TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Jul-2013, 1:39 PM   #1
brianccarr

Antenna decision unclear

I am cutting the cable. I have tried before at another home but didn't research what I was doing and had poor results. I have been reading around for about a week now. Originally I hoped to mount in my large attic. I am surrounded by trees and I'm pretty sure that from what I have read I just need to ahead and get an antenna up as high outside as I can go. I live in the country on eight acres so there is no problem with this. I had just hoped to not see the antenna. Here are my tvfool results. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae774d6eaba8

I am mostly concerned with picking up the major networks. So far I am considering the Clearstream 2v and the Wineguard HD7697. I will send the signal to three TVs with cable runs of no more than 40' to 50'. Looks like I will mount on a tripod or chimney mount unless the attic would work. I will also just tap into the Dish cables that are already running to each tv. I assume I won't need an amplifier but if so, a recommendation would be appreciated. I would appreciate any advice on antenna selection, attic or outside. I would also not be opposed to a multiple antenna setup to get the best results. Thanks again.
brianccarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2013, 7:02 PM   #2
teleview

Above the Peak Of The Roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception the directions of , North West , West , South West , South , South East.

Install a ANT751 antenna aimed at about 309 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

No antenna system amplifier is required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

Expect to receive the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels listed , Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital channels list in the Green and Yellow reception zones.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative effect on , broadcast Tv reception with a Tv antenna and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house and other obstructions.

The Best Practice is to install the ANT751 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house and other obstructions.

The Tv/s Must Chanel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the , 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select , 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 16-Jul-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 17-Jul-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
brianccarr

Thanks for the information. I will definitely be splitting to 3 tv's. Do you still recommend no amplifier? I assume also that an attic install would be out of the question? I appreciate the expert knowledge.

Brian
Old 17-Jul-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
teleview

As for the attic install <--> As a learning experience.

You can start with the ANT751 antenna in the attic.

If reception situation problems happen that are not resolvable with antenna aim and location adjustments in the attic.

Then move/install the ANT751 above the roof as directed.

Remove and discard , rubber weather boots , rubber weather boots take in and hold water inside the boot , this is not good for connections.

To keep Weather/Water out of outside coax and connectors , use the coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the old crimp type connectors.

To make double sure that weather/water does not get into outside connections use , http://www.coaxseal.com.

Can also completely wrap the matching transformer (balun) that connects the antenna to the coax with coaxseal.

For 3 Tv's connected , use a simple common 3 way splitter.

You can Test reception , with and without a , Winegard LNA-100 'Boost' antenna system amplifier.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.winegarddirect.com.

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

________

Sometimes HomeDepot and Lowes will have the ANT751 antenna in the store , no mater what the Home Depot and Lowes web sites say.

Last edited by teleview; 20-Jul-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 17-Jul-2013, 1:41 PM   #5
brianccarr

Thanks Teleview, I hadn't considered the ANT751 antenna before because the CBS and ABC tower is over 40 miles away (43.6). I have seen it gets high reviews but only has a 40 mile range. I will plan on ordering Thursday along with the coaxseal and see how it goes. Thanks so much.
Old 17-Jul-2013, 9:50 PM   #6
teleview

As always , attics and the inside of buildings Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

Reasons:

Multi-path/reflections signals bouncing all around.

Interference from other devices.

Absorbing the Tv signals.

Blocking the Tv signals.

____

The reception signal strengths of the Tv stations in the Green reception zone of the tvfool report are Very Strong Signal Strength.

As always<-->the mileage numbers of antenna reception are a general guide.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Aug-2013 at 8:16 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 4-Aug-2013, 2:42 PM   #7
brianccarr

Update: I installed the RCA ANT751 in the attic. I pointed at 307 degrees and received no channels. I did triple check the direction the antenna was to point. I assumed I just needed to go ahead and move outside, but before I did, I spun the antenna to the opposite direction and to my surprise, I received every channel. CBS is fairly weak but comes through 90% of the time. Sounds like I don't know how use a compass but I'm pretty confident I was reading it right. Just another thanks for the help, I'm enjoying high quality OTA tv now.