TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Aug-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Mike38261

Another newbie seeking advice...

....First of all I want to give a big thanks for the guys running the forum, it is a terrific site and I have learned a great deal since cutting the cable cord. I have learned a lot from using the search feature on here, it is an awesome resource.

I currently am running a setup of a channel master 3020, 18 feet up, with a cm0068 Spartan preamp connected with 30 feet of rg6 cable to one tv, no splitters. I have an older hdtv and I am using a converter box, and have successfully scanned 88 channels (including sub channels). I get about half of these depending on which direction I am pointed, and of course if it is night or not. I plan on upgrading to 50 foot mast and perhaps a cm7777 preamp, which would give me more gain than the 0068. I have a low power local station just over 3 miles away, (Max ERP:15 KW) do you guys think the 7777 would overload on that signal? I currently get it at 80% on the 0068.

I also know the 3020 isn't the most highly regarded antenna. and if you guys have any suggestions on better equipment, I am all ears. I am interested in getting the Nashville and Memphis stations if possible, as I only get then now about half the time. I have 2 trees in my yard which are perfectly in the way of most all the signals, but that will be corrected when I elevate to 50 foot. Here is a link to my tvfool report below, rated at a height of 30 feet. Thanks in advance to all the knowledgeable folks on here.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae21b494e69e
Mike38261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

How about a TVFR based on 50'? Thanks.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2013, 1:10 AM   #3
Mike38261

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae00a3e7606e

Thanks for the reply, still in the learning curve here. Posted the 50 foot report above, which will clear me of any nearby trees. I have got my eye on the 7777, just worried about overload on the ch 26 which I don't even care to receive. I believe I'm on the fringe of most of the others. I know some prefer the wineguard series of preamps and other equipment, any suggestions would be helpful, thanks again!
Old 13-Aug-2013, 1:57 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The CM-7777 might be at risk of overload or at least generating some inter-modulation-distortion. I'm not convinced you would see a significant change in overall system performance if you changed to another preamp.

IMO, your best improvements are going to come from mounting height/location... Overcome / avoid obstructions (Top of the list I think). And, added passive gain... Antenna gain is always better than amplifier gain. Antenna gain does not come at the cost of added noise and distortion. Amplifiers are for 'pushing' signal through cable and splitter loss. Amplifiers can not and do not 'pull' signal from the coax, antenna or air. Amp gain in excess of your distribution losses is of little or no value.

If you were starting from scratch or want an overall system upgrade, the Antennas Direct 91XG, Antennacraft Y10713 and Antennacraft 10G221 make a high performance combination. If you are using a rotator, similar to the Channel Master CM-9521A, the NTE TB-105 thrust bearing is a great add on that takes a lot of strain off the rotator housing... With a big antenna or combination, it's worth it.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 14-Aug-2013 at 2:09 AM. Reason: The purpose of amplifiers, formatting, gramar
Old 14-Aug-2013, 1:08 AM   #5
Mike38261

Thanks for the input, I do have a 9521a that I have not installed yet (waiting on permanent mast) and I was worried about the immense size of the 3020 causing rotor failure. I will definitely be purchasing the thrust bearing.

So the 91xXG and Y10713 would give me better antenna gain? I have always read that separate vhf/uhf antennas would give better results. I am going with your advice and getting my height and placement first, then I will go from there.

I always knew preamps helped with signal loss in coax and distribution, but I always thought they helped amplify some of those distant, weaker signals out of the negative nm range....am I mistaken?

Also surprised to hear of some of the most suggested equipment being available from RadioShack. I know they have a bad rep w/ some folks.

Tonight I am pulling in all Memphis channels (100 miles) without dropouts, hopefully going up higher with the mast and freeing obstructions will help w/ daytime reception.

Last edited by Mike38261; 14-Aug-2013 at 1:18 AM.
Old 14-Aug-2013, 2:15 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
I always knew preamps helped with signal loss in coax and distribution, but I always thought they helped amplify some of those distant, weaker signals out of the negative nm range....am I mistaken?
You're right about the loss in coax and anything else on the output side of the amplifier... But noise at the input of any amplifier will be amplified along with the desired signal. Then even the best amplifier adds a bit of noise generated in its' components. So you loose a bit of noise margin as you go through an amplifier. If you have an amplifier with a noise figure of 3.0 dB, it's going to negatively impact net NM by 3 dB. The lower the NF, the better, because there is less added noise from the amplifier.

Passive antenna gain is the only gain that improves net NM.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 14-Aug-2013 at 2:17 AM. Reason: example
Old 14-Aug-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38261 View Post
I do have a 9521a that I have not installed yet (waiting on permanent mast) and I was worried about the immense size of the 3020 causing rotor failure. I will definitely be purchasing the thrust bearing.
You DO NOT need a thrust bearing. Keep the mast above the rotor as short as possible if using the 3020. (6 inches or so) Having too mast above the rotor is the real deal breaker with light duty rotors.

My 9521 lasted many years (still works, but not using it) even though I used too much mast above the rotor for over a year as seen in this photo.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Mike38261

Interesting about the thrust bearing, I actually have an extra rotor motor that I believe will work with the 9521's digital controller, I may try it w/out it first and if it fails, I will have a backup. I have a feeling I have only just started experimenting with equipment and hardware anyways...

One more question for you guys, as I mentioned earlier I have an older HDTV without a built in digital tuner, I'm using a cheap RCA converter box for now until buying a new TV this fall. From your experience, are the tuners built into the televisions more sensitive/ better quality than the converter boxes? Or could I expect to lose a few of the fringe channels when switching to a built in tuner?
Old 15-Aug-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38261 View Post
From your experience, are the tuners built into the televisions more sensitive/ better quality than the converter boxes?
It's a toss-up as some models do perform a bit better than others, so really hard to say one way or another. A good antenna system & conservative amplification (if needed) should help overcome any inherent weaknesses in a TV's tuner.

Not being able to manually add channels is an issue with many TV's & can be a problem if using a rotor. It's also nice to be able to manually add channels when real/virtual channel conflicts are present.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2013, 5:05 PM   #10
teleview

In no order of recommendation. These Tv's have latest design sensitive tuners.

Sony , LG , Samsung , Panasonic.

Here are converter boxes that have high quality sensitive tuners.

http://www.epvision.com.

____

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.