TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Jul-2013, 2:16 AM   #1
vpriddy

Lightbulb Antenna Recommendations?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aee8e1a25b9b

Most of the channels available in my area come in fairly well with a turnstile bowtie antenna that I made, currently mounted about 13 feet AGL. There is only one channel, PBS, that I do not get reception on and would very much like to. It is also very important that I be able to continue to receive ION, which is the only station that is not located on the same path as the rest of the stations.

What are my best options for picking up PBS? Would adding another antenna, such as a LPDA, be the best way to go? And if so, what would be the best way to combine the signals? Or is there another way to achieve this without having to combine two antennas or using a rotor? If I have to use two antennas, would I be better off leaving the turnstile bowtie up or going with a regular, one-direction bowtie aimed at the ION transmitter?

Thanks in advance for any help on this. I am very new to building and understanding antennas and all things associated with it. I have attached a picture of the turnstile antenna that I am currently using so there is not confusion on it, as I may not even be calling it by the right name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turnstile Antenna resized.jpg (171.3 KB, 1262 views)
vpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2013, 5:03 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Can you mount the existing antenna higher?

Have you run reception reports for higher elevations? When I click on the call sign of the WPBY entry of your reception report, the path profile suggests that you may not be able to get LOS (line of sight) without going up quite far... but it's still worth checking.

How many TV's are you going to feed from this antenna?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2013, 8:29 AM   #3
vpriddy

We are going to move the antenna up further on the roof and mount on a mast. Hoping to get it at least 25' AGL. I have ran a couple of reception reports at different heights but did not notice much change.

Currently the antenna only feeds one TV but will be 3-4 once I am satisfied with location and reception. I realize with this configuration that I will probably need a pre-amp to offset the splits and cable run lengths. Any recommendations on which one to purchase?
vpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2013, 4:12 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

It's rare that I recommend an omnidirectional antenna, but you already own it... so if you can find a location that produces reliable reception, great.

If that fails, we can certainly come up with an idea or two...

To drive several tuners you'll want an amplifier that can handle strong signal input. examples:
Antennas Direct CPA-19 (if you can find any for sale, discontinued)
Winegard HDP-269
Antennacraft 10G201
Channel Master CM-7778

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote