TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Sep-2011, 2:02 AM   #1
akrob

Recommendation on antenna(s)

Hi all. I am new here. I have recently gotten rid of cable tv. I went for a while using streaming, but as it's football season again, I have realized I can't watch most of the games. I live in Centerton, AR (72719). I currently use an indoor antenna, which does pretty well.

However, I would like to receive Joplin stations, for games I don't get here. I have been looking at the ClearStream4. My local stations are mostly south of me, and Joplin is North of me, I know I have one of two options. Use a rotator, which I don't want to have to get into the attic, or use two antenna's. I would prefer the latter. I can easily connect the antenna to an existing cable on the outside of the house.

What antenna would you recommend, and would multiple antenna's be better?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8387fbc6823766
akrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 2:39 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I recommend a 2 antenna solution. First antenna a Winegard HD7694P antenna aimed at about 195 degree magnetic compass. Second antenna a Winegard HD7698P antenna aimed at about 342 degree magnetic compass. No antenna amplifiers will be used , and will supply signal to 1 maybe 2 tv's. How many tv's are/will be connected?? Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com , http://www.3starinc.com. Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 2:43 AM   #3
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You won't see the Joplin stations reliably with an antenna in the attic: you really need a fringe-area antenna mounted on the roof. If you only plan to have one TV set attached to the antenna, then a fringe-area VHF-high-band plus UHF antenna mounted on a rotator is the right choice for you. The Clearstream 4 antenna is NOT a good choice because it does NOT do VHF, and Joplin has VHF transmitters on channels 7 and 10. If this was my installation, I would install a Winegard HD-7697P on the roof along with a good rotator like a Channel Master 9521a and a high-imput preamplifier like a Winegard HDP-269 or an AntennasDirect CPA-19. The antenna with rotator and preamp would power up to 4 TV sets when used with the correct coaxial cable splitter installed in the line after the preamplifier power supply, but remember that when your antenna is aimed at Joplin that you may experience some degradation in the reception of your Ft Smith stations.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 2:51 AM   #4
John Candle

The coax cables from the antennas will be separate and Will Not be connected on to one coax. For one tv hook up the coax from each antenna will go to the location of the tv and a remote control A/B antenna switch will switch select the antenna and connect it to the tv. A/B switch , AB27RS. If 2 tv's are connected then 2 way splitters are installed on each antenna coax and the outputs of the 2 way splitters go to the 2 tv's and A/B switches.

Last edited by John Candle; 19-Sep-2011 at 3:18 AM.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 2:59 AM   #5
John Candle

An antenna on a rotor works ok for one tv , how ever if more then one tv is connected , disagreements will happen about what stations the antenna is pointed at. The 2 antenna solution I recommend will provide plenty of signal strength and reception of the stations to the north and south. And is easy to change antennas , push the button on the hand held A/B switch remote control.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 3:19 AM   #6
akrob

TV Antenna and Reception

Thank you for your replies. What I am thinking about is mounting the pole to a fence post, which I am not sure which one yet. When my house was wired with coax, all of the coax comes from wall jacks out to the side of the house. Currently it goes into a splitter for our former cable tv service (internet is still in use). So, the cables are nicely on the outside of the house already, but running new cable would be tricky. Reason I don't want to use a rotator is running the wire into the house.

I really only want 1 tv on the antenna, but possibly 2 at a later date.

I've seen some people able to use two antenna's combined to one coax. Will that not work?

Also, how long of a cable can I run without degradation? I'm thinking about 60 - 100 ft. to the top of the pole, to where the fence post I want to mount to. It is clear of trees and houses. Also, any recommendations on height?
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:17 AM   #7
John Candle

Active cable service of any type or kind , cable tv , cable internet , cable phone , or any other type or kind of active cable service Must Not be connected to a tv antenna and the tv antenna Must Not be connected to a active cable coax line. Yes you can use the coax that is in or on your house to get the antennas tv signals from point A to point B , however Do Not use a active section coax that has any type or kind cable delivered service. Do Not connect the antenna and active cable service on to the same coax.

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Sep-2011 at 4:27 AM.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:26 AM   #8
John Candle

This 2 antenna solution Will Be Separate Coax to the location of the tv and the separate coaxes from the 2 antennas Will Be connected to a remote control A/B antenna switch. The output of the A/B switch is connected to the tv.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:38 AM   #9
John Candle

As for tv antenna height , 98.6437890166789521 % of the time , Higher Is Better. The signal strengths are calculated at 20 feet. That 20 foot high antenna signal strength is calculated with no trees or local obstructions in the way of reception. So moving the antenna where there are no trees is the original calculation , so the answer is , at least 20 feet high.

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Sep-2011 at 3:13 PM.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
akrob

TV antenna and reception

Thanks. I will have the tv dedicated to the antenna, cable internet will be on seperate lines. Is it possible to use a diplexer to merge both antenna's down the same cable then split again when it enters the house? I would use an a/b switch inside at that point.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 3:08 PM   #11
John Candle

I made a big point and clearly stated the answer is NO do not combine the 2 antennas on to one coax. It is possible to separate and combine tv signals that are in different tv bands such as VHF and UHF in certain situations , However your reception situation has a mixture of both VHF and UHF to the north and south. Do Not put both antennas on to the same coax. Well you can try it if you like , you will find that reception results are less then desirable and you will go to separate coax.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:15 PM   #12
akrob

Antennas and Reception

Thanks. I didn't understand the techinical limitations of using one coax. Looks like if i want to do this i will have to pull another coax through the house. Again thanks for your help and patience.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:31 PM   #13
John Candle

Coax can also be wrapped around the outside of the house.
Old 18-Sep-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
akrob

Mast

I have decided on the antenna that was recommended. However, I have decided to try 1 antenna for now, using wall mounts to my house. This will use a 5 foot mast, putting it up around 12 ft. If I decide to use another antenna and put another 10 ft mast on top of the 5 ft, would it be stable enough or do I need to use guy wires?
Old 18-Sep-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

Any time you have two or more sections of swedged tube mast stacked together, guys are needed.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote