TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jul-2013, 3:42 PM   #1
Chimney Mount

Behind Hill

I installed a winegard HD8200U and a AP8700 on my chimney at http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6131603aa6 . I am replacing direct tv there were 2 coax in the dish so I split it at the mast and installed the short run without the power booster it recieved all nasville channels but channel 2 and channels from bowling green Ky. weakly. The power boosted side only recieved channels 5 and 8. removed power booster and got about the same as the non boosted leg. Manually set in channel 2 and recieve it intermittantly which is funny because its on the same tower as 8 which shows a 95% signal. I'm thinking of boosting the long run and then splitting off of it to the tv with the short run making that run approx 200 feet. Any Ideas?
Also is there a product to convert over air signal to HDMI so I can run it through my surrond sound receiver?
Chimney Mount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Stereocraig

200' sounds like a long distance, even w/ a booster.
Make sure your run is dedicated to the antenna, only.

A chimney mount may give you problems as far as moisture, birds seeking heat, creosote and/ or wind load loosening the mortar joints. Especially w/ something of that size.
If I weren't able to have towers, I would mount a tripod on the roof and reinforce it w/ strips of 2X4 on the underside.

All you need for audio, is to run your audio signal from the TV, or converter into one of your audio inputs. No need to convert to HDMI, cause it just converts back to an audio signal, anyway. Or, you could get a TV, or converter that has HDMI outs.

Last edited by Stereocraig; 26-Jul-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2013, 4:17 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

The Channel Master CM-700PAL, CM-7001 and CM-7400 come to mind: http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Se...Boxes_s/27.htm

Remember, an amplifier is not going to 'pull' any more signal from the antenna or air... it can only 'push' the signal though the cable and splitter losses that are connected to the output side of the amplifier. This means you may need to consider other mounting options, higher is often the direction to go.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2013, 8:35 PM   #4
Chimney Mount

Thanks for the info, channel 2 decided to work on the Sharp tv's but 17 is intermittant the JVC only gets 4, 5, and 8 but has a 15 foot longer run than the longest Sharp I left the split at the mast alone and the power booster is still out of the system so the runs are 65 130 and 145 feet the JVC is on the long run. In analog days I had 1000 feet of coax going to a 35 foot tower on top of the hill with Radio Shack power boosters (3 I think but they kept going out) with pretty good results when the boosters worked
Old 26-Jul-2013, 8:48 PM   #5
teleview

Some splitters are power passing and some splitters do not pass power.

The power from the , preamp power supply/power injector , must be able to get to the preamp unit.

Aim the antenna at about 352 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html/.

As always , the strating antenna aim direction --> is the starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim direction can adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some Digital Tv's also have a signal quality meter.

Here are web sites that provide information you are looking for.

http://www.epvision.com.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

http://www.sewelldirect.com.

http://www.ramelectronics.net.

Last edited by teleview; 28-Jul-2013 at 7:04 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 28-Jul-2013, 3:26 AM   #6
Chimney Mount

Thanks for the websites, when I had the power booster hooked up there were no splitters between the booster and the power supply. Iaimed the antenna about 340 aiming 330 gets strong channel 2 340 is as far as I can turn it and still get 2 but 17 is still intermittant. The Channel Master web sites had splitters (distribution Amplifiers) can't figure out if both legs are amplified and if power supply comes separate. I found a tuner hdmi converter on amazon so I can run it through my surrond sound it gets here next week
Old 28-Jul-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimney Mount View Post
Thanks for the websites, when I had the power booster hooked up there were no splitters between the booster and the power supply. Iaimed the antenna about 340 aiming 330 gets strong channel 2 340 is as far as I can turn it and still get 2 but 17 is still intermittant. The Channel Master web sites had splitters (distribution Amplifiers) can't figure out if both legs are amplified and if power supply comes separate. I found a tuner hdmi converter on amazon so I can run it through my surrond sound it gets here next week
So, I'm guessing you don't have any RCA outputs on your tuner?
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2013, 3:11 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
I installed a winegard HD8200U and a AP8700 on my chimney.....
Consider FM overload of your preamp. WBUZ, WWTN, and WFCM are LOS and very strong.

Try this installed between the antenna and the preamp.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...on_filter.html

Last edited by Tower Guy; 28-Jul-2013 at 8:47 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2013, 8:28 PM   #9
teleview

Try adjusting antenna aim direction.

Try higher and lower antenna heights.

Even a few inches can make a difference in reception.

Connect a ->NEW<->Long Continues Length of Coax to the antenna and connect to the tv's one at a time bypassing all the other coaxes and connections.

Try with amplifier connected and with out amplifier connected.

Try a Winegard HD7084P antenna. My evaluation is the HD7084P antenna does better at receiving.

My evaluation is that JVC and Sharp do not have sensitive tuners.

The best Tv's/tuners are , not in any order are , Sony , LG , Samsung , Panasonic.

Last edited by teleview; 2-Aug-2013 at 4:10 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Jul-2013, 3:22 AM   #10
Chimney Mount

My receiver has rca inputs but it also uprates the picture to 1080p through the hdmi.
Thanks for the info on the filter. My preamp has a FM trap should I try both it and the filter
Old 29-Jul-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
No static at all

Quote:
My preamp has a FM trap should I try both it and the filter
Try the internal trap first by itself & see if it helps. You may end up needing the additional filter as well if not. The preamp's internal trap is not very effective on the lower end of the FM band.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2013, 1:47 PM   #12
Chimney Mount

tried a separate fm trap it just dropped the signal by about a third took it out probbably try the amplifier again tonight. Was scanning channels last night and was picking up WHNT? Huntsville quite well with antenna pointed at Nashville
Old 2-Aug-2013, 1:58 PM   #13
No static at all

Did you install the trap between the antenna & the outdoor pre-amp module?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
Chimney Mount

left the pre amp out wanted to see what filter did getting to this antenna is not easy so climbing down reinstalling power supply and then hooking up preamp will wait untill tomorrow. Bought a Iview tuner HDMI converter it seems to pick up a little better than the tv tuner, but the remote is a little "sluggish"?
Old 4-Aug-2013, 2:48 PM   #15
teleview

Here are stand alone Tuners/Recorders that have Better Tuners.

http://www.epvision.com.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

When Testing reception Without antenna system amplifier.

Disconnect and Remove All parts of the amplifier.

Disconnect and Remove the preamplifier unit.

Disconnect and Remove the power injector.

Disconnect and Remove the power supply.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the direction of reception.

As a Test for reception.

Recommend install a NEW coax from the antenna Directly to 1 Tv.

No amplifiers , No splitters , No couplers , No nothing.

It is the antenna , the New coax , the Tv/tuner.