AM.
Old 16-Apr-2012, 1:25 AM   #12
Dave Loudin

The antenna gain for that antenna is incorrect. They are combining the preamp gain with the real antenna gain. You are not going to get a +30 dB benefit on VHF.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2012, 5:34 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

@meridish, Using an amplified antenna followed by an accessory amplifier rarely produces the results you're reporting. I can't argue with your individual success though.

Given the large number of strong signals in this situation, an amplified antenna or an accessory amplifier would likely be overloaded.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
meridish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
@meridish, Using an amplified antenna followed by an accessory amplifier rarely produces the results you're reporting. I can't argue with your individual success though.

Given the large number of strong signals in this situation, an amplified antenna or an accessory amplifier would likely be overloaded.
Hi Groundmast,

With due respect to your kind self I want to clarify the following:

1. My antenna is not amplified model.
2. I am facing away from the CN tower to deal with the problem of overfloading.
3. This antenna has been tested in Markham, Mississauga, Brampton by five of us. I am using preamp as I have installed it in attic. My other friends are not even using any preamp as they have installed it on their roof using their existing sattellite dish mast.
4. The gain values mentioned by the co. may be a marketting gimmic. But my results are true. If any body living in GTA (Greater toronto area) is most welcome to come and see the results.

I am getting following channels

NBC(2.1), 2.2, , CTV 2(3.1), CTV(9.1), CHCH(11.1), ABC(7.1) CBC(5.1), PBS (17.1, 17.2), TVO(19.1), 25.1, 29.1 and 29.2(Fox), 36, Global(41.1), Omni1(47.1), mytv (49.1), Citytv(57.1), Omni2(69.1) and some times i get ION on 51.1, 51.2, 51.3

@Electron: I think it is not at all sin to buy a cloned antenna. If I am getting better results than DB8 then why not people should give it a try and save money. I am not at all a technical person. But I do belive the practical results.

Thanks

Last edited by meridish; 16-Apr-2012 at 1:06 PM.
meridish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2012, 4:01 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

Let's all show some respect for the OP... Back to @JDCentral's situation; A 7-69 style antenna (as recommend by @ADTech & @Electron) is the appropriate choice. A UHF only design will be at risk of poor results on real channels 13 and lower.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2012, 4:58 PM   #16
Electron

This statement is me and what try my best to do , and is not a reflection on any of the other advisors. I agree. My goal is to help the question asker get the best reception the First Time. Not have them trying this antenna and some other antenna and then another antenna and this amplifier and some other amplifier and this hardware and some other hardware. The question asker will question if I know what the heck I am doing. I am 100% serious about helping the question asker get the best reception the First Time with the Least amount of hassle.

Last edited by Electron; 16-Apr-2012 at 5:16 PM.
Old 16-Apr-2012, 6:16 PM   #17
Dave Loudin

@meridish, I think I found the site where you got the specs for this antenna. The full description is confusing, because it is listed as a passive antenna despite having these two properties:

Antenna Gain VHF: 30 dB, UHF: 36 dB,
Noise Figure ≤ 3.5 dB

A passive antenna has no noise figure nor anywhere near that kind of "gain". I suppose that the vendor did some cutting-and-pasting in building the web page that he shouldn't have. No matter, we don't have a clue as to the actual sensitivity of this antenna and over what ranges of azimuths and frequencies that sensitivity is maintained. Therefore, we can't match it to requirements as presented by TVFool reports. That is the reason you won't see us recommending it.

How tall is the antenna?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote