TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Jul-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
doug33taylor

Gulfport, MS area

I am at this same location (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=10514) and was really hoping to get some more information on how it was going the route the OP so took.

I am a complete novice but I did somewhat follow what was going on here. If I could boil down my thoughts down on to take the antenna plunge or not then, I would have only one question. Can I get the Saints game? LOL!!!

I want to just unplug my cable to the house and plug in an antenna so multiple tvs can be used. I am considering something like this

http://www.channelmaster.com/HD_tele...tenna_s/47.htm

But I might need an amp....maybe a rotor? I don;t have a clue what the best setup could be so any thoughts would be awesome. Thanks in advance, Doug

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Jul-2013 at 4:46 PM.
doug33taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2013, 4:54 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

To avoid confusion, I've moved your post to a stand alone thread. Your reception conditions may or may not match those of @jcc. To be sure you get advice or suggestions based on your actual conditions, please post a link to your TV Fool reception report.

Feel free to post to @jcc's thread, inquiring about their results, but let's work on the details of your situation in this thread.

Thanks, & welcome to the forum.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Jul-2013 at 4:56 PM. Reason: gramar / sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2013, 7:31 PM   #3
doug33taylor

Sorry about that and I understand now how my physical address plays its part in getting personalized advice and stuff. Thanks.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae27ccc2e38d

Although I am just learning tower coordinates and stuff, I have no doubt that an outside antenna will most probably be my best choice. I have been investigating the do' and dont's of making a total transformation but it is pretty technical to say the least.

WVUE Fox in New Orleans will carry many of the Saints games with a few on espn which I know I can;t get. From what I can see from my novice points of view there are 3 general directions that I might point my antenna to gain some stations including towards New Orleans.

As far as my house, I have exsisting cable input at a 4 way spliiter outside my house...and then 4 Home Runs inside to 4 hd tv's.

Immediate questions other than the antenna itself suggestions would be:

Would each TV need an amp or something? Sorry I am such a novice but when I take this plunge I am going all the way and with the best possible setup. Thanks for any thoughts on my personal situation. Doug

Last edited by doug33taylor; 31-Jul-2013 at 7:38 PM.
Old 31-Jul-2013, 8:20 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Thanks for the heads up re. your interest in WVUE. Even though it's a relatively weak signal, it should be receivable with the right antenna and a mounting location that is not obstructed by trees or buildings.

Given that you have 4 TVs to serve, a rotator is impractical... the control is going to be in one location and if there is a desire to aim in more than one direction... arrrrgh!

There are several ways to go about this still.

A premium solution that I would consider would be a Winegard HD7698P pointed at about 80° per a compass. Fit that antenna with a Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier. To power the preamp from inside the house (the power supply should be protected from the elements and the preamplifier needs to be located on the mast close to the antenna), you may need to replace the existing 4-way splitter with one that passes power... http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...Fe-DQgodLgMASg

Then, to get WVUE, you'll need to consider your households viewing needs/wants/habits. If you all agree that Saints games are all that's watched when available, a rotator may still make sense. If you are going to find the lack of normal viewing during Saints games a problem for one or more of the household, you'll need to consider the installation of a dedicated 'Saints' antenna. Which way makes sense for you?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Jul-2013 at 9:02 PM. Reason: sp. Model # typo
Old 31-Jul-2013, 8:44 PM   #5
doug33taylor

Thanks for taking the time to respond first off. Good stuff and I greatly appreciate it for sure.

I was thinking that a new 4 way splitter would be in order because the exsisting one came from the cable company and it is quite old to say the least. Also, my understanding of the pre-amp is that it will be installed before said splitter in a enviorment friendly way of course. That is what I am reading anyway

I can easily see my antenna pointed at 80° per compass as a daily basis as you suggest. And then come football time I can add to my pre-game ritual. WHO DAT...WHO DAT...WHO DAT say they gonna turn the antenna. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your time and I will be looking into this package you have suggested for sure. I was going crazy like many others trying to pick out the antenna itself and had a general idea of potential setups after that. You are awesome man....this website is awesome...
Old 31-Jul-2013, 8:49 PM   #6
doug33taylor

THANKS!!! How can I repay your generosity?
Old 31-Jul-2013, 8:58 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

You have something that you can share with someone else. Just pass it on...

A premium grade rotator would be the Hy-Gain AR-40. http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=AR-40

If that's too pricey, then consider the CM-9521A or NTE U-105 or U-106. If you use the Channel Master or NTE type rotator I would strongly suggest adding a TB-105 thrust bearing to the install.

http://www.3starinc.com/tb-105_thrus...a_rotator.html
http://www.3starinc.com/nte_u-106_an...ontroller.html
http://www.channelmaster.com/Best_An...9521A_s/63.htm

Old 31-Jul-2013, 9:01 PM   #8
doug33taylor

Edit: I will no doubt share this info for sure. My neighbor is trying a terk I believe is the name of it and we kinda got lost on if it was a good setup and even which way to point the thing. LOL!!! Great stuff right here. Thanks, Doug

Last edited by doug33taylor; 31-Jul-2013 at 9:07 PM.
Old 31-Jul-2013, 9:03 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

OOOps

Winegard HD7698P

typo is fixed in the original post, thanks