TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Aug-2013, 6:48 PM   #21
GroundUrMast

Have you run an FM Fool report to see what you're dealing with?

It doesn't happen often, BUT, factory built cables and preamps can be faulty on arrival. Connectors on antennas and matching transformers can fail to make contact after be reassembled one or more times.

Go back to the original antenna and TV configuration... prove the antenna, cable and TV are still good. Then add the preamp to the mix... add the splitter and second TV to system only when you have proven the preamp works... But again... don't discount the possibility that you can cause trouble when you disconnect and reconnect parts of the system.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2013, 7:50 PM   #22
kkozuch1

Okay hooked everything with one tv and it worked fine without the preamp. now when i add the preamp it does the same thing of not getting a signal when the pre amp is connected. This is the fm fool report i got

http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

It looks like there is some fm transmitters that are close. Could this be the problem?
kkozuch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2013, 8:24 PM   #23
GroundUrMast

Unfortunately, the FM Fool report is not implemented the same way the TVFR is. There is no way to post a link... you would need to copy the image and add it as an attached file.

The amplifier may be overloading if there's a strong FM station close to you... You could also have a bad amplifier.

Old 1-Aug-2013, 8:31 PM   #24
GroundUrMast

When I run an FM Fool report using ZIP code from your TVFR, I see several strong FM signals close in.

Be sure the fixed FM trap is set 'IN'. When faced with very strong FM interference, you can also add a second FM trap between the antenna and preamp input.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...A&gclsrc=ds.ds

Old 1-Aug-2013, 8:38 PM   #25
kkozuch1

Okay ill make sure it is in. Should i have to mess with the variable pin for the fm trap? and 2 fm traps would be needed if there is strong fm signals?
Old 1-Aug-2013, 8:51 PM   #26
GroundUrMast

I would simply use the fixed trap(s), the goal being to reduce the amount of FM signals entering the amplifier. I would resist any temptation to try to use the TV antenna for FM reception in this case. It would be unusual to still have trouble with FM overload with two traps between the antenna and amplifier, though it would be nice to see your actual FMFR.

Old 1-Aug-2013, 9:00 PM   #27
kkozuch1

Yeah i don't want to use it for any kind of fm transmission.